newb question about zsh - BSD

This is a discussion on newb question about zsh - BSD ; Been getting familiar with obsd. I really like it. Coming from slackware, I feel right at home. My first real stumper is with zsh and ssh. As long as I leave csh the default root shell, I have no probs ...

  1. newb question about zsh

    Been getting familiar with obsd. I really like it. Coming from
    slackware, I feel right at home. My first real stumper is with zsh
    and ssh. As long as I leave csh the default root shell, I have no
    probs su'ing to root over an ssh connection from another box. But, if
    I change root's default shell to zsh, no dice. I can no longer su to
    root. What's the reason for this? I've looked around the /etc/ssh/
    files, but can find no clues. I did change /etc/ssh/sshd_config to:

    PermitRootLogin no

    ......but I thought that was to prevent initial logins as root.
    Besides, the same setting allows su under csh. What am I missing?

    nb

  2. Re: newb question about zsh

    notbob wrote:
    >Been getting familiar with obsd. I really like it. Coming from
    >slackware, I feel right at home. My first real stumper is with zsh
    >and ssh. As long as I leave csh the default root shell, I have no
    >probs su'ing to root over an ssh connection from another box. But, if
    >I change root's default shell to zsh, no dice. I can no longer su to
    >root. What's the reason for this? I've looked around the /etc/ssh/
    >files, but can find no clues. I did change /etc/ssh/sshd_config to:
    >
    >PermitRootLogin no
    >
    >.....but I thought that was to prevent initial logins as root.

    That's correct. su to root is still possible with PermitRootLogin = no.

    >Besides, the same setting allows su under csh. What am I missing?

    Do you have zsh installed?

    --
    Maurice

  3. Re: newb question about zsh

    On 2005-08-23, Maurice Janssen wrote:

    > Do you have zsh installed?

    Yes.

    nb

  4. Re: newb question about zsh

    is zsh in /etc/shells?

  5. Re: newb question about zsh

    On 2005-08-23, notbob wrote:
    > Been getting familiar with obsd. I really like it. Coming from
    > slackware, I feel right at home. My first real stumper is with zsh
    > and ssh. As long as I leave csh the default root shell, I have no
    > probs su'ing to root over an ssh connection from another box. But, if
    > I change root's default shell to zsh, no dice.

    Perhaps you could elaborate on what exactly happens when you change
    the shell? For example, do you get any errors?
    What's your /etc/shells look like?

    --
    ratfood@food.skaterat.net
    All foods should be removed to reply

  6. Re: newb question about zsh

    On 2005-08-23, John McGrail wrote:

    > Perhaps you could elaborate on what exactly happens when you change
    > the shell? For example, do you get any errors?
    > What's your /etc/shells look like?

    Yes, /etc/shells has been edited to include zsh. Also,
    /etc/master.passwd has been edited using chsh.

    The only problem is when I try to su from an ssh connection. When I
    su - and am prompted for the root password, it fails and I get back
    only "Sorry" in stdout, even in debug mode. Again, this only occurs
    from an ssh session. I have no problem getting the zsh shell when I
    su - locally.

    I've run across some clues on the web about zsh having to be compiled
    so it's in /bin/zsh or /sbin/zsh instead of the default
    /usr/local/bin/zsh that pka_add loads it to. Still researching this
    one. News at 11:00.

    nb

  7. Re: newb question about zsh

    On 2005-08-23, notbob wrote:

    > The only problem is when I try to su from an ssh connection. When I
    > su - and am prompted for the root password, it fails and I get back
    > only "Sorry" in stdout, even in debug mode. Again, this only occurs
    > from an ssh session. I have no problem getting the zsh shell when I
    > su - locally.

    Make sure you're typing the password correctly. That's the only reason
    I get the 'Sorry' msg.

    Also, check /var/log/messages & /var/log/authlog. A quick look through
    su.c shows only one place where 'Sorry' is printed. In most of the
    places errors happen something is either written to stdout or via syslog.

    Places where msgs might not be written involve auth_ calls like
    auth_verify. I don't know enough about bsd_auth to know which
    ones print errors and which don't. So, if you don't have msgs to
    stderr or one of the system logs, you might have a setup issue.

    --
    ratfood@food.skaterat.net
    All foods should be removed to reply

  8. Re: newb question about zsh

    On 2005-08-23, John McGrail wrote:

    > Make sure you're typing the password correctly. That's the only reason
    > I get the 'Sorry' msg.

    Well, I'll be a barbecued monkey's butt!! It appears you are correct.

    With no changes to anything other than changing back to csh and then
    again back to zsh, all of it sudden works! I can su via ssh, no
    problem. This is totally bizarre. I can't have entered the incorrect
    root password only through ssh, on two different boxes, yet get the
    password right locally again and again, as many times as I did. It's
    just not possible. I thought about the fact I may have entered the
    wrong password, so I tried many times, on two separate boxes. I even
    dug up a brand new keyboard to make sure flakey key action wasn't the
    cause. Now, all of a sudden, it works just fine. Too freakin' weird!

    Anyway, thanks to all who gave advice.

    nb ...(walking away scratching head)

+ Reply to Thread