openBSD n00b problems - BSD

This is a discussion on openBSD n00b problems - BSD ; first my gretings to all of you. now my problems. i have yesterday installed as test openBSD 3.7 on my compaq presario 1260 laptop. this has 192MB ram, 4.3GB harddrive , and a pcmcia dynalink NIC for comunication to the ...

  1. openBSD n00b problems

    first my gretings to all of you.
    now my problems.

    i have yesterday installed as test openBSD 3.7 on my compaq presario 1260
    laptop.
    this has 192MB ram, 4.3GB harddrive , and a pcmcia dynalink NIC for
    comunication to the world.

    i installed openBSD via a floppy install, what went wel (after some hours of
    retry and not correct reading the faq)

    installing MC was the first thing i did, what went ok.

    that i installed the samba port.
    installing went ok but smb refuse to run.

    this is my currently heavely stript smb.conf
    #======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]

    workgroup = LINUX
    netbios name = openBSD
    server string = Samba openBSD Server %v
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.0.0.1
    guest account = root
    guest ok = yes
    log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
    log level = 1
    security = share
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    local master = no
    domain master = no
    dns proxy = no
    load printers = no
    #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    [root]
    comment = Root access
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    read only = no
    path = /

    why so simple??
    i only want to use firefox and thunderbird on it, and some irc aplications
    no more, no less

    testparm say all is ok.

    but it seems that samba whatever i do refuse to start.
    ok, still dont know how to start aps from console, therefor ,i am a n00b.

    i have more trubs, but i want samba to get run first,

    can anyone help me with this??

  2. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    > but it seems that samba whatever i do refuse to start.
    > ok, still dont know how to start aps from console, therefor ,i am a n00b.

    what is 'whatever I do'? Did you '/usr/local/libexec/smbd -D' and what did
    it yield? How about 'ps ax | grep smb'?

  3. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:34:32 +0000, Dorian Büttner
    wrote:

    >> but it seems that samba whatever i do refuse to start.
    >> ok, still dont know how to start aps from console, therefor ,i am a n00b.

    >what is 'whatever I do'? Did you '/usr/local/libexec/smbd -D' and what did
    >it yield? How about 'ps ax | grep smb'?

    [w00ps]
    as i sayd
    n00b.
    yups its working

    i have installed X here to, for firefox, but it seems that the firefox package
    from mozilla not seems to work, and the packag from openBSD is a 1.0.1
    version.
    however, with i dont have any experiance,

    TY for the help, SMB is as it should be, running.

  4. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    abuse@microsoft.com wrote:
    > i have installed X here to, for firefox, but it seems that the
    > firefox package from mozilla not seems to work, and the packag from
    > openBSD is a 1.0.1 version.

    This is the way of OpenBSD. When a release hits the shelves, all ports are
    frozen to the version available at the time of release. When a security fix
    is required it is backported into the release version of the port, rather
    than upgrading the port to the current version.

    If you want to get the latest versions of programs from ports you might be
    more happy with FreeBSD.

  5. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:08:30 +0200, "André Gulliksen"
    wrote:

    >abuse@microsoft.com wrote:
    >> i have installed X here to, for firefox, but it seems that the
    >> firefox package from mozilla not seems to work, and the packag from
    >> openBSD is a 1.0.1 version.

    >This is the way of OpenBSD. When a release hits the shelves, all ports are
    >frozen to the version available at the time of release. When a security fix
    >is required it is backported into the release version of the port, rather
    >than upgrading the port to the current version.
    >
    >If you want to get the latest versions of programs from ports you might be
    >more happy with FreeBSD.

    ah.
    oh well, that is for later, i have to get X working as it should be.
    and firefox in to X..
    i dunno how to add aps in the shell for X, therefor the question.

  6. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On 2005-07-30, abuse@microsoft.com wrote:

    > oh well, that is for later, i have to get X working as it should be.
    > and firefox in to X..
    > i dunno how to add aps in the shell for X, therefor the question.

