Routerboard 532 - BSD

This is a discussion on Routerboard 532 - BSD ; Hi All, I have been using Soekris board for quite a while now, and have kept an eye out on other vendors just in case. I recently re-checked routerboard.com and found that they have a new product out (532) @ ...

  1. Routerboard 532

    Hi All,
    I have been using Soekris board for quite a while now, and have kept
    an eye out on other vendors just in case. I recently re-checked
    routerboard.com and found that they have a new product out (532) @
    http://www.routerboard.com/rb500.html that says its a MIPS based
    processor. I have used SGI equipment in the past, and it seemed to run
    well enough, but I wanted to get some input regarding getting OpenBSD
    to run on one of these as I have not ever used OpenBSD on SGI machines.

    I guess my questions boil down to:

    1> The docs state that this board can function at 2 - 3x the speed of
    a SC1100 based Geode system? Can anyone confirm that? Seems that
    Sparcs are usually faster than some of the Intels (or at least where).

    2> Would I need to buy an SGI and get OpenBSD running on it in order
    to compile the kernel, or will the GENERIC kernel work for this?

    3> They have a daughter board available, that would add 6 nics. Any
    ideas if this has drivers in current (or 3.7)? I saw a patch for 3.4,
    but would like to avoid that if I can.

    Thanks for the help!

    Cheers,
    Jess

  2. Re: Routerboard 532

    Begin <1119148246.757042.23790@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>
    On 2005-06-19, Jesse Charbneau wrote:
    > 1> The docs state that this board can function at 2 - 3x the speed of
    > a SC1100 based Geode system? Can anyone confirm that? Seems that
    > Sparcs are usually faster than some of the Intels (or at least where).

    Sparc != mips. I haven't checked routerboard but outrunning a geode isn't
    exactly hard. They're built for x86 compatible low-power operation, and
    don't have much cache, for example.

    > 2> Would I need to buy an SGI and get OpenBSD running on it in order
    > to compile the kernel, or will the GENERIC kernel work for this?

    Dunno, might be that you can cross-compile from another OpenBSD box.

  3. Re: Routerboard 532

    sgi and non-sgi mips can be miles apart. you won't be running openbsd
    on this thing anytime soon.

+ Reply to Thread