Unable to download web pages sometimes - BSD

This is a discussion on Unable to download web pages sometimes - BSD ; Hello, Strange things happen with my OpenBSD 3.7: while all URLs ping successfully (e.g., google.com), lynx (nor actually other utilities like pkg_add) cannot download files from the Internet from time to time. Sometimes that work fine, sometimes it fail. For ...

  1. Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Hello,

    Strange things happen with my OpenBSD 3.7: while all URLs ping successfully
    (e.g., google.com), lynx (nor actually other utilities like pkg_add) cannot
    download files from the Internet from time to time. Sometimes that work
    fine, sometimes it fail. For example, when I invoke

    lynx google.com

    the lynx shows the "Making HTTP connection to google.com" message for a long
    time, and then fails with the "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host"
    message.

    I tried to reinstall the OpenBSD many times, but got the same result. The
    problem is even more confusing, since I tried to install the system on
    laptop, and the same happened.

    Could you please tell me what is the first thing I should to look to to
    solve the problem?

    Thank you much.

    --
    Unicals Group -- Development Tools for OEMs
    http://www.unicals.com

  2. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Begin <3ql1bcFet2raU1@individual.net>
    On 2005-10-06, Ivan A. Kosarev wrote:
    > I tried to reinstall the OpenBSD many times, but got the same result.

    Remember, while reinstalling of redmondware is often mandatory to get
    it to a halfway workable state, this is patently not the case with most
    unices. Despite cases where problems turn out to be caused by bitrot or
    broken hardware, it *usually* is a problem of incorrect configuration.
    OpenBSD doesn't try to guess ``behind your back'' what the correct
    config must be. The upshot is that you can use it in a robust fashion in
    a great many more situations, but the downside (for some) is that you'll
    have to figure out what the correct configuration for you is, yourself.

    > Could you please tell me what is the first thing I should to look to to
    > solve the problem?

    F I R E W A L L

    That, or things like setting your MTU to something more apropriate than
    the default, but for that we'll need a detailed description of what your
    setup is, including uplink, tunnels, PPPoE, whatever.

    In fact, if your problem is intermittent, the MTU issue is more likely,
    but it could still be a firewall that blocks too much.

  3. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Begin <3ql1bcFet2raU1@individual.net
    On 2005-10-06, Ivan A. Kosarev wrote
    > I tried to reinstall the OpenBSD many times, but got the same result

    Remember, while reinstalling of redmondware is often mandatory to ge
    it to a halfway workable state, this is patently not the case with mos
    unices. Despite cases where problems turn out to be caused by bitrot o
    broken hardware, it *usually* is a problem of incorrect configuration
    OpenBSD doesn't try to guess ``behind your back'' what the correc
    config must be. The upshot is that you can use it in a robust fashion i
    a great many more situations, but the downside (for some) is that you'l
    have to figure out what the correct configuration for you is, yourself

    > Could you please tell me what is the first thing I should to look to to
    > solve the problem

    F I R E W A L

    That, or things like setting your MTU to something more apropriate tha
    the default, but for that we'll need a detailed description of what you
    setup is, including uplink, tunnels, PPPoE, whatever

    In fact, if your problem is intermittent, the MTU issue is more likely
    but it could still be a firewall that blocks too much

    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l

  4. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Begin
    On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote:
    [following up to self]

    I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appears
    twice, to me. Anybody else notice that?

  5. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    "jpd" wrote in message
    > Begin
    > On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote:
    > [following up to self]
    >
    > I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appears
    > twice, to me. Anybody else notice that?

    Yep. The same with my post.

    I tried to change the MTU value:

    bsd# ifconfig le1
    le1: flags=8863 mtu 1500

    bsd# ifconfig le1 mtu 1452
    ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

    Any suggestions?

    --
    Unicals Group -- Development Tools for OEMs
    http://www.unicals.com

  6. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Begin On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote
    [following up to self

    I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appear
    twice, to me. Anybody else notice that

    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l

  7. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    On 06/10/2005 3:21 PM, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote:
    > [following up to self]
    >
    > I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appears
    > twice, to me. Anybody else notice that?

    I'm seeing a lot of double posts in this newsgroup for the last few days.

  8. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    > bsd# ifconfig le1 mtu 1452
    > ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    mtu value Set the MTU for this device to the given value. Cloned
    routes will inherit this value as a default.
    Currently,
    not all devices support setting the MTU.

    Can you connect locally to your notebook and see if transfer runs better
    there?

