OpenBSD ftp install - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD ftp install - BSD ; I have no removable drives on my box so i'm installing OpenBSD using a network boot and an ftp install. After some tinkkering the network install proceeds flawlessly. However, when time comes to install the packages, i cannot connect to ...

  1. OpenBSD ftp install

    I have no removable drives on my box so i'm installing OpenBSD using a
    network boot and an ftp install. After some tinkkering the network
    install proceeds flawlessly. However, when time comes to install the
    packages, i cannot connect to the ftp server. This is the error message
    I recieve:

    ftp: ftp.openbsd.org: temporary failure in name resolution
    No OpenBSD/i386 3.7 sets were found at

    ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.7/i386

    I thought it may be an issue with the networking card; but that would
    impair the sucessfull network boot wouldn't it? Perhaps I improperly
    configured my network. I used dhcp setting. Any help would be
    appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: OpenBSD ftp install

    Turns out it is a DNS issue. I used 129.128.5.191 instead of the ftp
    address and it worked out. Thanks anyway.

  3. Re: OpenBSD ftp install

    em00guy wrote:
    > Turns out it is a DNS issue. I used 129.128.5.191 instead of
    > the ftp address and it worked out. Thanks anyway.

    That's pretty much what:

    "ftp: ftp.openbsd.org: temporary failure in name resolution"

    .... means.

    Does "ftp.openbsd.org" resolve to the above IP on other hosts in
    your network? How about other ftp mirrors? Make sure DHCP is
    handing out the proper IP/route/nameserver values.

    Now having installed the packages, does your new system
    configured via DHCP have the same issue?

    Tim Hammerquist

+ Reply to Thread