why interface down? - BSD

This is a discussion on why interface down? - BSD ; we have box whith obsd3.7 2 interfaces on it used as smtp( proxy...) gate sometimes dc1 dies ifconfig shows it up but realy no any traffic i can "heal" it (if) by just down and again up logs are empty ...

  1. why interface down?

    we have box whith obsd3.7
    2 interfaces on it

    used as smtp( proxy...) gate

    sometimes dc1 dies
    ifconfig shows it up but realy no any traffic
    i can "heal" it (if) by just down and again up

    logs are empty

    can anybody help?

    ______________________________________

    ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=8049 mtu 33224
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    dc0: flags=8843 mtu 1500
    address: 00:80:48:fb:e2:07
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
    status: active
    inet xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast xx.xx.xx.xx
    inet6 xxxxxxxxxx%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    dc1: flags=8843 mtu 1500
    address: 00:80:48:fb:7a:96
    media: Ethernet 100baseTX full-duplex
    status: active
    inet xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast xx.xx.xx.xx
    inet6 xxxxxxxxxx%dc1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
    pflog0: flags=141 mtu 33224
    pfsync0: flags=0<> mtu 2020
    enc0: flags=0<> mtu 1536

  2. Re: why interface down?

    On 26/10/2005 3:32 PM, sergeyvy@mail.ru wrote:
    > we have box whith obsd3.7
    > 2 interfaces on it
    >
    > used as smtp( proxy...) gate
    >
    > sometimes dc1 dies
    > ifconfig shows it up but realy no any traffic
    > i can "heal" it (if) by just down and again up
    >
    > logs are empty

    I've had NICs refuse to transfer packets when they got too hot. Perhaps
    this hardware is simply bad.

    It's not unheard of for NICs to get angry if the cable is flaky, too
    (though, I'd expect it to log these expressions of anger.) May as well
    check to make sure your cables are sound. For example, what if you
    simply swap the cables from dc0 to dc1? If dc0 starts to act up, it's a
    link problem at the cable.

  3. Re: why interface down?

    thanx !

    you are right
    they are 2 old "compex" pci card

    think realy need hardware upgrade

    PS.
    OBSD works so fine, that's the hardware should be the first thing to
    worry about

    clvrmnky wrote:
    > On 26/10/2005 3:32 PM, sergeyvy@mail.ru wrote:
    >
    >> we have box whith obsd3.7
    >> 2 interfaces on it
    >>
    >> used as smtp( proxy...) gate
    >>
    >> sometimes dc1 dies
    >> ifconfig shows it up but realy no any traffic
    >> i can "heal" it (if) by just down and again up
    >>
    >> logs are empty
    >>

    > I've had NICs refuse to transfer packets when they got too hot. Perhaps
    > this hardware is simply bad.
    >
    > It's not unheard of for NICs to get angry if the cable is flaky, too
    > (though, I'd expect it to log these expressions of anger.) May as well
    > check to make sure your cables are sound. For example, what if you
    > simply swap the cables from dc0 to dc1? If dc0 starts to act up, it's a
    > link problem at the cable.

  4. Re: why interface down?

    clvrmnky wrote:

    > It's not unheard of for NICs to get angry if the cable is flaky, too
    > (though, I'd expect it to log these expressions of anger.)

    And in this case we can see that dc is fixed to 100full, while dc0 would be
    able to autonegotiate in case of weird connection.

  5. Re: why interface down?

    On 27/10/2005 3:50 PM, Dorian BŁttner wrote:
    > clvrmnky wrote:
    >
    >> It's not unheard of for NICs to get angry if the cable is flaky, too
    >> (though, I'd expect it to log these expressions of anger.)

    > And in this case we can see that dc is fixed to 100full, while dc0 would be
    > able to autonegotiate in case of weird connection.

    Nice catch. I noticed that but didn't think of the significance. Looks
    like the card is failing to auto-negotiate, and gives up the ghost.
    Something bad is happening at the link level, possible on the cable or
    on the other end of the cable on dc1.

+ Reply to Thread