  9. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    "jpd" wrote in message
    > Begin > On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote
    > [following up to self

    > I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appear
    > twice, to me. Anybody else notice that

    Yep. The same with my post

    I tried to change the MTU value

    bsd# ifconfig le
    le1: flags=8863 mtu 150

    bsd# ifconfig le1 mtu 145
    ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argumen

    Any suggestions

    --
    Unicals Group -- Development Tools for OEM
    http://www.unicals.co

  10. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    jpd wrote:
    >Begin
    >On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote:
    >[following up to self]
    >
    >I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appears
    >twice, to me. Anybody else notice that?

    Yep. The double postings seem to come through news.home.ne.jp. I guess
    somebody is running a local newsserver with a borken newsfeeds file.
    I emailed the abuse-address, but I haven't received a reply yet.

    --
    Maurice

  11. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    According to jpd :
    > Begin
    > On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote:
    > [following up to self]
    >
    > I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appears
    > twice, to me. Anybody else notice that?

    Yep -- and they have two *very* different "Message-ID: "
    headers:

    Looking at other headers suggests that you were actually posting
    from individual.net, which suggests that something is mis-configured in
    the Japanese site, and it is re-posting what it receives, assigning a
    new "Message-ID: ".

    I wonder how many newsgroups it is doing this to?

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  12. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    According to jpd
    > Begin > On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote
    > [following up to self
    >
    > I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appear
    > twice, to me. Anybody else notice that

    Yep -- and they have two *very* different "Message-ID:
    headers

    Looking at other headers suggests that you were actually postin
    from individual.net, which suggests that something is mis-configured i
    the Japanese site, and it is re-posting what it receives, assigning
    new "Message-ID: "

    I wonder how many newsgroups it is doing this to

    Enjoy
    DoN

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-456
    (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.htm
    --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero --

  13. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    In article , jpd wrote:
    > Begin <3ql1bcFet2raU1@individual.net>
    > On 2005-10-06, Ivan A. Kosarev wrote:
    >> I tried to reinstall the OpenBSD many times, but got the same result.

    > Remember, while reinstalling of redmondware is often mandatory to get
    > it to a halfway workable state, this is patently not the case with most
    > unices.

    Well, I _have_ had a couple of unices that needed reinstalling a couple
    of times, before I got them halfway workable ... but that was just
    because the hardware was broken in a manner that caused the installer to
    occasionally write bogus data to the disk, randomly, but the proper
    kernel didn't suffer from that. So I had to retry until the random
    bogons were in non-critical parts of the system - no useful spare parts
    available for fixing the hardware, heh.

    Mind you, the breakage _was_ properly diagnosed on the first run
    already. That certainly doesn't happen much on Windows and such.

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include

  14. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    In article , jpd wrote
    > Begin <3ql1bcFet2raU1@individual.net
    > On 2005-10-06, Ivan A. Kosarev wrote
    >> I tried to reinstall the OpenBSD many times, but got the same result

    > Remember, while reinstalling of redmondware is often mandatory to ge
    > it to a halfway workable state, this is patently not the case with mos
    > unices.

    Well, I _have_ had a couple of unices that needed reinstalling a coupl
    of times, before I got them halfway workable ... but that was jus
    because the hardware was broken in a manner that caused the installer t
    occasionally write bogus data to the disk, randomly, but the prope
    kernel didn't suffer from that. So I had to retry until the rando
    bogons were in non-critical parts of the system - no useful spare part
    available for fixing the hardware, heh

    Mind you, the breakage _was_ properly diagnosed on the first ru
    already. That certainly doesn't happen much on Windows and such

    --
    Mikko Nahkola #include #Not speaking for my employer. No warranty. YMMV.

  15. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    "Dorian BŁttner" wrote in message
    >> bsd# ifconfig le1 mtu 1452
    >> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > mtu value Set the MTU for this device to the given value.
    > Cloned
    > routes will inherit this value as a default.
    > Currently,
    > not all devices support setting the MTU.
    >

    > Can you connect locally to your notebook and see if transfer runs better
    > there?

    I tried to install OpenBSD under VMWare Workstation working under Windows
    XP. While web pages and files download successfully under Windows, OpenBSD's
    lynx that is running on the same machine still fails.

    Moreover, I tried to install NetBSD under the VMWare, and exactly the same
    problem appeared there. Also, I tried to change the MTU value under NetBSD,
    and that didn't solve the problem.

