D-Link DWL-G510 - BSD

This is a discussion on D-Link DWL-G510 - BSD ; I have an D-Link wireless PCI card model DWL-G510. It has an Atheros AR5005G Chipset. It is not on the list of supported hardware. My question is how does this work as far as new hardware becoming supported? Who would ...

  1. D-Link DWL-G510

    I have an D-Link wireless PCI card model DWL-G510. It has an Atheros AR5005G
    Chipset. It is not on the list of supported hardware.

    My question is how does this work as far as new hardware becoming supported?
    Who would I contact to request support for this card. Does some hardware
    just never get supported?

    I know the right answer is buy a card that is supported. I am looking for
    some other answer. I have the card running under FreeBSD using the Project
    Evil or 'ndis' drivers. Obviously this is not secure and uses fricking
    Windows drivers on BSD a big no-no. (Hence the name...) Nevertheless, I
    would like to know if there is a hack to get my card working under OpenBSD.
    I am using it as home desktop and want to set up a simple firewall with it.
    If you are going to lecture me on how wrong this all his then don't bother
    posting I already know about your religious OpenBSD zeal. Indeed I
    appreciate your devotion to security and I believe that is one of the most
    desirable assets of the OS. If you have hacked a wireless card or other
    network card into OpenBSD then let me know.

    Thanks,

    Ian

  2. ftpchroot syntax

    _____
    Hello,

    Using OBSD 3.6 generic. Have several user IDs set up. Want to allow
    ftp access to common area such as /var/spool/pub, but at same time use
    /etc/ftpchroot file to "lock up" users in this directory. What is
    correct syntax in the /etc/ftpchroot file, and what are correct options
    for /usr/libexec/ftpd ?

    Currently ftpchroot has:
    # $OpenBSD: ftpchroot,v 1.3 1996/07/18 12:12:47 deraadt Exp $
    #
    # list of users (one per line) given ftp access to a chrooted area.
    # read by ftpd(8).
    #
    # list permitted users
    #
    user_1
    user_2
    user_3

    and

    /usr/libexec/ftpd -l -l -n -D

    The above results in users being locked into their home directory. The
    man page for ftpd is not clear enough for me. I also checked the
    FreeBSD Handbook. The ftpchroot file can specify a directory after the
    user name, but that does not seem to work with OBSD.

    Regards / JCH

+ Reply to Thread