OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX - BSD ; Hi All Has anyone been able to use X on a 7800 GTX with 3.7 and got it to work, if so, what did you do? At the moment when I run xorgcfg I just get rubbish on the screen ...

  1. OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    Hi All

    Has anyone been able to use X on a 7800 GTX with 3.7 and got it to work,
    if so, what did you do?

    At the moment when I run xorgcfg I just get rubbish on the screen and
    the mouse works for a few seconds before the machine locks up. I have to
    switch it off to get control back, "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" doesn't work.

    Is this fixed in 3.8?

    b1ain

  2. Re: OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    b1ain wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > Has anyone been able to use X on a 7800 GTX with 3.7 and got it to work,
    > if so, what did you do?
    >
    > At the moment when I run xorgcfg I just get rubbish on the screen and
    > the mouse works for a few seconds before the machine locks up. I have to
    > switch it off to get control back, "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" doesn't work.
    >
    > Is this fixed in 3.8?
    >
    > b1ain

    If you run the vesa driver any graphics card should work.
    Getting nvidia 3D to work is another story (never likely to happen).

    I've run openbsd using nvidia cards in the past.

    gtoomey

  3. Re: OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    On 13/10/2005 6:46 AM, Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > b1ain wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All
    >>
    >>Has anyone been able to use X on a 7800 GTX with 3.7 and got it to work,
    >>if so, what did you do?
    >>
    >>At the moment when I run xorgcfg I just get rubbish on the screen and
    >>the mouse works for a few seconds before the machine locks up. I have to
    >> switch it off to get control back, "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" doesn't work.
    >>
    >>Is this fixed in 3.8?
    >>
    >>b1ain

    > If you run the vesa driver any graphics card should work.
    > Getting nvidia 3D to work is another story (never likely to happen).
    >
    > I've run openbsd using nvidia cards in the past.

    I'm really not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you really want 3D
    support on a free operating system, use Linux. There are all kinds of
    HOWTOs on getting this to work, and many of the drivers are in the Linux
    source tree. Which explains why the source tree is so big

    I've run both nVidia and ATI in 3D on Linux. There is even commercial
    support for 3D cards in Linux (basically, a special version of X
    marketed for high-end video use), if that floats your boat.

    Or you could tinker forever on OpenBSD. FreeBSD might have support for
    your video chipset, too.

    Otherwise, VESA mode will probably give you fine 2D use on OBSD.

  4. Re: OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    clvrmnky wrote:

    > I'm really not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you really want 3D
    > support on a free operating system, use Linux. There are all kinds of
    > HOWTOs on getting this to work, and many of the drivers are in the Linux
    > source tree. Which explains why the source tree is so big

    The underlying issue is that there are so many patents/trade secrets
    involved,
    nVidia will not release the source code. So the nVidia linux drivers are
    closed source.

    There is a project to make an open source 3D graphics card that can be
    ported easily to linux & *BSD.
    http://kerneltrap.org/node/5743

    gtoomey

  5. Re: OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    On 13/10/2005 3:44 PM, Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > clvrmnky wrote:
    >
    >>I'm really not trying to be a smart-ass, but if you really want 3D
    >>support on a free operating system, use Linux. There are all kinds of
    >>HOWTOs on getting this to work, and many of the drivers are in the Linux
    >>source tree. Which explains why the source tree is so big

    > The underlying issue is that there are so many patents/trade secrets
    > involved,
    > nVidia will not release the source code. So the nVidia linux drivers are
    > closed source.
    >
    > There is a project to make an open source 3D graphics card that can be
    > ported easily to linux & *BSD.
    > http://kerneltrap.org/node/5743

    Interesting.

    Of course, from an end-user perspective, most people just don't care if
    the alpha-beta drivers they get from the vendor are closed-source. The
    Linux folks just install the modules and fire up X with the right
    options. Rinse and repeat until it works.

    I mean, you pay in blood and tears, anyway, trying to get X to work with
    all your widgets in 3D and maybe a fancy soundcard. When you finally
    succeed you have to be careful not to break it with any updates or
    tweaks. I found the whole thing a bit brittle for my tastes. Repairing
    some busted config got old, fast.

    A nice standard OS soundcard would play nice in this regard, but the
    problem as I see it is that the 3D adapter business depends on cutting
    edge freaky hardware development. A lot of R&D would go into such a
    card, and people would expect it to track (somewhat) with advances from
    other vendors. This project runs the risk of always being the poor cousin.

    Then again, I'm no longer the audience for this stuff. I've never
    installed X on OpenBSD (and likely never will) and dumped Linux a long
    time ago. If hardware like this makes it easier to build less brittle
    open source workstations that can sort of compete with their fancy named
    brethren, who am I to argue?

  6. Re: OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    "b1ain" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Has anyone been able to use X on a 7800 GTX with 3.7 and got it to work,
    > if so, what did you do?

    I have also struggled a lot to get X running decent enough on 3.7 with a
    Nvidia card, and I gave up. Sorry that I haven't got a solution for you -
    just to let you know that you are not alone. I had about the same problems
    as you do.

    Regards, Lars.

  7. Re: OpenBSD, X and nVidia 7800 GTX

    Hi All,

    I managed to get it working using the VESA driver and xorgconfig as
    recommended but I can't get "1600x1200" to work using this driver.

    In the Xorg.0.log I see the following;

    (II) VESA(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
    (II) VESA(0): 720x400@70Hz
    (II) VESA(0): 640x480@60Hz
    (II) VESA(0): 800x600@60Hz
    (II) VESA(0): 1024x768@60Hz
    (II) VESA(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
    (II) VESA(0): Supported Future Video Modes:
    (II) VESA(0): #0: hsize: 1600 vsize 1200 refresh: 60 vid: 16553
    (II) VESA(0): #1: hsize: 1280 vsize 1024 refresh: 60 vid: 32897
    (II) VESA(0): #2: hsize: 1280 vsize 960 refresh: 60 vid: 16513
    (II) VESA(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
    (II) VESA(0): clock: 162.0 MHz Image Size: 408 x 306 mm
    (II) VESA(0): h_active: 1600 h_sync: 1664 h_sync_end 1856 h_blank_end
    2160 h_border: 0
    (II) VESA(0): v_active: 1200 v_sync: 1201 v_sync_end 1204 v_blanking:
    1250 v_border: 0
    (II) VESA(0): Ranges: V min: 57 V max: 63 Hz, H min: 28 H max: 75 kHz,
    PixClock max 170 MHz
    (II) VESA(0): Monitor name: SDM-S204

    I tried using a Modeline to get it working but it seems to ignore it, I
    couldn't find any info on the net about this driver and it's
    capabilities, any clues? Why does it say "Supported Future Video Modes"
    and then go on to say "Supported additional Video Mode"?

    Bruce

    b1ain wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Has anyone been able to use X on a 7800 GTX with 3.7 and got it to work,
    > if so, what did you do?
    >
    > At the moment when I run xorgcfg I just get rubbish on the screen and
    > the mouse works for a few seconds before the machine locks up. I have to
    > switch it off to get control back, "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" doesn't work.
    >
    > Is this fixed in 3.8?
    >
    > b1ain

+ Reply to Thread