Restoring a deleted directory - BSD

This is a discussion on Restoring a deleted directory - BSD ; Hi, Does anyone know of a way to restore a deleted directory on OpenBSD 3.7? I've just deleted directory of files and I need them back. I've tried downloading Sleuth Kit http://www.sleuthkit.org/ however I can only figure out how to ...

  1. Restoring a deleted directory

    Hi,

    Does anyone know of a way to restore a deleted directory on OpenBSD 3.7?

    I've just deleted directory of files and I need them back.

    I've tried downloading Sleuth Kit
    http://www.sleuthkit.org/

    however I can only figure out how to restore delete files (in existing
    directories), and not directories and files

    Can anyone help please
    Pritchie

  2. Re: Restoring a deleted directory

    In article <3bt5f.1356$S_1.1146@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>,
    Pritchie wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Does anyone know of a way to restore a deleted directory on OpenBSD 3.7?
    >
    >I've just deleted directory of files and I need them back.
    >
    >I've tried downloading Sleuth Kit
    >http://www.sleuthkit.org/
    >
    >however I can only figure out how to restore delete files (in existing
    >directories), and not directories and files
    >
    >Can anyone help please
    >Pritchie

    Ouch. Basically, you can't. On a Unix system, generally, deleted stuff is
    the first stuff that gets reused.

    In case files are really, really important, unmounting the affected filesystem
    quickly is about the best way around (I would even go farther and pull
    the power plug, reboot single-user, fsck everything but the affected
    partition, and try to recover the files at that point if that was REALLY
    important files.

    From what you've mentionned (e.g., not unmount fs quickly), I'd say those
    files are pretty far gone...

+ Reply to Thread