KDE under openbsd - BSD

This is a discussion on KDE under openbsd - BSD ; Marc, I mentioned to u in an earlier post that I had an issue with KDE leaving an instance of kdeinit running after shutdown and holding the cpu at nearly 100% Well it turns out that kicker is crashing on ...

  1. KDE under openbsd

    Marc,

    I mentioned to u in an earlier post that I had an issue with KDE leaving
    an instance of kdeinit running after shutdown and holding the cpu
    at nearly 100%

    Well it turns out that kicker is crashing on exit, and I suspect it
    mey be related to this article in some manner,

    take a look and see what u think:

    http://freebsd.kde.org/index.php#n20050711
    it reads:

    If you have compiled qt33 with the KDE_PATCHES option checked (if your
    installed qt-package is called qt-copy-3.3.4 instead of qt-3.3.4, check
    with pkg_info), you should cvsup and recompile qt33 and everything
    depending on it:
    portupgrade -rf qt\*
    Previous versions of the qt33 port contained a patch that introduces
    binary incompatibility between unpatched qt33 and software compiled
    against a patched qt33.
    Symptoms of the binary incompatibility: Unresolved symbol warnings from
    various KDE/Qt applications (both during runtime or compiling/linking),
    "Could not start kdeinit" dialogs during KDE startup, kicker crashes
    during exiting KDE.

    The kicker crashing on kde exit sounds consistent this.
    might be related.

  2. Re: KDE under openbsd

    Oh, Also there are unresolved symbol errors too
    after kde and X has shutdown (errors printed
    in the console)

    so i think the article may be onto something.

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, alex wrote:

    > Marc,
    >
    > I mentioned to u in an earlier post that I had an issue with KDE leaving
    > an instance of kdeinit running after shutdown and holding the cpu
    > at nearly 100%
    >
    > Well it turns out that kicker is crashing on exit, and I suspect it
    > mey be related to this article in some manner,
    >
    > take a look and see what u think:
    >
    > http://freebsd.kde.org/index.php#n20050711
    > it reads:

    > If you have compiled qt33 with the KDE_PATCHES option checked (if your
    > installed qt-package is called qt-copy-3.3.4 instead of qt-3.3.4, check with
    > pkg_info), you should cvsup and recompile qt33 and everything depending on
    > it:
    > portupgrade -rf qt\*
    > Previous versions of the qt33 port contained a patch that introduces binary
    > incompatibility between unpatched qt33 and software compiled against a
    > patched qt33.
    > Symptoms of the binary incompatibility: Unresolved symbol warnings from
    > various KDE/Qt applications (both during runtime or compiling/linking),
    > "Could not start kdeinit" dialogs during KDE startup, kicker crashes during
    > exiting KDE.
    >
    > ================================================== ==================
    >
    > The kicker crashing on kde exit sounds consistent this.
    > might be related.

  3. Re: KDE under openbsd

    In article ,
    alex wrote:
    >Oh, Also there are unresolved symbol errors too
    >after kde and X has shutdown (errors printed
    >in the console)
    >
    >so i think the article may be onto something.

    This ought to be revisited in current, there were some major changes in
    ld.so, the dust has not settled yet...

    I wouldn't be surprised if kde works much better afterwards.

  4. Re: KDE under openbsd

    Hi

    Would you expect this to be all sorted by the next stable
    release of openbsd?

    is it a problem with the way QT was built (like the
    article implies)?

    Regards,
    Alex

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Marc Espie wrote:

    > In article ,
    > alex wrote:
    >> Oh, Also there are unresolved symbol errors too
    >> after kde and X has shutdown (errors printed
    >> in the console)
    >>
    >> so i think the article may be onto something.

    > This ought to be revisited in current, there were some major changes in
    > ld.so, the dust has not settled yet...
    >
    > I wouldn't be surprised if kde works much better afterwards.

+ Reply to Thread