first time install problem - BSD

This is a discussion on first time install problem - BSD ; i encountered the following problem installing openbsd. when finishing up the installation i got the following message: Making all device nodes...Segmentation Fault (core dumped) i missed it the first time but when i boot i obviously get stuck with the ...

  1. first time install problem

    i encountered the following problem installing openbsd.
    when finishing up the installation i got the following message:

    Making all device nodes...Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

    i missed it the first time but when i boot i obviously get stuck with
    the message that there is no /dev/console

    is there anyone who can point me in the right direction or who can
    tell me where i can find an installlog or something to figure out what
    went wrong?

    janm
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  2. Re: first time install problem

    Jan Mannoury writes:

    > Making all device nodes...Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

    My first guess would be bad memory or too little. Impossible to tell
    without more information. How much memory, which architecture, and so on
    - actually it's a lot more useful if you give us a full dmesg.

    The faq's install section has a quite a few good pointers IIRC.

  3. Re: first time install problem

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:33:23 +0200, Peter N. M. Hansteen
    wrote:

    >Jan Mannoury writes:
    >
    >> Making all device nodes...Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

    >My first guess would be bad memory or too little. Impossible to tell
    >without more information. How much memory, which architecture, and so on
    >- actually it's a lot more useful if you give us a full dmesg.

    the second part of my question was how to retrieve that.

    i have 512 mb ram, athlon processor, 120G harddisk and openbsd 3.7 but
    i'll try to find other ram first.

    thanks
    janm
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  4. Re: first time install problem

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:53:23 +0200, Jan Mannoury
    wrote:

    >i'll try to find other ram first.

    i tried. same problem, it wasn't the ram.

    janm
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  5. Re: first time install problem

    As always, the faq is your friend: http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#getdmesg

    > i have 512 mb ram, athlon processor, 120G harddisk

    Sounds like the not enough memory theory is off, then. I would try to
    browse for hints in whichever logs are available.

  6. Re: first time install problem

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:28:37 +0200, Peter N. M. Hansteen
    wrote:

    >Jan Mannoury writes:
    >
    >>>- actually it's a lot more useful if you give us a full dmesg.

    >> the second part of my question was how to retrieve that.

    >As always, the faq is your friend: http://openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#getdmesg

    yes thanks. i found it already.

    >> i have 512 mb ram, athlon processor, 120G harddisk

    >Sounds like the not enough memory theory is off, then. I would try to
    >browse for hints in whichever logs are available.

    i'll be honest. it seems i didn't make the / partition 150 mb but only
    1.5
    i'm going to find a quiet spot to sit down and be very ashamed of
    myself for the rest of the day.

    janm (thanks)
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  7. Re: first time install problem

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:53:38 +0200, Jan Mannoury
    wrote:

    >i'll be honest. it seems i didn't make the / partition 150 mb but only
    >1.5
    >i'm going to find a quiet spot to sit down and be very ashamed of
    >myself for the rest of the day.

    nope. i was looking at the wrong table it was rd0a thats only 1.7M not
    wd0a. here's my dmesg if anyone can make anything out of it:

    OpenBSD 3.7 (RAMDISK_CD) #573: Sun Mar 20 00:27:05 MST 2005
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD
    cpu0: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class) 1.54 GHz
    cpu0:
    FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MC A,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE
    real mem = 536391680 (523820K)
    avail mem = 483627008 (472292K)
    using 4278 buffers containing 26923008 bytes (26292K) of memory
    mainbus0 (root)
    bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(05) BIOS, date 09/23/02, BIOS32 rev. 0 @
    0xfb450
    apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
    pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0xdf94
    pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xfdf10/128 (6 entries)
    pcibios0: PCI Exclusive IRQs: 5 10 11 12
    pcibios0: no compatible PCI ICU found
    pcibios0: Warning, unable to fix up PCI interrupt routing
    pcibios0: PCI bus #1 is the last bus
    bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xb000 0xcc000/0x1000
    cpu0 at mainbus0
    pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
    pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "VIA VT8366 PCI" rev 0x00
    ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "VIA VT8366 AGP" rev 0x00
    pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
    vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Nvidia Vanta" rev 0x15
    wsdisplay0 at vga1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
    em0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "Intel PRO/1000MT (82541EI)" rev 0x00:
    irq 10, address: 00:0e:0c:6d:a4:e1
    rl0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10: irq 5 address
    00:10:a7:0f:62:f3
    rlphy0 at rl0 phy 0: RTL internal phy
    uhci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x80: irq 11
    usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
    uhub0 at usb0
    uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhci1 at pci0 dev 16 function 1 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x80: irq 10
    usb1 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
    uhub1 at usb1
    uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhci2 at pci0 dev 16 function 2 "VIA VT83C572 USB" rev 0x80: irq 5
    usb2 at uhci2: USB revision 1.0
    uhub2 at usb2
    uhub2: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    ehci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 3 "VIA VT6202 USB" rev 0x82: irq 12
    ehci0: EHCI version 1.0
    ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: uhci0 uhci1 uhci2
    usb3 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
    uhub3 at usb3
    uhub3: VIA EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
    uhub3: single transaction translator
    pcib0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "VIA VT8235 ISA" rev 0x00
    pciide0 at pci0 dev 17 function 1 "VIA VT82C571 IDE" rev 0x06: ATA133,
    channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to
    compatibility
    wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0:
    wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 117246MB, 240121728 sectors
    wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 6
    atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0
    scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
    cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: SCSI0
    5/cdrom removable
    cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
    "VIA VT8233 AC97" rev 0x50 at pci0 dev 17 function 5 not configured
    isa0 at pcib0
    isadma0 at isa0
    pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
    pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
    pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
    wskbd0 at pckbd0 (mux 1 ignored for console): console keyboard, using
    wsdisplay0
    npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
    pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
    fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
    biomask ffe5 netmask ffe5 ttymask ffe7
    rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
    root on rd0a
    rootdev=0x1100 rrootdev=0x2f00 rawdev=0x2f02
    uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
    uhidev0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/11.00, addr 2,
    iclass 3/1
    uhid at uhidev0 not configured
    uid 0 on /: file system full