    Get x up by running xorgconfig. Make sure you have all the specs for
    your video card and your monitor. Then install something like
    fluxbox, a window manager, and then install firefox. Read the
    "Getting Packages" at this link:

    http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html

    .....and use the example commands given to load and install apps. Make
    sure you change the release (3.7) and the package (gimp).

    nb

  7. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:41:37 -0500, notbob wrote:

    >On 2005-07-30, abuse@microsoft.com wrote:
    >
    >> oh well, that is for later, i have to get X working as it should be.
    >> and firefox in to X..
    >> i dunno how to add aps in the shell for X, therefor the question.

    >Get x up by running xorgconfig. Make sure you have all the specs for
    >your video card and your monitor. Then install something like
    >fluxbox, a window manager, and then install firefox. Read the
    >"Getting Packages" at this link:
    >
    >http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html
    >
    >....and use the example commands given to load and install apps. Make
    >sure you change the release (3.7) and the package (gimp).
    >
    >nb

    i was thinking of gnome, but i dont know what package i need to install
    first..
    there are 2 package in 25MB at the openBSD package dir..

  8. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On 07/29/05 8:43 PM, abuse@microsoft.com wrote:

    > i have installed X here to, for firefox, but it seems that the firefox package
    > from mozilla not seems to work, and the packag from openBSD is a 1.0.1
    > version.

    There's an updated package for 1.0.4 available from the FTP site
    (ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3....efox-1.0.4.tgz).
    It's also in the stable ports tree for 3.7 (3.8-current has 1.0.6, but
    it hasn't been backported).

    --
    Chris "Bob" Odorjan - bobnet@canada.com
    BobNET - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

  9. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:16:06 -0400, Chris 'Bob' Odorjan
    wrote:

    >On 07/29/05 8:43 PM, abuse@microsoft.com wrote:
    >
    >> i have installed X here to, for firefox, but it seems that the firefox package
    >> from mozilla not seems to work, and the packag from openBSD is a 1.0.1
    >> version.

    >There's an updated package for 1.0.4 available from the FTP site
    >(ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3....efox-1.0.4.tgz).
    >It's also in the stable ports tree for 3.7 (3.8-current has 1.0.6, but
    >it hasn't been backported).

    yup.
    i saw it.
    but how about gnome ?
    do i need to install all 25 programs ,or what do i need primary??

  10. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On 08/01/05 3:06 PM, abuse@microsoft.com wrote:

    > but how about gnome ?
    > do i need to install all 25 programs ,or what do i need primary??

    pkg_add will handle the dependencies, so installing gnome-session ought
    to be enough to get everything (I'm not sure, though, since I don't use
    Gnome):

    http://openbsdsupport.org/gnome-GDM.html

    --
    Chris "Bob" Odorjan - bobnet@canada.com
    BobNET - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

  11. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:40:34 -0400, Chris 'Bob' Odorjan
    wrote:

    >On 08/01/05 3:06 PM, abuse@microsoft.com wrote:
    >
    >> but how about gnome ?
    >> do i need to install all 25 programs ,or what do i need primary??

    >pkg_add will handle the dependencies, so installing gnome-session ought
    >to be enough to get everything (I'm not sure, though, since I don't use
    >Gnome):
    >
    >http://openbsdsupport.org/gnome-GDM.html

    Thank you !!!!

  12. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    Well
    Xfce is installed, only intergration is a bit less..
    seems that i must create a startxfce ,dont ask me how

  13. Re: openBSD n00b problems

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:12:32 +0200, abus wrote:

    > Well
    > Xfce is installed, only intergration is a bit less..
    > seems that i must create a startxfce ,dont ask me how

    Create a file in your home directory named .xinitrc with content

    exec startxfce4

    Now, presuming that you have X configured, execute at your shell prompt

    % startx

+ Reply to Thread