screwed up pkg_add - BSD

This is a discussion on screwed up pkg_add - BSD ; My OBSD 3.7 panic n hanged when I was adding packages with pkg_add. After reboot I can no longer add any new packages nor I could delete the packages with pkg_delete. Attempting to add a package yields the following errors: ...

  1. screwed up pkg_add

    My OBSD 3.7 panic n hanged when I was adding packages with pkg_add. After
    reboot I can no longer add any new packages nor I could delete the packages
    with pkg_delete. Attempting to add a package yields the following errors:

    pkg_add -v mutt-1.5.8i.tgz
    parsing mutt-1.5.8i
    No pkgname in packing-list for nmap-3.81-no_x11
    Use of unintialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
    /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 42.
    No pkgname in packing-list for
    Use of unintialized value in hash element at
    /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 83.
    No pkgname in packing-list for pcre-4.5
    Use of unintialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
    /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 42.
    No pkgname in packing-list for
    Use of unintialized value in hash element at
    /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 83.
    Error: has no definition

    So now what should I do to restore my pkg_add, pkg_delete?
    Thanks very much!

    Gary.

  2. Re: screwed up pkg_add

    In article , Gary wrote:
    >My OBSD 3.7 panic n hanged when I was adding packages with pkg_add. After
    >reboot I can no longer add any new packages nor I could delete the packages
    >with pkg_delete. Attempting to add a package yields the following errors:
    >
    >pkg_add -v mutt-1.5.8i.tgz
    >parsing mutt-1.5.8i
    >No pkgname in packing-list for nmap-3.81-no_x11
    >Use of unintialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
    >/usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 42.
    >No pkgname in packing-list for
    >Use of unintialized value in hash element at
    >/usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 83.
    >No pkgname in packing-list for pcre-4.5
    >Use of unintialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
    >/usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 42.
    >No pkgname in packing-list for
    >Use of unintialized value in hash element at
    >/usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/PkgCf1.pm line 83.
    >Error: has no definition
    >
    >So now what should I do to restore my pkg_add, pkg_delete?
    >Thanks very much!

    Nice ****-up.

    I'm afraid you /var/db/pkg is totally garbled by this point. Your best
    bet is to wipe it out, wipe /usr/local as well, and start anew.

    The `panic n hang' scenario is about the only case in which you may end up
    with this kind of issues.

    There are no self-repair capabilities in pkg_add to deal with this yet,
    sorry.

  3. Re: screwed up pkg_add

    never been so unlucky in these 4 years... lol

    Not sure if it will help, but I suppose I will back-up the whole /var/db/pkg
    from now on
    before adding some new packages. (of coz after fixing the whole thing
    first... *_*)

    Gary.

    > Nice ****-up.
    >
    > I'm afraid you /var/db/pkg is totally garbled by this point. Your best
    > bet is to wipe it out, wipe /usr/local as well, and start anew.
    >
    > The `panic n hang' scenario is about the only case in which you may end up
    > with this kind of issues.
    >
    > There are no self-repair capabilities in pkg_add to deal with this yet,
    > sorry.

+ Reply to Thread