NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade? - BSD

This is a discussion on NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade? - BSD ; Hello I have a sun netra t105 running OBSD 3.6 (sparc64). To install this server before I racked it I 'borrowed' a CD drive from another netra. This netra I no longer have access to. I am wanting to upgrade ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

  1. NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    Hello

    I have a sun netra t105 running OBSD 3.6 (sparc64). To install this
    server before I racked it I 'borrowed' a CD drive from another netra.
    This netra I no longer have access to.

    I am wanting to upgrade to 3.7 and have a couple of questions:

    1) If I download the src to current and buildworld will this be the
    latest 3.6 or 3.7?

    2) If it possible to (on a live system) shrink the swap partition by a
    few meg and dd the cd image to it and boot from a set disk partition?

    Thanks in advance for you responces

    steve P

  2. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:44:30 +0100, Steve P wrote:

    > I am wanting to upgrade to 3.7 and have a couple of questions:
    >
    > 1) If I download the src to current and buildworld will this be the
    > latest 3.6 or 3.7?


    No, that would be -current.

    > 2) If it possible to (on a live system) shrink the swap partition by a
    > few meg and dd the cd image to it and boot from a set disk partition?


    Not necessary. You can do a live upgrade.

    http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html


  3. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    On 2005-06-17, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> 2) If it possible to (on a live system) shrink the swap partition by a
    >> few meg and dd the cd image to it and boot from a set disk partition?

    >
    > Not necessary. You can do a live upgrade.
    >
    > Http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html


    Many thanks Dave

    Full step by step instructions, just what I need, I will get to work on it as
    soon as I have finished beating myself for asking a question that is in an FAQ

    SP

  4. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:52:33 +0100, Steve P wrote:

    > On 2005-06-17, Dave Uhring wrote:


    >> Http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html


    > Full step by step instructions, just what I need, I will get to work on it as
    > soon as I have finished beating myself for asking a question that is in an FAQ


    If you are running a web server on that Netra, be sure that you do not
    overwrite your /var/www with etc37.tgz. I created a modified etc37.tgz by
    unpacking the original in /tmp, then removing the entire /tmp/var and
    /tmp/root directories.


  5. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:52:33 +0100, Steve P wrote:
    > > On 2005-06-17, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > >> Http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html

    > > Full step by step instructions, just what I need, I will get to work on it as
    > > soon as I have finished beating myself for asking a question that is in an FAQ

    > If you are running a web server on that Netra, be sure that you do not
    > overwrite your /var/www with etc37.tgz. I created a modified etc37.tgz by
    > unpacking the original in /tmp, then removing the entire /tmp/var and
    > /tmp/root directories.



    Just so *I'm* clear on this. ;-)

    "Upgrade" doesn't normally unpack etcVVV and clobber /etc (or /var).
    Unless one has been careful in the past (I have a mixed record ;-)
    some configs on /etc have been
    hacked (most likely rc.conf) even unpacking etcVVV by hand and
    overwriting things on /etc can cause some things to go bad.

    But while the system normally boots with a new /bsd and old /etc/*, there
    may also be problems with leaving things at the normal "upgrade".

    As all the neat people know, putting "overrides" to rc.conf in rc.conf.local
    (or some such) and leaving rc.conf as the distr version is the way to go for
    that one. Unfortunately, not all other tools/confs are as clean.

    I find the biggest pain in upgd is later unpacking the etcVVV someplace and
    diff-ing (with a little /tmp/script) all the new etc files with the extant,
    ones, removing anything that is the same (90%, usually), copying over
    any "don't cares" like services, protocols, etc. and inspecting the rest
    and adjusting by hand. Even passwd and groups these days can't simply be
    ignored due to creeping priv seps.

  6. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 03:25:20 +0000, russell kym horsell wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:52:33 +0100, Steve P wrote:
    >> > On 2005-06-17, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> >> Http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html
    >> > Full step by step instructions, just what I need, I will get to work on it as
    >> > soon as I have finished beating myself for asking a question that is in an FAQ

    >> If you are running a web server on that Netra, be sure that you do not
    >> overwrite your /var/www with etc37.tgz. I created a modified etc37.tgz by
    >> unpacking the original in /tmp, then removing the entire /tmp/var and
    >> /tmp/root directories.

    >
    >
    > Just so *I'm* clear on this. ;-)
    >
    > "Upgrade" doesn't normally unpack etcVVV and clobber /etc (or /var).
    > Unless one has been careful in the past (I have a mixed record ;-)
    > some configs on /etc have been
    > hacked (most likely rc.conf) even unpacking etcVVV by hand and
    > overwriting things on /etc can cause some things to go bad.


    We were dicussing a live upgrade rather than booting from floppy or cdrom.

    > But while the system normally boots with a new /bsd and old /etc/*, there
    > may also be problems with leaving things at the normal "upgrade".


    None serious. I upgraded five servers that way.

    > As all the neat people know, putting "overrides" to rc.conf in rc.conf.local
    > (or some such) and leaving rc.conf as the distr version is the way to go for
    > that one. Unfortunately, not all other tools/confs are as clean.


    In no way do you want to blindly unpack the new etc37.tgz into /. For one
    thing you will overwrite /etc/master.passwd.

    My caveat in particular referred to /var/www/conf/httpd.conf, which is
    included in etc37.tgz. Would you want to recreate a dozen virtual hosts
    on a web server?

    Although I did not mention it, /var/named/etc/named.conf is also replaced
    with an unthinking unpacking of etc37.tgz. If you are hosting a number of
    domains would you like to rebuild that file on both of your DNS servers?

    > I find the biggest pain in upgd is later unpacking the etcVVV someplace and
    > diff-ing (with a little /tmp/script) all the new etc files with the extant,
    > ones, removing anything that is the same (90%, usually), copying over
    > any "don't cares" like services, protocols, etc. and inspecting the rest
    > and adjusting by hand. Even passwd and groups these days can't simply be
    > ignored due to creeping priv seps.


    Follow the procedure in the FAQ but be aware of what you are doing. The
    FAQ does tell you which new /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group entries must
    be added.

    The upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7 was actually quite painless. Going from 3.5
    to 3.7 on some of my servers required a bit of extra work.


  7. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    ....
    > We were dicussing a live upgrade rather than booting from floppy or cdrom.


    I usually just upload the .rd file and upgrade via ftp or nfs (if
    the bins are around locally).

  8. Re: NEWBIE: Best way to upgrade?

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 03:04:53 +0000, russell kym horsell wrote:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    > ...
    >> We were dicussing a live upgrade rather than booting from floppy or cdrom.

    >
    > I usually just upload the .rd file and upgrade via ftp or nfs (if
    > the bins are around locally).


    I take the CD to the client's server room, place it into one of the
    servers then copy the tarballs to /usr/INSTALL. Make a tarball of
    /usr/INSTALL and scp it to the other servers. That way all the tarballs
    are local to each server and I need not enable otherwise unnecessary
    services.

    All upgrades are done over remote connection via ssh. The only time I
    need to spend in the server room is that required to drop the CD into the
    tray.


+ Reply to Thread