Installing a base package post install - BSD

This is a discussion on Installing a base package post install - BSD ; When I setup OpenBSD a couple of days ago, I didn't think I would need (or want) comp37.tgz so I didn't install it. Now (of course) I need it. When I run "pkg_add -n comp37.tgz", it says "Fatal error". I'm ...

  1. Installing a base package post install

    When I setup OpenBSD a couple of days ago, I didn't think I would need
    (or want) comp37.tgz so I didn't install it. Now (of course) I need
    it. When I run "pkg_add -n comp37.tgz", it says "Fatal error". I'm
    guessing the base install packages aren't the same as other packages.

    What is the right way to install this package? Untar it into the root
    directory? If so - are there any special switches I need?

    Would this work? "cd / ; sudo tar zxpf comp37.tgz"

  2. Re: Installing a base package post install

    blixel@gmail.com wrote:
    > When I setup OpenBSD a couple of days ago, I didn't think I would need
    > (or want) comp37.tgz so I didn't install it. Now (of course) I need
    > it. When I run "pkg_add -n comp37.tgz", it says "Fatal error". I'm
    > guessing the base install packages aren't the same as other packages.
    > What is the right way to install this package? Untar it into the root
    > directory? If so - are there any special switches I need?
    > Would this work? "cd / ; sudo tar zxpf comp37.tgz"

    Looks OK. I've had to do it myself a few times. If the protections are
    messed up (i.e. the "p" does the right thing, but that's the wrong thing )
    you'll have to use the relevant mtree proto under /etc/mtree.

    Another, safe, way to do this is to re-run the update after booting the
    appropriate bsd.rd. It's quite OK to just update the comp package.
    If it whines that you didn't upload bsd just say you know what you're doing.

  3. Re: Installing a base package post install

    On 15 Jun 2005 19:31:48 -0700, blixel@gmail.com wrote:
    > When I setup OpenBSD a couple of days ago, I didn't think I would need
    > (or want) comp37.tgz so I didn't install it. Now (of course) I need
    > it. When I run "pkg_add -n comp37.tgz", it says "Fatal error". I'm
    > guessing the base install packages aren't the same as other packages.
    >
    > What is the right way to install this package? Untar it into the root
    > directory? If so - are there any special switches I need?
    >
    > Would this work? "cd / ; sudo tar zxpf comp37.tgz"

    From http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#AddFileSet

    # cd /
    # tar xzvpf comp37.tgz

    Or, you can run the installer again and choose the upgrade option.

+ Reply to Thread