root on raid - BSD

This is a discussion on root on raid - BSD ; Good morning alltogether Every now and then I play around with the BSD fancies and so came that the root-on-raid-stuff in the raidctl manual pulled my interest. As I don't have any small partition for /, but a raid0a, I ...

  1. root on raid

    Good morning alltogether

    Every now and then I play around with the BSD fancies and so came that the
    root-on-raid-stuff in the raidctl manual pulled my interest. As I don't
    have any small partition for /, but a raid0a, I built a bootable CD from
    the ramdisk_cd directory, not without adjusting some kernel-parameters in
    RAMDISK_CD before. However, raid autoconfigure stuff is in the kernel and
    raidctl -A root raid0 is done. And raid0a is well populated.
    Now, when the machine boots off the CD, it says root partition has size 0
    (babbling something like root on wd0a?). I'd guess that the "config bsd"
    option should be set to something like "root on raid0a" instead of
    "generic", but the make process then yielded "no such option", and I just
    can't find a complete list of possible options.

    Any more hints on how to get started with raid0a?

    Thanks,
    Dorian

  2. Re: root on raid

    Dorian B?ttner wrote:
    > Good morning alltogether
    >
    > Every now and then I play around with the BSD fancies and so came that the
    > root-on-raid-stuff in the raidctl manual pulled my interest. As I don't
    > have any small partition for /, but a raid0a, I built a bootable CD from
    > the ramdisk_cd directory, not without adjusting some kernel-parameters in
    > RAMDISK_CD before. However, raid autoconfigure stuff is in the kernel and
    > raidctl -A root raid0 is done. And raid0a is well populated.
    > Now, when the machine boots off the CD, it says root partition has size 0
    > (babbling something like root on wd0a?). I'd guess that the "config bsd"
    > option should be set to something like "root on raid0a" instead of
    > "generic", but the make process then yielded "no such option", and I just
    > can't find a complete list of possible options.
    >
    > Any more hints on how to get started with raid0a?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dorian

    I know very little about this, but I got it working by booting GENERIC
    with a couple of RAIDFrame options. From a local partition, using a
    local RAID.

    I don't know about RAMDISK_CD, but it just might be strange enough that
    RAID doesn't work. Why not use GENERIC as a base?

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread