NTTP Server - BSD

This is a discussion on NTTP Server - BSD ; Hi guys, I am running Openbsd 3.7 on an i386. I would like to run a NNTP server. So that I can connect from my workstations to this server. I do not want to read the NNTP messages on the ...

  1. NTTP Server

    Hi guys,

    I am running Openbsd 3.7 on an i386.

    I would like to run a NNTP server.

    So that I can connect from my workstations to this server.
    I do not want to read the NNTP messages on the OpenBSD machines.

    There is nothing regarding news in rc.conf.
    The only NNTP server I can find for OpenBSD is INN.
    But these sources are rather old.

    Does anyone know a solution for this?

    Thanks for your answers...

    D.

  2. Re: NTTP Server

    DK wrote:
    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I am running Openbsd 3.7 on an i386.
    >
    >I would like to run a NNTP server.
    >
    >So that I can connect from my workstations to this server.
    >I do not want to read the NNTP messages on the OpenBSD machines.
    >
    >There is nothing regarding news in rc.conf.
    >The only NNTP server I can find for OpenBSD is INN.
    >But these sources are rather old.
    >
    >Does anyone know a solution for this?

    Just get the sources for inn-2.4.2 from ftp.isc.org
    (ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/inn/inn-2.4.2.tar.gz) and compile it
    from source. Works without a hitch on OpenBSD.
    The documentation that comes with INN is quite good and the people in
    news.software.nntp can provide some help if you need it.

    For starting INN, you can add this line:
    su - news -c '/usr/local/news/bin/rc.news'
    to the end of /etc/rc.local and
    su - news -c '/usr/local/news/bin/rc.news stop'
    to the end of /etc/rc.shutdown .

    Don't forget to create a user 'news' first with the adduser(8) command
    (with class daemon or you may run out of fd's).

    --
    Maurice

  3. Re: NTTP Server

    DK wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I am running Openbsd 3.7 on an i386.
    >
    > I would like to run a NNTP server.
    >
    > So that I can connect from my workstations to this server.
    > I do not want to read the NNTP messages on the OpenBSD machines.
    >
    > There is nothing regarding news in rc.conf.
    > The only NNTP server I can find for OpenBSD is INN.
    > But these sources are rather old.

    No. You likely don't want INN. It's very heavyweight. I run leafnode and am
    quite happy. I allow localhost access to port nntp/119 (NNTP), and use
    stunnel to provide secure remote access on port nntps/563 (NNTP over
    SSL/TLS).

    For remote access I provide client certificates signed by my own
    certification authority, and configure stunnel not to allow access unless
    the provided certificate is properly signed. Thunderbird works quite well
    this way, and I do the same to allow SMTP relaying.

    Personally, I just use tin from the shell.

    I have a feed from Giganews for $7.95/month which I restrict to text only
    newsgroups. I've been running this way for several years maintenance free.

    - Bill

  4. Re: NTTP Server

    Thus spake "DK"

    > There is nothing regarding news in rc.conf.
    > The only NNTP server I can find for OpenBSD is INN.
    > But these sources are rather old.
    > Does anyone know a solution for this?

    What kind of solution do you have in mind?
    As for INN, I compiled INN 2.4.2 from the sources
    (http://www.isc.org) and it works without a glitch.

    If you don't intend to run a fully-fledged news server with peering
    leafnode might be worth looking at.

    --
    This sig intentionally left blank

+ Reply to Thread