Problem with DHCP on 3.7 - BSD

This is a discussion on Problem with DHCP on 3.7 - BSD ; All, I've been experiencing a problem on my OBSD 3.7 machines since I moved from a cable to a DSL connection for my broadband access. My setup is this: DSL modem->Linksys router->Multiple machines When I try and run dhclient on ...

  1. Problem with DHCP on 3.7

    All,

    I've been experiencing a problem on my OBSD 3.7 machines since I moved
    from a cable to a DSL connection for my broadband access.

    My setup is this:

    DSL modem->Linksys router->Multiple machines

    When I try and run dhclient on any OBSD interface, I receive the
    following error:

    Bogus Host Name option 15: domain_not_set.invalid
    (domain_not_set.invalid)

    following that

    Invalid lease option - ignoring offer

    I note on my Windows machines, an ipconfig reports a
    domain_not_set.invalid as well, but it apparently accepts the DHCP
    offer from the Linksys router.

    My question is:
    1) Can I change OBSD so it ignores the Bogus host name?

    Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Problem with DHCP on 3.7

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:32:46 -0700, fignewton wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I've been experiencing a problem on my OBSD 3.7 machines since I moved
    > from a cable to a DSL connection for my broadband access.
    >
    > My setup is this:
    >
    > DSL modem->Linksys router->Multiple machines
    >
    > When I try and run dhclient on any OBSD interface, I receive the
    > following error:
    >
    > Bogus Host Name option 15: domain_not_set.invalid
    > (domain_not_set.invalid)

    Those SOHO routers are normally configured to have a DHCP pool of
    addresses in the range 192.168.X.100 - 192.168.X.253, easily configurable
    in the http interface to them.

    Why don't you just assign your OpenBSD system a static address outside the
    router's DHCP pool?

  3. Re: Problem with DHCP on 3.7

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:32:46 -0700, fignewton wrote:
    > I've been experiencing a problem on my OBSD 3.7 machines since I moved
    > from a cable to a DSL connection for my broadband access.

    That's an old story, replayed many times.

    !

    > When I try and run dhclient on any OBSD interface, I receive the
    > following error:
    >
    > Bogus Host Name option 15: domain_not_set.invalid
    > (domain_not_set.invalid)

    Is your Linksys having an IP clash with your DSL modem?

    Most DSL modems seem to come set up as 192.168.1.1.

    Most home routers come set up as 192.186.0.1.

    Linksys routers normally default to 192.168.1.1.

    This bit me in the nether zone when I converted from cable to ADSL ;-)

    Do a bit of exploring with your browser.

    > following that
    >
    > Invalid lease option - ignoring offer

    May be a symptom of two DCHP servers both claiming to be on the same
    subnet.

    > I note on my Windows machines, an ipconfig reports a
    > domain_not_set.invalid as well, but it apparently accepts the DHCP offer
    > from the Linksys router.

    Don't work on the basis of what Windows does. If it weren't highly
    tolerant of bad setups it would spontaneously combust.

    > My question is:
    > 1) Can I change OBSD so it ignores the Bogus host name?

    That's windows hacker thinking. Unix thinking is to try to find and
    eliminate the error first.

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m

  4. Re: Problem with DHCP on 3.7

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:32:46 -0700, fignewton wrote
    > I've been experiencing a problem on my OBSD 3.7 machines since I move
    > from a cable to a DSL connection for my broadband access

    That's an old story, replayed many times

    > My setup is this
    >
    > DSL modem->Linksys router->Multiple machine

    > When I try and run dhclient on any OBSD interface, I receive th
    > following error
    >
    > Bogus Host Name option 15: domain_not_set.invali
    > (domain_not_set.invalid

    Is your Linksys having an IP clash with your DSL modem

    Most DSL modems seem to come set up as 192.168.1.1

    Most home routers come set up as 192.186.0.1

    Linksys routers normally default to 192.168.1.1

    This bit me in the nether zone when I converted from cable to ADSL ;-

    Do a bit of exploring with your browser

    > following tha
    >
    > Invalid lease option - ignoring offe

    May be a symptom of two DCHP servers both claiming to be on the sam
    subnet

    > I note on my Windows machines, an ipconfig reports
    > domain_not_set.invalid as well, but it apparently accepts the DHCP offe
    > from the Linksys router

    Don't work on the basis of what Windows does. If it weren't highl
    tolerant of bad setups it would spontaneously combust

    > My question is
    > 1) Can I change OBSD so it ignores the Bogus host name

    That's windows hacker thinking. Unix thinking is to try to find an
    eliminate the error first

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denize
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-

  5. Re: Problem with DHCP on 3.7

    > > My question is:
    > > 1) Can I change OBSD so it ignores the Bogus host name?

    > That's windows hacker thinking. Unix thinking is to try to find and
    > eliminate the error first.

    Gee, thanks. That really helps. I _was_ trying to find root cause and
    eliminate the error, but while I was doing that I figured there might
    be a quick & dirty way to get the system up and going.

    In the mean time, I've done a little more investigation. For the
    benefit of anyone who happens to run into this problem in the future, I
    found that if I set the hostname field on the linksys router (something
    I never had to do before) the DHCP offers I get back are not ignored
    and I can pull an address just fine. Now, for what I want to do with
    this network, I'll probably end up using the suggestion of another
    poster and apply a static IP to my server.

  6. Re: Problem with DHCP on 3.7

    > > My question is
    > > 1) Can I change OBSD so it ignores the Bogus host name

    > That's windows hacker thinking. Unix thinking is to try to find an
    > eliminate the error first

    Gee, thanks. That really helps. I _was_ trying to find root cause an
    eliminate the error, but while I was doing that I figured there migh
    be a quick & dirty way to get the system up and going

    In the mean time, I've done a little more investigation. For th
    benefit of anyone who happens to run into this problem in the future,
    found that if I set the hostname field on the linksys router (somethin
    I never had to do before) the DHCP offers I get back are not ignore
    and I can pull an address just fine. Now, for what I want to do wit
    this network, I'll probably end up using the suggestion of anothe
    poster and apply a static IP to my server

+ Reply to Thread