GNU MAke is not installed - BSD

This is a discussion on GNU MAke is not installed - BSD ; After installing OpenBSD 3.8, I wanted to go ahead and compile FreeRadius 1.05 from source. The ./configure script stops with: checking for gmake... no checking for make... /usr/bin/make configure: error: GNU Make is not installed. Please download and install it ...

  1. GNU MAke is not installed

    After installing OpenBSD 3.8, I wanted to go ahead and compile
    FreeRadius 1.05 from source. The ./configure script stops with:

    checking for gmake... no
    checking for make... /usr/bin/make
    configure: error: GNU Make is not installed. Please download and
    install it etc

    Make is there alright.

    ../configure for nmap seems to work well (not checking for Make I
    suppose). After the configuration has completed, I try Make on nmap.
    Which gives me:

    "Makefile", line 1: Need an operator
    "Makefile", line 14: Need an operator
    "Makefile", line 15: Need an operator
    "Makefile", line 21: Need an operator
    "Makefile", line 38: Need an operator
    "Makefile", line 49: Need an operator
    "Makefile", line 53: Need an operator

    Has anybody else seen this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    eirram@hotmail.com writes:

    > checking for gmake... no
    > checking for make... /usr/bin/make
    > configure: error: GNU Make is not installed. Please download and
    > install it etc
    >
    > Make is there alright.

    what you need is gmake, which should be installable as
    /usr/ports/devel/gmake/.

  3. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    eirram@hotmail.com writes:

    > After installing OpenBSD 3.8, I wanted to go ahead and compile
    > FreeRadius 1.05 from source.

    Regarding your questions, you should packages...

    If you really want to compile, check the following url :
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

    --
    Halaud, enhoiré ! Le GCU passe encore mais le GNU, jamais.
    -+- BL in Guide du Neuneu Usenet : A l'infu de fon flein gré.-+-

  4. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    eirram@hotmail.com writes:

    > After installing OpenBSD 3.8, I wanted to go ahead and compile
    > FreeRadius 1.05 from source.

    Regarding your questions, you should use packages...

    If you really want to compile, check the following url :
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

    --
    Halaud, enhoiré ! Le GCU passe encore mais le GNU, jamais.
    -+- BL in Guide du Neuneu Usenet : A l'infu de fon flein gré.-+-

  5. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    Thank you both for the suggestions. Unfortunately I am still stuck.
    Installed gmake from source (which worked fine). The Freeradius
    ../configure script is still complaining though. Also tried run it from
    outside of the source directory. No go.

    Will keep on searching, thanks anyway!

  6. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    On 02/11/2005 10:02 AM, Eirram wrote:
    > Thank you both for the suggestions. Unfortunately I am still stuck.
    > Installed gmake from source (which worked fine). The Freeradius
    > ./configure script is still complaining though. Also tried run it from
    > outside of the source directory. No go.
    >
    > Will keep on searching, thanks anyway!

    Perhaps because gmake is not being found first? If you install gmake
    from packages it should just work.

  7. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    Installing Gmake from packages helped a lot. At least the ./configure
    script is no longer complaining. On OpenBSD standard installation
    FreeRadius will not compile nor install without errors. The result is
    FreeRadius not being installed. Perhaps installing GCC will give a
    better result.

    Incidently, a standard installation of FreeBSD 5.4 (developer) plus
    gmake from packages, results in FreeRadius 1.0.5 being compiled AND
    installed AND working.

    If I get it to work as well under OpenBSD, I will post the result.

    Thanks

  8. Re: GNU MAke is not installed

    On 18/11/2005 9:13 AM, Eirram wrote:
    > Installing Gmake from packages helped a lot. At least the ./configure
    > script is no longer complaining. On OpenBSD standard installation
    > FreeRadius will not compile nor install without errors. The result is
    > FreeRadius not being installed. Perhaps installing GCC will give a
    > better result.

    gcc is already installed.

    Depending on the messages you get, compilation issues are usually solved
    by supplying third-party libs at the right versions, and tweaking
    options, headers and (if necessary) code.

    > Incidently, a standard installation of FreeBSD 5.4 (developer) plus
    > gmake from packages, results in FreeRadius 1.0.5 being compiled AND
    > installed AND working.

    *shrug* Well, they ain't the same thing, as you've found out.

+ Reply to Thread