Zauraus install. - BSD

This is a discussion on Zauraus install. - BSD ; Hi, I've been trying to install OpenBSD on a Sharp Zaurus. Two things: Firstly, the example partition table from fdisk in the docummentation is deceptive (had me chasing my tail for a while). The size of partition 3 should be ...

  1. Zauraus install.

    Hi, I've been trying to install OpenBSD on a Sharp Zaurus.

    Two things:

    Firstly, the example partition table from fdisk in the docummentation is
    deceptive (had me chasing my tail for a while). The size of partition 3
    should be 6766528 non 7999488 (which is the size of the whole disk).

    Also, is it possible to install of USB mass storage devices (ie a USB key)?

    I plug in a key, and it informs me that 2 targets have been added at sd0
    and sd1 (the key has 2 partitions). I'm at a loss how to mount them,
    though. There seems to be no /dev/sd0 device. There are /dev/sd0? devices,
    but /dev/sd0a gives "device not configured" as an error when I try to
    mount it.

    Sorry for being a bit n00bish, but I'm totally new to OpenBSD.

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.) (er258)(@)(eng.cam)(.ac.uk)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
    {moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
    for /s 15 d f pop 240 420 m 0 1 3 { 4 2 1 r sub -1 r show } for showpage

  2. Re: Zauraus install.

    Edward Rosten writes:

    > I plug in a key, and it informs me that 2 targets have been added at sd0
    > and sd1 (the key has 2 partitions). I'm at a loss how to mount them,
    > though. There seems to be no /dev/sd0 device. There are /dev/sd0? devices,
    > but /dev/sd0a gives "device not configured" as an error when I try to
    > mount it.

    disklabel sd0 will tell you what partitions are available on sd0.
    disklabel sd1 will tell you what partitions are available on sd1.

    Typically these types of devices use partition i, i.e. sd?i.

    My /etc/fstab has, for example:

    /dev/sd0i /sd msdos rw,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sd0j /ipod msdos rw,noauto 0 0

    which lets me do (as root) "mount /sd" to mount my CF reader or
    "mount /ipod" to mount my ipod. The directories /sd and /ipod
    need to exist.

    // marc

  3. Re: Zauraus install.

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:17:03 +0000, Marco S Hyman wrote:
    > disklabel sd0 will tell you what partitions are available on sd0.
    > disklabel sd1 will tell you what partitions are available on sd1.

    Ah, I see, the raw disks are on rsd?

    > Typically these types of devices use partition i, i.e. sd?i.
    >
    > My /etc/fstab has, for example:

    > /dev/sd0i /sd msdos rw,noauto 0 0
    > /dev/sd0j /ipod msdos rw,noauto 0 0
    >
    > which lets me do (as root) "mount /sd" to mount my CF reader or
    > "mount /ipod" to mount my ipod. The directories /sd and /ipod
    > need to exist.

    If I do disklabel on sd0, it shows one partition. If I do disklabel on
    sd1, it merely produces an error. The kernel messages say that 2 disks are
    plugged in (sd0 and sd1) which seems to correspond to the partitions on
    the one device.

    Anyway, fortunately, the partition I wanted was visible, and it seems to
    be installling OK of the USB device.

    Thanks

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.) (er258)(@)(eng.cam)(.ac.uk)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
    {moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
    for /s 15 d f pop 240 420 m 0 1 3 { 4 2 1 r sub -1 r show } for showpage

+ Reply to Thread