software raid / root partition - BSD

This is a discussion on software raid / root partition - BSD ; Hi all, I'm trying to copy my root partition over to my huge new softraid array The approach I chose because it seems to me the most useful was to mount the raid0a partition to /mnt and then use dump ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: software raid / root partition

  1. software raid / root partition

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to copy my root partition over to my huge new softraid array
    The approach I chose because it seems to me the most useful was to mount the
    raid0a partition to /mnt and then use
    dump 0af - /dev/wd0a | restore xf -

    however, the a partition doesn't seem to mountable under /mnt:

    # raidctl -A root raid0
    raid0: Autoconfigure: Yes
    raid0: Root: Yes
    # mount /dev/raid0a /mnt
    mount_ffs: /dev/raid0a on /mnt: Inappropriate file type or format

    How would you solve this?

    Regards,
    Dorian

  2. Re: software raid / root partition

    In article ,
    Dorian Buttner wrote:

    > however, the a partition doesn't seem to mountable under /mnt:
    >
    > # raidctl -A root raid0
    > raid0: Autoconfigure: Yes
    > raid0: Root: Yes
    > # mount /dev/raid0a /mnt
    > mount_ffs: /dev/raid0a on /mnt: Inappropriate file type or format


    have you created a file system on /dev/raid0a i.e. newfs /dev/rraid0a

    R.

  3. Re: software raid / root partition

    Ryoko wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Dorian Buttner wrote:
    >
    >> however, the a partition doesn't seem to mountable under /mnt:
    >>
    >> # raidctl -A root raid0
    >> raid0: Autoconfigure: Yes
    >> raid0: Root: Yes
    >> # mount /dev/raid0a /mnt
    >> mount_ffs: /dev/raid0a on /mnt: Inappropriate file type or format

    >
    > have you created a file system on /dev/raid0a i.e. newfs /dev/rraid0a
    >
    > R.

    # fsck -f /dev/rraid0a
    ** /dev/rraid0a
    ** File system is already clean
    ** Last Mounted on
    ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
    ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
    ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
    ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
    ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
    1 files, 1 used, 32230 free (14 frags, 4027 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
    #


  4. Re: software raid / root partition

    Dorian BŁttner wrote:

    > Ryoko wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Dorian Buttner wrote:
    >>
    >>> however, the a partition doesn't seem to mountable under /mnt:
    >>>
    >>> # raidctl -A root raid0
    >>> raid0: Autoconfigure: Yes
    >>> raid0: Root: Yes
    >>> # mount /dev/raid0a /mnt
    >>> mount_ffs: /dev/raid0a on /mnt: Inappropriate file type or format

    >>
    >> have you created a file system on /dev/raid0a i.e. newfs /dev/rraid0a
    >>
    >> R.

    > # fsck -f /dev/rraid0a
    > ** /dev/rraid0a
    > ** File system is already clean
    > ** Last Mounted on
    > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
    > ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
    > ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
    > ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
    > ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
    > 1 files, 1 used, 32230 free (14 frags, 4027 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
    > #

    mmh - however, fsck'ing rraid0a enabled mounting of raid0a ... I'msometimes
    not in it

+ Reply to Thread