honeyd will not start on OpenBSD 3.7 - BSD

This is a discussion on honeyd will not start on OpenBSD 3.7 - BSD ; Hi. I installed honeyd-1.0 by source on OpenBSD 3.7 and I cannot get it to start. The output on screen when started with root user: # honeyd \ -p nmap.prints \ -x xprobe2.conf \ -a nmap.assoc \ -0 pf.os \ ...

  1. honeyd will not start on OpenBSD 3.7

    Hi. I installed honeyd-1.0 by source on OpenBSD 3.7 and I cannot get
    it to start. The output on screen when started with root user:

    # honeyd \
    -p nmap.prints \
    -x xprobe2.conf \
    -a nmap.assoc \
    -0 pf.os \
    -f conf/test.conf \
    -P \
    -l /var/log/honeyd

    Honeyd V1.0 Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Niels Provos
    honeyd[25869]: started with -p nmap.prints -x xprobe2.conf -a
    nmap.assoc -0 pf.os -f conf/test.conf -P -l /var/log/honeyd
    Warning: Impossible SI range in Class fingerprint "IBM OS/400 V4R2M0"
    Warning: Impossible SI range in Class fingerprint "Microsoft Windows NT
    4.0 SP3"
    honeyd[25869]: listening promiscuously on fxp0: (arp or ip proto 47 or
    (udp and src port 67 and dst port 68) or (ip )) and not ether src
    00:a0:c9:63:41:69
    honeyd[25869]: switching to polling mode
    Honeyd starting as background process

    Then in /var/log/messages:

    Kqueue does not recognize bpf filedescriptor

    BTW, I don't see the process running using ps. Shouldn't this always
    be the case though since an attacker should not know about the hp? I
    have honeyd.pid and honeyd.sock files created under /var/run.

    Peter

  2. Re: honeyd will not start on OpenBSD 3.7

    In article <1121616714.705839.204840@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    mr_scary wrote:
    >Hi. I installed honeyd-1.0 by source on OpenBSD 3.7 and I cannot get
    >it to start. The output on screen when started with root user:

    maybe there's a reason the port hasn't been updated from 0.8 yet ?

  3. Re: honeyd will not start on OpenBSD 3.7

    Could be. As a general rule I only use packages and ports but I made
    an exception here due to the age of the current honeyd port and the new
    features available in 1.0.

  4. Re: honeyd will not start on OpenBSD 3.7

    I suggest that you post your question in the forums at www.honeyd.org.
    This will make it easier for others to find the answer to frequent
    questions.

    Niels.

+ Reply to Thread