USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S) - BSD

This is a discussion on USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S) - BSD ; I note that in http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html this NIC is marked as supported. I just installed one in a 3.7-stable system (generic kernel) - no dice. The relevant part of the dmesg is: >> vendor "US Robotics", unknown product 0x0116 (class network ...

  1. USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S)

    I note that in http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html this NIC is marked as
    supported. I just installed one in a 3.7-stable system (generic kernel) - no
    dice. The relevant part of the dmesg is:
    >> vendor "US Robotics", unknown product 0x0116 (class network subclass
    >> ethernet, rev 0x10) at pci1 dev 10 function 0 not configured <<

    What am I missing? All clues gratefully received.

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  2. Re: USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S)

    Steve at fivetrees wrote:
    > I note that in http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html this NIC is marked as
    > supported. I just installed one in a 3.7-stable system (generic kernel) - no
    > dice. The relevant part of the dmesg is:
    > >> vendor "US Robotics", unknown product 0x0116 (class network subclass
    > >> ethernet, rev 0x10) at pci1 dev 10 function 0 not configured <<

    > What am I missing? All clues gratefully received.
    >
    > Steve
    > http://www.fivetrees.com

    it's a variant that's not supported, or for which support has been
    added since 3.7.

  3. Re: USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S)

    "tedu" wrote in message
    news:1127756713.781098.194060@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > Steve at fivetrees wrote:
    >> I note that in http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html this NIC is marked as
    >> supported. I just installed one in a 3.7-stable system (generic kernel) -
    >> no
    >> dice. The relevant part of the dmesg is:

    >> What am I missing? All clues gratefully received.

    > it's a variant that's not supported, or for which support has been
    > added since 3.7.

    It's definitely a USR997902 - but I suspect you're right on the money re the
    "since 3.7" bit. The RE(4) man page on the box in question doesn't mention
    this NIC, in contrast to
    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...i386&sektion=4.

    Bums. Will have to wait for November

    Thanks for the pointer.

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  4. Re: USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S)

    "Steve at fivetrees" writes:

    > Bums. Will have to wait for November

    or grab a snapshot. they should be rather close to 3.8 atm.

  5. Re: USR997902 Gigabit NIC (8169S)

    "Peter N. M. Hansteen" wrote in message
    > "Steve at fivetrees" writes:
    >
    >> Bums. Will have to wait for November

    > or grab a snapshot. they should be rather close to 3.8 atm.

    Yeah, considered this. But I have a severe allergy to the bleeding edge .

    I'll wait (or buy a different NIC). No rush.

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

+ Reply to Thread