Q: Host my own webpage with BSD w/o using Hosting Service, possible? - BSD

This is a discussion on Q: Host my own webpage with BSD w/o using Hosting Service, possible? - BSD ; I've very limited budget, the hosting services out there charge minimal US$5.00/month with restriction on download and upload traffic. I wonder if that possible to install OpenBSD into a PC [P4 1.6Ghz 256 RAM with 40 G HD ] I ...

  1. Q: Host my own webpage with BSD w/o using Hosting Service, possible?

    I've very limited budget, the hosting services out there charge minimal
    US$5.00/month with restriction on download and upload traffic.

    I wonder if that possible to install OpenBSD into a PC [P4 1.6Ghz 256
    RAM with 40 G HD ] I got it free from a friend then set up as my very
    personal web hosting service with regular broadband connection?

    I am an artist would like to show off my multimedia work for free, but
    those free hosting services out there came with catch: advertising and
    pop up and limitation on applications. Paid service may cost me more
    than I could afford.

    Please help.

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Q: Host my own webpage with BSD w/o using Hosting Service, possible?

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:46:44 -0400, Dummy wrote:

    > I've very limited budget, the hosting services out there charge minimal
    > US$5.00/month with restriction on download and upload traffic.
    >
    > I wonder if that possible to install OpenBSD into a PC [P4 1.6Ghz 256
    > RAM with 40 G HD ] I got it free from a friend then set up as my very
    > personal web hosting service with regular broadband connection?
    >
    > I am an artist would like to show off my multimedia work for free, but
    > those free hosting services out there came with catch: advertising and
    > pop up and limitation on applications. Paid service may cost me more
    > than I could afford.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    short answer: yes
    long answer: check your TOS with your ISP to make sure there are no issues
    running servers with your plan. You are also going to need to register a
    domain, and assuming you have a static ip, have that domain point at your
    ip, if you have a dynamic ip there are a range of options, including using
    a dyndns domain and having your 'ideal' domain redirecting at that
    There are other issues but these are enough to get you started :-)

  3. Re: Q: Host my own webpage with BSD w/o using Hosting Service, possible?

    Dummy wrote:
    > Assume I am stick to dynamic, how do I obtain and using dynds domain?

    I like http://freedns.afraid.org/

    Free of charge, easy to use and plenty of domains to choose from.

+ Reply to Thread