    I found that the sutiation is similar to that one

    http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/...oto=nextoldest

    except that in my case reinstallation doesn't help.

    Well, it's probably a problem with my DSL-500T modem under the BSD
    systems...

    --
    Unicals Group -- Development Tools for OEMs
    http://www.unicals.com

  16. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/...goto=nextoldes

    except that in my case reinstallation doesn't help

    Well, it's probably a problem with my DSL-500T modem under the BSD
    systems..

    --
    Unicals Group -- Development Tools for OEM
    http://www.unicals.co

  17. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Begin
    On 2005-10-07, Mikko Nahkola wrote:
    > Well, I _have_ had a couple of unices that needed reinstalling a couple
    > of times, before I got them halfway workable ... but that was just
    > because the hardware was broken in a manner that caused the installer to
    > occasionally write bogus data to the disk, randomly,

    Well, I think I did cover that in the bit you snipped. :-)

    > but the proper
    > kernel didn't suffer from that. So I had to retry until the random
    > bogons were in non-critical parts of the system - no useful spare parts
    > available for fixing the hardware, heh.

    Err... eep?

    > Mind you, the breakage _was_ properly diagnosed on the first run
    > already. That certainly doesn't happen much on Windows and such.

    And that is of course the whole point: Diagnose and fix. Not retry,
    reinstall, reboot, reiterate. Incidentally, the latter is fairly
    close to certain definitions of insanity.

  18. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    Begin On 2005-10-07, Mikko Nahkola wrote
    > Well, I _have_ had a couple of unices that needed reinstalling a coupl
    > of times, before I got them halfway workable ... but that was jus
    > because the hardware was broken in a manner that caused the installer t
    > occasionally write bogus data to the disk, randomly

    Well, I think I did cover that in the bit you snipped. :-

    > but the prope
    > kernel didn't suffer from that. So I had to retry until the rando
    > bogons were in non-critical parts of the system - no useful spare part
    > available for fixing the hardware, heh

    Err... eep

    > Mind you, the breakage _was_ properly diagnosed on the first ru
    > already. That certainly doesn't happen much on Windows and such

    And that is of course the whole point: Diagnose and fix. Not retry
    reinstall, reboot, reiterate. Incidentally, the latter is fairl
    close to certain definitions of insanity

    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l

  19. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

    >According to jpd :
    >> Begin
    >> On 2005-10-06, jpd wrote:
    >> [following up to self]
    >>
    >> I could have sworn I posted this exactly once, but now it appears
    >> twice, to me. Anybody else notice that?

    > Yep -- and they have two *very* different "Message-ID: "
    >headers:
    >
    > ================================================== ====================

    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > Looking at other headers suggests that you were actually posting
    >from individual.net, which suggests that something is mis-configured in
    >the Japanese site, and it is re-posting what it receives, assigning a
    >new "Message-ID: ".

    It's probably
    1) a server which _always assigns a new message-id instead of
    rejecting the article
    AND
    2) a client who just want to pass the original article on and is not
    aware of 1).

    Annotated excerpt of headers of one dupe:
    Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:21:27 GMT
    About an hour later than the original.
    Path:...!newsfeed.mesh.ad.jp!newshub1.kdd1.nap.hom e.ne.jp!news.home.ne.jp!news-virt.s-kddi1.home.ne.jp.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

    53ab2750 is often the second before last in the path and doesn't
    identify anything, but I filter on !news-virt.s-kddi1.home.ne.jp.POSTED!.
    Problem solved.

    > I wonder how many newsgroups it is doing this to?

    It's in comp.os.linux.announce, too.
    --
    The first entry of Sin into the mind occurs when, out of cowardice or
    conformity or vanity, the Real is replaced by a comforting lie.

  20. Re: Unable to download web pages sometimes

    In article <3qnkelFg36ceU3@individual.net>, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 2005-10-07, Mikko Nahkola wrote:

    >> but the proper
    >> kernel didn't suffer from that. So I had to retry until the random
    >> bogons were in non-critical parts of the system - no useful spare parts
    >> available for fixing the hardware, heh.

    > Err... eep?

    Exactly.

    Sort of the same thing that happens on laptops all the time, with the
    various APM/ACPI/PCMCIA/PNP/whatever BIOS-level weirdness, except for
    those the working spare parts were often never made anyway.
    (I still can't seem to make one not assign the serial port's IRQ
    to the PCMCIA slot...)

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include
    #Not speaking for my employer. No warranty. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread