terminal (real RS232 green/black) character set - BSD

This is a discussion on terminal (real RS232 green/black) character set - BSD ; I was wondering ... is there a way to do charset conversions on a terminal connection? Even just between two 8-bit character sets with both sharing the 7-bit ASCII half? I mean, I have this HP 70096 terminal connected to ...

  1. terminal (real RS232 green/black) character set

    I was wondering ... is there a way to do charset conversions on a
    terminal connection? Even just between two 8-bit character sets with
    both sharing the 7-bit ASCII half?

    I mean, I have this HP 70096 terminal connected to tty00, with terminal
    type set to "scrhp", and it works (at least mostly) - except that it uses
    the HP ROMAN8 charset and I'd greatly prefer ISO-8859-1 or -15 ... ROMAN8
    isn't exactly common nowadays.

    (Have to look at the cursor addressing modes too, I do have the manual
    for it.)

    IIRC HP-UX (which is what these are usually used with) does have such a
    conversion layer - but it has STREAMS terminal devices and full locale
    support otherwise too.

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include

  2. Re: terminal (real RS232 green/black) character set

    Mikko Nahkola wrote:

    > I was wondering ... is there a way to do charset conversions on a
    > terminal connection? Even just between two 8-bit character sets with
    > both sharing the 7-bit ASCII half?
    >
    > I mean, I have this HP 70096 terminal connected to tty00, with terminal
    > type set to "scrhp", and it works (at least mostly) - except that it uses
    > the HP ROMAN8 charset and I'd greatly prefer ISO-8859-1 or -15 ... ROMAN8
    > isn't exactly common nowadays.

    lynx(1) supports Roman8 as terminal character set. Of course, that
    is just a single application.

    For a general translation layer, luit(1) comes to mind, but that
    only deals with bringing legacy encodings to a UTF-8 terminal.

    --
    Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

  3. Re: terminal (real RS232 green/black) character set

    In article , Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    > Mikko Nahkola wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering ... is there a way to do charset conversions on a
    >> terminal connection? Even just between two 8-bit character sets with
    >> both sharing the 7-bit ASCII half?
    >>
    >> I mean, I have this HP 70096 terminal connected to tty00, with terminal
    >> type set to "scrhp", and it works (at least mostly) - except that it uses
    >> the HP ROMAN8 charset and I'd greatly prefer ISO-8859-1 or -15 ... ROMAN8
    >> isn't exactly common nowadays.

    > lynx(1) supports Roman8 as terminal character set. Of course, that
    > is just a single application.

    And doesn't help much when dealing with files that have 8-bit characters
    in their names.

    Oh well. At least I know that is an and the thing seems to be 8-bit
    clean, so I can live with it.

    > For a general translation layer, luit(1) comes to mind, but that
    > only deals with bringing legacy encodings to a UTF-8 terminal.

    And nothing else works right with UTF-8 yet, anyway. I mean, even on
    some of those locales-enabled Linuxes, it's rather hard to find a text
    editor that handles UTF-8 right. (Try backspacing over multibyte chars,
    for a test.) I'll rather take 8-bit-clean with a wonky charset, thank
    you.

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include
    #Not speaking for my employer. No warranty. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread