OpenBSD NAT Firewall very slow network connection - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD NAT Firewall very slow network connection - BSD ; Hi all, here is my network architecture: MY-ISP (gateway: 192.168.3.1) | | |192.168.3.100 OpenBSD 3.7 Firewall&NAT |192.168.0.2 | |____________MY-LAN(192.168.0.0) The Firewall's hardware is an IBM netfinity PII with 512M ram. There are 2 NICs on the server both 3Com 3c2000-T, ...

  1. OpenBSD NAT Firewall very slow network connection

    Hi all,

    here is my network architecture:

    MY-ISP (gateway: 192.168.3.1)

    |192.168.3.100
    OpenBSD 3.7 Firewall&NAT
    |192.168.0.2

    |____________MY-LAN(192.168.0.0)

    The Firewall's hardware is an IBM netfinity PII with 512M ram.
    There are 2 NICs on the server both 3Com 3c2000-T, they are gigabit
    ethernet card but operating in a 100Mbps environment.
    the connection between our net and our ISP is through a cat5
    cable ( the ISP is in the same building) and the cable is about
    50 meter long.

    The problem is when I start the server, everything is ok but
    after a while when users start to generate some traffic
    the connection gets damn slow and ping time between the server
    and the ISP's switch goes up to 2000ms!!! We also have
    between 5% to 15% packet loss on this conenction.

    my pf.conf is almost empty, no firewall rules only a nat rule.

    any help and idea will be greatly appreciated

  2. Re: OpenBSD NAT Firewall very slow network connection

    On 16 Aug 2005 01:51:32 -0700, "deviation"
    reported to us:

    >The problem is when I start the server, everything is ok but
    >after a while when users start to generate some traffic
    >the connection gets damn slow and ping time between the server
    >and the ISP's switch goes up to 2000ms!!! We also have
    >between 5% to 15% packet loss on this conenction.

    I'd be looking at swapping in a new NIC or two. If it works
    _sometimes_ then your config is fine.

    HTH,

    Wally

    "No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
    Sir Frederick G. Banting

  3. Re: OpenBSD NAT Firewall very slow network connection

    I have changed Dlink 530 TX and Compex NICs as well, no difference

+ Reply to Thread