/usr at 103% - BSD

This is a discussion on /usr at 103% - BSD ; This is probably a generic *nix question but I'll post anyway as I'm using 3.7 At 80% odd capacity I started installing abiword from ports. After installing several other dependencies, the install borked from a lack of space. I used ...

  1. /usr at 103%

    This is probably a generic *nix question but I'll post anyway as I'm
    using 3.7
    At 80% odd capacity I started installing abiword from ports. After
    installing several other dependencies, the install borked from a lack
    of space. I used pkg_delete to get rid of everything I could find that
    was installed on that day/time but I still can't get back down to the
    original usage level on /usr.
    Anyone lend a clue/hint?
    Cheers

  2. Re: /usr at 103%

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:44:14 -0700, haggis wrote:

    > This is probably a generic *nix question but I'll post anyway as I'm
    > using 3.7
    > At 80% odd capacity I started installing abiword from ports. After
    > installing several other dependencies, the install borked from a lack
    > of space. I used pkg_delete to get rid of everything I could find that
    > was installed on that day/time but I still can't get back down to the
    > original usage level on /usr.
    > Anyone lend a clue/hint?

    # cd /usr/ports
    # make clean

  3. Re: /usr at 103%

    Thanks Dave,
    I only did make clean in the abiword directory. There's quite the pile
    of cruft coming out now -down to 91% as I type. Odd though that I
    normally do a make clean after installing a program and yet there is
    still all this stuff left over.

  4. Re: /usr at 103%

    "haggis" writes:

    > Thanks Dave,
    > I only did make clean in the abiword directory. There's quite the pile
    > of cruft coming out now -down to 91% as I type. Odd though that I
    > normally do a make clean after installing a program and yet there is
    > still all this stuff left over.

    Clean only cleans the port, not any of the port's dependencies. The
    dependencies can get quite large, dwarfing the usage of the port you're
    building. To clean *everything* try this:

    $ make CLEANDEPENDS=Yes clean

    or add CLEANDEPENDS=Yes to your environment.

    // marc

  5. Re: /usr at 103%

    Thanks for the information, it is veru useful. I don't know if
    it's preset in the OpenBSD guide, but it should ;-)

    Thomas

    On 2005-09-29, Marco S Hyman wrote:
    > "haggis" writes:
    >
    >> Thanks Dave,
    >> I only did make clean in the abiword directory. There's quite the pile
    >> of cruft coming out now -down to 91% as I type. Odd though that I
    >> normally do a make clean after installing a program and yet there is
    >> still all this stuff left over.

    > Clean only cleans the port, not any of the port's dependencies. The
    > dependencies can get quite large, dwarfing the usage of the port you're
    > building. To clean *everything* try this:
    >
    > $ make CLEANDEPENDS=Yes clean
    >
    > or add CLEANDEPENDS=Yes to your environment.
    >
    > // marc

  6. Re: /usr at 103%

    Thomas Lecomte writes:

    [discussing "make CLEANDEPENDS=Yes clean" to clean port dependencies]

    > Thanks for the information, it is veru useful. I don't know if
    > it's preset in the OpenBSD guide, but it should ;-)

    Like just about everything in OpenBSD, it's in a man page.
    See ports(7) where it says:

    PORT VARIABLES
    These can be changed in the environment, or in /etc/mk.conf for persis-
    tence. They can also be set on make's command line, e.g., make
    VAR_FOO=foo

    [snip]

    CLEANDEPENDS If set to Yes, let `clean' recurse to dependencies.

    // marc

+ Reply to Thread