Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway - BSD

This is a discussion on Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway - BSD ; I would like to have windows clients "in-the-wild" connect to an OpenBSD firewall (client-to-site VPN). Which solutions are the better ones? First priority is security, second priority is all-round usability (NAT/dial-up/LAN/firewall/router transparent) third prio is userfriendly Open software is preferred. ...

  1. Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway

    I would like to have windows clients "in-the-wild" connect to an OpenBSD
    firewall (client-to-site VPN). Which solutions are the better ones?

    First priority is security,
    second priority is all-round usability (NAT/dial-up/LAN/firewall/router
    transparent)
    third prio is userfriendly

    Open software is preferred.

    I found http://openvpn.net/ - are security "strong enough" with this
    software?

    Regards, Lars.

  2. Re: Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway

    Lars Bonnesen wrote:
    > I would like to have windows clients "in-the-wild" connect to an OpenBSD
    > firewall (client-to-site VPN). Which solutions are the better ones?
    >
    > First priority is security,
    > second priority is all-round usability (NAT/dial-up/LAN/firewall/router
    > transparent)
    > third prio is userfriendly
    >
    > Open software is preferred.
    >
    > I found http://openvpn.net/ - are security "strong enough" with this
    > software?
    >
    > Regards, Lars.

    hello lars,

    openbsd has a built-in vpn-solution based on isakmpd/ipsec.

    have a look at this:

    http://www.grayskies.net/projects/op...vpn-howto.html

    http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/mvanopst/xp2obsd.pdf

    if you use the native xp-vpn solution, as far as i know you can export
    the settings and simply import at another machines.

    regards uwe

  3. Re: Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway

    ....another useful link:
    http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archiv.../msg01980.html

    regards uwe

  4. Re: Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway

    On 2005-10-15, Lars Bonnesen wrote:
    > I would like to have windows clients "in-the-wild" connect to an OpenBSD
    > firewall (client-to-site VPN). Which solutions are the better ones?

    I use SSH Secure Shell Client 3.2.9 on my w98se box. Though SSH has
    begun charging for their newer Tectia version, the older 3.2.9 client
    is still free for non-commercial use. It's mature and secure and easy
    to use and still the M$ client of choice for many college campus
    networks. Look for the SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe file on these
    mirrors:

    http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads...ommercial.html

    nb

  5. Re: Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway

    "ZarathustraDD" skrev i en meddelelse
    news:1129741078.428261.225520@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > ...another useful link:
    > http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archiv.../msg01980.html

    The information on the links you provided seems to be really good - thank
    you. Will try them out.

    Regarding IPsec, my exprience is that you quite easy get into network
    setups, where IPsec does not work. That is being on a network with no port
    50 and 500 open, being behind a router that for some reason do not support
    IPsec packages to pass through. NAT/PAT problems and so on...

    From what I understood about openvpn.net, it will work as long as port 80
    and 443 is open - with no problem on NAT or PAT, routing or any blocked
    ports and packet segments. Right or wrong?

    Regards, Lars.

  6. Re: Windows client for a OpenBSD gateway

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-10-15, Lars Bonnesen wrote:
    > > I would like to have windows clients "in-the-wild" connect to an OpenBSD
    > > firewall (client-to-site VPN). Which solutions are the better ones?

    > I use SSH Secure Shell Client 3.2.9 on my w98se box. Though SSH has
    > begun charging for their newer Tectia version, the older 3.2.9 client
    > is still free for non-commercial use. It's mature and secure and easy
    > to use and still the M$ client of choice for many college campus
    > networks. Look for the SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe file on these
    > mirrors:
    >
    > http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads...ommercial.html
    >
    > nb

    Try the Green Bow client. It's great.