    janm
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  8. Re: first time install problem

    Jan Mannoury (mja@werktniet.nl) wrote:

    > OpenBSD 3.7 (RAMDISK_CD) #573: Sun Mar 20 00:27:05 MST 2005
    > deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD

    RAMDisk?! Are you booting from CD or from hard disk?

    > root on rd0a

    [...]
    > uid 0 on /: file system full

    Do you have a swap file configured?

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

  9. Re: first time install problem

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:59:07 +0200, "Helmut Schneider"
    wrote:

    >Jan Mannoury (mja@werktniet.nl) wrote:
    >
    >> OpenBSD 3.7 (RAMDISK_CD) #573: Sun Mar 20 00:27:05 MST 2005
    >> deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD

    >RAMDisk?! Are you booting from CD or from hard disk?

    cd.

    >> root on rd0a

    >[...]
    >> uid 0 on /: file system full

    >Do you have a swap file configured?

    yeps. 500 mb

    janm
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  10. Re: first time install problem

    Jan Mannoury wrote:
    > i encountered the following problem installing openbsd.
    > when finishing up the installation i got the following message:
    >
    > Making all device nodes...Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
    >
    > i missed it the first time but when i boot i obviously get stuck with
    > the message that there is no /dev/console
    >
    > is there anyone who can point me in the right direction or who can
    > tell me where i can find an installlog or something to figure out what
    > went wrong?

    it's looking like the ramdisk filled up (but that's possibly from the
    coredump). if you boot from cd and then select shell, you can manually
    mount / and make /dev/console (or try typing MAKEDEV all to see if it
    is happier). once you're up, run MAKEDEV all.

    shouldn't be necessary, but it could help.

  11. Re: first time install problem

    On 26 Sep 2005 10:43:11 -0700, "tedu" wrote:

    >Jan Mannoury wrote:

    []
    >it's looking like the ramdisk filled up (but that's possibly from the
    >coredump). if you boot from cd and then select shell, you can manually
    >mount / and make /dev/console (or try typing MAKEDEV all to see if it
    >is happier). once you're up, run MAKEDEV all.
    >
    >shouldn't be necessary, but it could help.

    well, thanks. but after retrying the install in several different ways
    i tried another install from an original 3.6 cd i have and during the
    installing of the sets, the thing crashed again and gave me a lot of
    fvu_faults (or something, i can't reproduce cause i'm finally home now
    with a welldeserved cold beer). i guess the hardware has been struck
    by lightning. i'll buy something new first and maybe we'll meet again.

    thanks all,

    janm
    --
    I am the Lizard King
    I can do anything

  12. Re: first time install problem

    Jan Mannoury wrote:

    > well, thanks. but after retrying the install in several different ways
    > i tried another install from an original 3.6 cd i have and during the
    > installing of the sets, the thing crashed again and gave me a lot of
    > fvu_faults (or something, i can't reproduce cause i'm finally home now
    > with a welldeserved cold beer). i guess the hardware has been struck
    > by lightning. i'll buy something new first and maybe we'll meet again.

    yes, in that case, i would certainly blame the hardware. the memory
    could be good, maybe it's the motherboard that's bad, but running
    something like memtest may help.

+ Reply to Thread