OBSD 3.7 sparc and FW/Router - BSD

This is a discussion on OBSD 3.7 sparc and FW/Router - BSD ; Hello Hopefully this question is not out of topic! The only thing I would like to know is what sw pkg are req. to use the the OpenBSD 3.7 (sparc) Computer as a Router and a FW. I'm new with ...

  1. OBSD 3.7 sparc and FW/Router

    Hello
    Hopefully this question is not out of topic!
    The only thing I would like to know is what sw pkg are req. to use the
    the OpenBSD 3.7 (sparc) Computer as a Router and a FW.
    I'm new with OpenBSD and actually lost.
    Could somebody give me a tip, where I can find Howto's concerning this
    matter.

    regards ub

  2. Re: OBSD 3.7 sparc and FW/Router

    ub writes:

    > The only thing I would like to know is what sw pkg are req. to use the
    > the OpenBSD 3.7 (sparc) Computer as a Router and a FW.

    Just the base system will take you quite a long way, and depending on
    your specific needs you may not need to install anything else.

    > I'm new with OpenBSD and actually lost.
    > Could somebody give me a tip, where I can find Howto's concerning this
    > matter.

    Well, the obvious first stop for documentation on all things OpenBSD is
    http://openbsd.org/faq/index.html. For a slightly less complete but
    hopefully useful tutorial, you could try my Firewalling with PF
    manuscript at http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/.

  3. Re: OBSD 3.7 sparc and FW/Router

    In article <433576ed$1_1@news.bluewin.ch>, ub
    wrote:

    > Hello
    > Hopefully this question is not out of topic!
    > The only thing I would like to know is what sw pkg are req. to use the
    > the OpenBSD 3.7 (sparc) Computer as a Router and a FW.
    > I'm new with OpenBSD and actually lost.
    > Could somebody give me a tip, where I can find Howto's concerning this
    > matter.

    the base install will cover that.
    loads of information are available here:
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

    The PF user guide covers packet filtering etc.
    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html

    Are there any routing protocols you were intending to run - e.g. RIP,
    OSPF, BGP ... ?

    Hope that helps

    R.

+ Reply to Thread