    Robert

  2. Re: LT modem configuration

    Begin
    On 2005-09-26, RW wrote:
    > I have something like that (dmesg)
    > "AT&T/Lucent K56flex DSVD LTMODEM" rev 0x01 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not
    > configured"
    > I would like to configure this device but I don't know how.

    I do not know whether OpenBSD has ltmdm (check ports) but I do know
    that, having had to use them, winmodems *suck* even if you do get them
    to work. If you need to use a modem I suggest getting a real one with
    its own controller.

    Compared to the 5 EUR of not-a-modems a 50 EUR real modem may seem
    hideously expensive, but only if you forget that winmodems are not
    modems at all, and even then the hassle with them is not worth the
    difference in price.

    > Can somebody help me ?

    A winmodem really is not a modem at all, just a specialized soundcard,
    leaving all the processing up to a bit of proprietary software that
    as often as not isn't even available for linux. It is available for
    ltmodems on i386, and with that you can build a shim for FreeBSD/i386
    (I've used a lucent winmodem on that) and probably NetBSD/i386 and
    OpenBSD/i386 as well, it's just that someone has to do it.