good install manual - BSD

This is a discussion on good install manual - BSD ; Hi, I want to install obsd from a cd. Although I've read the official documentation on installation I got lost a few times :] Could you recommend a good tutorial on installing (and/or using) obsd ? Thx in adcance ML...

  1. good install manual

    Hi,

    I want to install obsd from a cd.
    Although I've read the official documentation on installation I got lost
    a few times :]
    Could you recommend a good tutorial on installing (and/or using) obsd ?

    Thx in adcance

    ML

  2. Re: good install manual

    Martin Latos writes:

    > Although I've read the official documentation on installation I got
    > lost a few times :]

    I've always found the OpenBSD installer rather straightforward, but I
    don't think I've ever needed to (or bothered, even though I'm sure it's
    all useful) read the entire contents of the INSTALL.$arch file.

    If you can point at the places where you get lost, we can probably lead
    you on the right track. Looking over other people's shoulder at
    installfests and the like, I have the impression that the scariest part
    of the install is the partitioning where you actually have to type the
    sizes.

  3. Re: good install manual

    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
    > Martin Latos writes:
    >

    >>Although I've read the official documentation on installation I got
    >>lost a few times :]

    > I've always found the OpenBSD installer rather straightforward, but I
    > don't think I've ever needed to (or bothered, even though I'm sure it's
    > all useful) read the entire contents of the INSTALL.$arch file.
    >
    > If you can point at the places where you get lost, we can probably lead
    > you on the right track. Looking over other people's shoulder at
    > installfests and the like, I have the impression that the scariest part
    > of the install is the partitioning where you actually have to type the
    > sizes.

    Thx for the intrest

    I was reading this
    http://openbsd.chem.uw.edu.pl/faq/faq4.html

    the part about choosing installation medium , checklists and creating
    medium is pretty confusing at first. (Maybe because of my poor english)
    Tho I gave it a secound try and it's is much more clear now.
    Though if you aske me obsd installation is pretty ..low-level even
    comparing with freebsd or any linux (save gentoo).

    ML

  4. Re: good install manual

    i think you should just try it once or twice, maybe with the faq
    printed out alongside.

+ Reply to Thread