KDE - BSD

This is a discussion on KDE - BSD ; Hi, I am running openbsd 3.7 (i386) My question relates to KDE under openbsd. After trying to compile KDE from ports and failing miserably after many many many hours, I decided to pull down the packages from an ftp mirror ...

  1. KDE

    Hi,

    I am running openbsd 3.7 (i386)

    My question relates to KDE under openbsd. After trying to compile KDE from
    ports and failing miserably after many many many hours, I decided to
    pull down the packages from an ftp mirror (3.7/i386 packages). I pulled down
    all the kde* packages and pkg_add'ed them all, some wouldnt install and
    complained
    other libraries wernt found (dependencies), after installing packages for
    all of these,
    I got KDE to work. Some of the base packages installed fine without
    dependency issues
    (the ports build had already installed quite a few of the things needed by
    KDE)

    It starts up fine, behaves normally except for 1 aspect of it.. Audio.

    I keep getting the KDE crash handler coming up saying that the "artsd" has
    caused SIGSEGV.

    artsplay causes the same error. However if I run a program independant of
    kde/arts (like mpg123),
    audio plays just fine.

    Any hints? Sorry, I know the question has infinate possibilities, perhaps
    some can share their
    experiences or have heard of this issue.

    I have it installed on an IBM thinkpad, Model R30.

  2. Re: KDE

    In article <432e924b$0$1909$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    Alex wrote:
    >It starts up fine, behaves normally except for 1 aspect of it.. Audio.
    >
    >I keep getting the KDE crash handler coming up saying that the "artsd" has
    >caused SIGSEGV.

    It's a bug in KDE. A bad race condition.

    It has been fixed since 3.7.

    I can't help you more, since you do not understand enough things to build
    kde from ports, and since you don't provide us with enough information to
    reproduce the issue.

    All I can say is that kde builds just fine on OpenBSD for me and for most
    people I know, no issue at all.

  3. Re: KDE

    I installed the latest snapshot of openbsd and also installed all the latest
    packages, it works, sound and all =)

    One thing however. After i exit KDE it leaves a copy of kdeinit running in
    the background
    and its CPU usage skyrockets and holds the CPU usage at 90% I have to kill
    the process
    manually. Any ideas on this?

    Also if I run "top" from the command prompt when in kde, theres like 12 or
    more instances of
    "kdeinit" running - but in "sleep" state, is this normal?

    "Marc Espie" wrote in message
    > In article <432e924b$0$1909$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    > Alex wrote:
    >>It starts up fine, behaves normally except for 1 aspect of it.. Audio.
    >>
    >>I keep getting the KDE crash handler coming up saying that the "artsd" has
    >>caused SIGSEGV.

    > It's a bug in KDE. A bad race condition.
    >
    > It has been fixed since 3.7.
    >
    > I can't help you more, since you do not understand enough things to build
    > kde from ports, and since you don't provide us with enough information to
    > reproduce the issue.
    >
    > All I can say is that kde builds just fine on OpenBSD for me and for most
    > people I know, no issue at all.

  4. Re: KDE

    On 20/09/2005 9:05 AM, Alex wrote:
    > I installed the latest snapshot of openbsd and also installed all the latest
    > packages, it works, sound and all =)
    >
    > One thing however. After i exit KDE it leaves a copy of kdeinit running in
    > the background
    > and its CPU usage skyrockets and holds the CPU usage at 90% I have to kill
    > the process
    > manually. Any ideas on this?
    >
    > Also if I run "top" from the command prompt when in kde, theres like 12 or
    > more instances of
    > "kdeinit" running - but in "sleep" state, is this normal?

    Gods, KDE sucks.

  5. Re: KDE

    In article <8IVXe.12151$p5.2752@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
    clvrmnky wrote:
    >On 20/09/2005 9:05 AM, Alex wrote:
    >> I installed the latest snapshot of openbsd and also installed all the latest
    >> packages, it works, sound and all =)
    >>
    >> One thing however. After i exit KDE it leaves a copy of kdeinit running in
    >> the background
    >> and its CPU usage skyrockets and holds the CPU usage at 90% I have to kill
    >> the process
    >> manually. Any ideas on this?

    That's a bug. I haven't noticed this. If I can reproduce it, I will fix it,
    but you do not give me enough details.

    >> Also if I run "top" from the command prompt when in kde, theres like 12 or
    >> more instances of
    >> "kdeinit" running - but in "sleep" state, is this normal?

    >Gods, KDE sucks.

    Not really. If you look more closely, everything in kde starts life as
    kdeinit. Yes, that's by design. This avoids reloading the shared libraries:
    each program just triggers a fork() from kdeinit + dlopen() the actual
    module. It's actually fairly efficient...

    And konqueror tends to have a pool of ioslaves to grab image files that
    it doesn't bother killing until it's been inactive for a few seconds.

  6. Re: KDE

    You can reproduce it by installing KDE from its packages
    (from snapshots)

    I gave up compiling KDE due to the sheer amount of time it takes,
    on a pentium 3hz processor, it was still compiling 2 days later...

    I installed all the packages and the dependency packages until all the
    kde* packages would install without warning or error.

    While it runs, it works like a charm. My laptop (IBM thinkpad R30)
    switches on an extra cooling fan if the CPU reaches high load (90%+).
    Thats what caught my attention. a few seconds after shutting down KDE,
    the fan came on. I ran "top" and there was one instance of kdeinit,
    sitting there at 97% usage.

    reproducing it should be as simple as installing it, from the "snapshot"
    packages then closing down kde from the menu, then running "top" and see
    if the problem is still there.

    I get this issue whether i run this as the root user or non root user.

    If you would like more information, i'd only be too happy to provide it.

    Regards,
    Alex

    -=*[Its a big ahh yes]*=-

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Marc Espie wrote:

    > In article <8IVXe.12151$p5.2752@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
    > clvrmnky wrote:
    >> On 20/09/2005 9:05 AM, Alex wrote:
    >>> I installed the latest snapshot of openbsd and also installed all the latest
    >>> packages, it works, sound and all =)
    >>>
    >>> One thing however. After i exit KDE it leaves a copy of kdeinit running in
    >>> the background
    >>> and its CPU usage skyrockets and holds the CPU usage at 90% I have to kill
    >>> the process
    >>> manually. Any ideas on this?

    > That's a bug. I haven't noticed this. If I can reproduce it, I will fix it,
    > but you do not give me enough details.
    >
    >>> Also if I run "top" from the command prompt when in kde, theres like 12 or
    >>> more instances of
    >>> "kdeinit" running - but in "sleep" state, is this normal?

    >> Gods, KDE sucks.

    > Not really. If you look more closely, everything in kde starts life as
    > kdeinit. Yes, that's by design. This avoids reloading the shared libraries:
    > each program just triggers a fork() from kdeinit + dlopen() the actual
    > module. It's actually fairly efficient...
    >
    > And konqueror tends to have a pool of ioslaves to grab image files that
    > it doesn't bother killing until it's been inactive for a few seconds.

  7. Re: KDE

    Another thing i will mention when I was building this,

    I had initially pulled down all my packages from
    ftp: mirror.pacific.net.au (from snapshots/i386)

    The packages: kdebase and kdeartwork could not be
    added by pkg_add() as they appeared to be "corrupt"
    or "truncated" archives and pkg_add() refused to install
    them fully, i ended up with partial-kdebase* installed.

    I had to use pkg_delete to remove the partial-kdebase*
    before i could install a fresh package.

    Someone may want to check these packages (whoever maintains the
    mirror)

    redownloading them from ftp.openbsd.org solved the issue,
    they installed happily.

    Regards,
    Alex

    -=*[Its a big ahh yes]*=-

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Marc Espie wrote:

    > In article <8IVXe.12151$p5.2752@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
    > clvrmnky wrote:
    >> On 20/09/2005 9:05 AM, Alex wrote:
    >>> I installed the latest snapshot of openbsd and also installed all the latest
    >>> packages, it works, sound and all =)
    >>>
    >>> One thing however. After i exit KDE it leaves a copy of kdeinit running in
    >>> the background
    >>> and its CPU usage skyrockets and holds the CPU usage at 90% I have to kill
    >>> the process
    >>> manually. Any ideas on this?

    > That's a bug. I haven't noticed this. If I can reproduce it, I will fix it,
    > but you do not give me enough details.
    >
    >>> Also if I run "top" from the command prompt when in kde, theres like 12 or
    >>> more instances of
    >>> "kdeinit" running - but in "sleep" state, is this normal?

    >> Gods, KDE sucks.

    > Not really. If you look more closely, everything in kde starts life as
    > kdeinit. Yes, that's by design. This avoids reloading the shared libraries:
    > each program just triggers a fork() from kdeinit + dlopen() the actual
    > module. It's actually fairly efficient...
    >
    > And konqueror tends to have a pool of ioslaves to grab image files that
    > it doesn't bother killing until it's been inactive for a few seconds.

  8. Re: KDE

    "Marc Espie" wrote in message
    > In article <8IVXe.12151$p5.2752@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
    > clvrmnky wrote:
    >>On 20/09/2005 9:05 AM, Alex wrote:
    >>> I installed the latest snapshot of openbsd and also installed all the
    >>> latest
    >>> packages, it works, sound and all =)
    >>>
    >>> One thing however. After i exit KDE it leaves a copy of kdeinit running
    >>> in
    >>> the background
    >>> and its CPU usage skyrockets and holds the CPU usage at 90% I have to
    >>> kill
    >>> the process
    >>> manually. Any ideas on this?

    > That's a bug. I haven't noticed this. If I can reproduce it, I will fix
    > it,
    > but you do not give me enough details.

    had any luck in reproducing it?
    i notice knode (the news reader) uses a lot of cpu time when idle too.
    maybe thats just poor coding though.

  9. Re: KDE

    alex wrote:

    > You can reproduce it by installing KDE from its packages
    > (from snapshots)
    >
    > I gave up compiling KDE due to the sheer amount of time it takes,
    > on a pentium 3hz processor, it was still compiling 2 days later...
    >
    > I installed all the packages and the dependency packages until all the
    > kde* packages would install without warning or error.
    >
    > While it runs, it works like a charm. My laptop (IBM thinkpad R30)
    > switches on an extra cooling fan if the CPU reaches high load (90%+).
    > Thats what caught my attention. a few seconds after shutting down KDE,
    > the fan came on. I ran "top" and there was one instance of kdeinit,
    > sitting there at 97% usage.
    >
    > reproducing it should be as simple as installing it, from the "snapshot"
    > packages then closing down kde from the menu, then running "top" and see
    > if the problem is still there.
    >
    > I get this issue whether i run this as the root user or non root user.
    >
    > If you would like more information, i'd only be too happy to provide it.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Alex
    >
    > -=*[Its a big ahh yes]*=-
    >

    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Marc Espie wrote:
    >
    >> In article <8IVXe.12151$p5.2752@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
    >> clvrmnky wrote:

    >> That's a bug. I haven't noticed this. If I can reproduce it, I will fix
    >> it, but you do not give me enough details.

    >>> Gods, KDE sucks.

    >> Not really. If you look more closely, everything in kde starts life as
    >> kdeinit. Yes, that's by design. This avoids reloading the shared
    >> libraries: each program just triggers a fork() from kdeinit + dlopen()
    >> the actual module. It's actually fairly efficient...
    >>
    >> And konqueror tends to have a pool of ioslaves to grab image files that
    >> it doesn't bother killing until it's been inactive for a few seconds.

    A bit off topic, but could you point to some weblinks of installing x and/or
    kde please? Would be much appreciated.Thanks

  10. KDE on OpenBSD; as pervasive as Gnome on FreeBSD?

    Thinking of switching to OpenBSD (from FreeBSD) and wondering whether it
    will solve a problem; I'll explain:
    FreeBSD has been my personal o.s. of choice--for work stations, web
    servers, everything (except testing, of course)--for years and years and
    years, but the Gnome development team at freeebsd.org has completely
    commandeered the the GUI ports for FreeBSD, and I don't like it (putting
    it mildly as I can).
    I am completely bias toward the fundamental o.s. design of BSD Unix, and
    the Unix programming design tradition: "mechanism not policy", etc.
    I do not use a desktop. I like to run XFree86 (or X.org) and
    WindowMaker, and keep the GUI as simple, clean and functional as
    possible, both on the graphic face and as relates to the underlying code.
    My question is, can I run OpenBSD *and its GUI ports* this way, and
    without being forced into running a pervasive "homogenized environment"
    (as the FreeBSD/Gnome has been described), and the likes of gnomehier,
    scrollkeeper, libgnome this, and gnomelib that, etc., etc. etc.?
    Another way to ask what I want to know:
    Can one run OpenBSD, X, WindowMaker (or similar windowing app), and the
    OpenBSD GUI ports *without any KDE* (or Gnome) components?
    All comments, pro or con, will be very welcome. Thank you, ahead of time.
    - Jaques

  11. Re: KDE on OpenBSD; as pervasive as Gnome on FreeBSD?

    I run X11 with Ice window manager and there is no gnone or kde bloat needed.

    legalois wrote:
    > Can one run OpenBSD, X, WindowMaker (or similar windowing app), and the
    > OpenBSD GUI ports *without any KDE* (or Gnome) components?
    > All comments, pro or con, will be very welcome. Thank you, ahead of time.
    > - Jaques

  12. Re: KDE on OpenBSD; as pervasive as Gnome on FreeBSD?

    Jack wrote:
    > I run X11 with Ice window manager and there is no gnone or kde bloat needed.

    I run the default window manager, fvwm. It's fast, lean and quite
    configurable. Icewm is pretty cool, too.

    Some ports do require a few graphical libraries - but not too excessive.

    Of course, a homogenized environment does have the advantage that ports
    know where to put their 'shortcuts' - you won't find that in some
    less-well-known window manager like fvwm or icewm (both of which are
    quite good, I'd like to add).

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread