statistics, plotting, inodes, mtree - BSD

This is a discussion on statistics, plotting, inodes, mtree - BSD ; Hey all, Looking for some suggestions regarding statistics and plotting apps. I am applying statistics to collected OpenBSD data for inspection and will either graph the output or summarize it and e-mail it. The data being collected are fileystem statistics ...

  1. statistics, plotting, inodes, mtree

    Hey all,

    Looking for some suggestions regarding statistics and plotting apps.

    I am applying statistics to collected OpenBSD data for inspection and
    will either graph the output or summarize it and e-mail it. The data
    being collected are fileystem statistics from mtree audits, accton,
    etc. I have scripted much of the OS into the /etc/security
    app...looking for a way to clearly analyze the data quickly now.

    If all else fails I am going to use shell, crunch numbers and mail it,
    but a nice 2D std. distribution graph would be cool. I do not care if
    the output is straight text...might actually be better given it is to
    be mailed after every mtree verification. A small text application
    might be more secure.

    Any suggestion from the 3.6 ports & packages distro? Any suggestions
    for shell scripts that might be a jumping off point for this work?

    This is an open source (OpenBSD lisc.) project...so help will hopefully
    help more than myself.

    INODES
    - Is there any way to directly reference data located at a particular
    inode using an OpenBSD utility and if so what is the util? Can I
    accurately dump the inode list, sort it and access the data in a
    readable format or do I have to do some C programming work? Anything
    small available for free in shell? If I can obtain the data straight
    away I may be able to do direct digest hashes and inspection of the
    data that resides at a particular location to tell if it changed and
    plot that set of data over time.

    PLOTICUS
    - Has anyone here compiled and made use of ploticus on OpenBSD and if
    so how did you find using the application? What do you use to graph
    statistical distributions, text or otherwise? GNU apps?

    http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/doc/welcome.html

    Thanks,
    Tommy

  2. Re: statistics, plotting, inodes, mtree

    Inquiry wrote:

    > INODES
    > - Is there any way to directly reference data located at a particular
    > inode using an OpenBSD utility and if so what is the util? Can I
    > accurately dump the inode list, sort it and access the data in a
    > readable format or do I have to do some C programming work? Anything
    > small available for free in shell? If I can obtain the data straight
    > away I may be able to do direct digest hashes and inspection of the
    > data that resides at a particular location to tell if it changed and
    > plot that set of data over time.

    fsdb is an interactive tool, though it's easy to script and can
    probably obtain some of the info you want.

+ Reply to Thread