Password protected Virtual FTP site - BSD

This is a discussion on Password protected Virtual FTP site - BSD ; I have a customer that wants to set up a password-protected FTP site for site.dom . They want to set up a guest login for uploading as follows user: guest password: How is this done? Running BSD/OS 4.3.1 . -- ...

  1. Password protected Virtual FTP site

    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca

  2. Re: Password protected Virtual FTP site

    In comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc The Doctor wrote:
    > I have a customer that wants to set up a password-protected FTP site for
    > site.dom .
    >
    > They want to set up a guest login for uploading as follows
    >
    > user: guest
    > password:
    >
    > How is this done?
    >
    > Running BSD/OS 4.3.1 .

    In all operating systems I know detailed instructions are provided
    in ftpd(8) or in.ftpd(1M). Perhaps BSD/OS has the first one.

    Cheers,
    Igor.

  3. Re: Password protected Virtual FTP site

    igor@nospam.invalid wrote:
    > In comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc The Doctor wrote:
    >
    >>I have a customer that wants to set up a password-protected FTP site for
    >>site.dom .
    >>
    >>They want to set up a guest login for uploading as follows
    >>
    >>user: guest
    >>password:
    >>
    >>How is this done?
    >>
    >>Running BSD/OS 4.3.1 .

    > In all operating systems I know detailed instructions are provided
    > in ftpd(8) or in.ftpd(1M). Perhaps BSD/OS has the first one.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Igor.

    im not really into that stuff, but all servers can be configured to work
    only for local (private) IP addresses. so i would consider that, and
    then adding users normal way, and importing them into group that has
    access to ftp. this is not maybe a good solution, but that idea came to
    me when i saw this post. hope it helps...

  4. Re: Password protected Virtual FTP site

    In comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc zarko bulatovic wrote:
    > igor@nospam.invalid wrote:
    >>
    >> In all operating systems I know detailed instructions are provided
    >> in ftpd(8) or in.ftpd(1M). Perhaps BSD/OS has the first one.

    > im not really into that stuff, but all servers can be configured to work
    > only for local (private) IP addresses. so i would consider that, and
    > then adding users normal way, and importing them into group that has
    > access to ftp. this is not maybe a good solution, but that idea came to
    > me when i saw this post. hope it helps...

    If all these servers are in local address spaces, a FTP proxy certainly
    is required. But all these servers can run in a single machine with a
    public address too (all the servers will be running on the same physical
    machine). You will need support in the nameservers for this set up.
    Allocating different hostnames to the same canonical name will be required.

    Some FTP servers (e.g., wu-ftpd) support virtual FTP users. This is
    an ancient reference, but perhaps it is useful (it shows host
    virtualisation works):

    http://www.westnet.com/providers/multi-wu-ftpd.txt

    Of course, if you were running NetBSD you would have a chance to
    configure virtual FTP servers, each listening on separate addresses
    as separate names (you can set the hostname to advertise when starting
    each FTP listener) using the FTP daemon provided with the operating
    system. Each daemon can have its own home directory. As you are
    using BSD/OS, the best chance (if the FTP daemon provided with that
    BSD/OS release does not support virtual servers) will be using
    something like wu-ftpd. I certainly prefer software provided
    in the base operating system if it works. In your case, perhaps
    wu-ftpd or another FTP daemon with support for virtual hosting will
    be required.

    If all the users must share a directory you can set the right
    permissions on it. In this example, all users in the `staff'
    group have rwx permissions on ~/incoming:

    ftp> ls
    229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||65515|)
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
    total 18
    -r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Mar 23 2005 .notar
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 bin
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 etc
    d--x--x--x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 hidden
    d-wxrwx--- 2 ftp staff 512 Mar 23 2005 incoming
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 lib
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 libexec
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root staff 512 Mar 23 2005 pub
    d-wx------ 2 ftp wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 tmp
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 23 2005 usr
    226 Transfer complete.

    There is no need to set up groups to restrict access to directories
    in the FTP. Indeed, it is not a good approach to virtualisation
    of FTP servers.

    The key for virtual FTP servers is starting different FTP daemons
    each one listening to its own domain name. Check the docs provided
    with your operating system to see if it is possible with the FTP
    server in BSD/OS. If not, choose a good FTP daemon that supports
    these features.

    Take care,
    Igor.

  5. Re: Password protected Virtual FTP site

    In comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc igor@nospam.invalid wrote:
    > If not, choose a good FTP daemon that supports
    > these features.

    I am not saying that the FTP server provided with BSD/OS is bad
    if it does not support virtualisation; I am saying that you must
    choose a good FTP server from the ones available for your operating
    system if the server provided with BSD/OS does not support that feature.
    All the BSD operating systems have exceptional quality software on the
    base systems.

    Cheers,
    Igor.

  6. Re: Password protected Virtual FTP site

    In article ,
    Paul Pleshkov wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> I have a customer that wants to set up a password-protected FTP site for
    >> site.dom .
    >>
    >> They want to set up a guest login for uploading as follows
    >>
    >> user: guest
    >> password:
    >>
    >> How is this done?
    >>
    >> Running BSD/OS 4.3.1 .

    >I'm use ProFTPD + MySQL for Auth users.
    >Probably, it's a best choise for web hosting.

    Web hosting? We are talking Virtual FTP.
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    Better to serve in Heaven that to Rule in Hell.

  7. Re: Password protected Virtual FTP site

    In comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc The Doctor wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Paul Pleshkov wrote:
    >>I'm use ProFTPD + MySQL for Auth users.
    >>Probably, it's a best choise for web hosting.

    > Web hosting? We are talking Virtual FTP.

    Mr. Pleshkov is probably using ProFTPD to upload contents to the
    web server. From his post, I understand that ProFTPD can be used
    to set up a virtual FTP. He says that authenticated users are
    using ProFTPD. It seems that he is providing virtual FTP service
    to upload contents to virtual web hosts. Once added to the
    database, a user has access to his virtual web server using a
    virtual FTP server.

    Cheers,
    Igor.

+ Reply to Thread