tar: Link name too long for ustar - BSD

This is a discussion on tar: Link name too long for ustar - BSD ; I'm kind of new to OpenBSD so please forgive my relative ignorance. I installed OpenBSD 3.7 last night to replace my FreeBSD 4.9 box. The install was easy and I was able to get Postfix and courier-imap installed and configured ...

  1. tar: Link name too long for ustar

    I'm kind of new to OpenBSD so please forgive my relative ignorance.

    I installed OpenBSD 3.7 last night to replace my FreeBSD 4.9 box. The
    install was easy and I was able to get Postfix and courier-imap
    installed and configured in no time.

    I untared my old Maildir.tar.gz to my $HOME directory and was able to
    access my e-mail via IMAP with no problem.

    The problem I'm running into now is that I'm trying to rebuild my cron
    jobs on this machine to backup my users' $HOME/Maildir directories,
    starting with my own.

    It's a simple script:

    #!/bin/sh

    cd /home/david ;

    if [ -f backups/mailbackup.tar.gz ] ; then
    mv -f backups/mailbackup.tar.gz backups/mailbackup-2.tar.gz ;
    fi ;

    if [ ! `tar czf backups/mailbackup.tar.gz Maildir` ] ; then
    echo "Backup failed" ;
    fi ;

    The problem I'm running into is this:

    tar: Link name too long for ustar Maildir/.E-Mail Archives.2004.11
    November/cur/1100305690.93026_56777845505.soekris.localdomain.c om:2,RS

    Apparently with OpenBSD's version of tar, I'm more limited with the
    length of file and path names than I was before. That's ok - I'm all
    about learning new ways of doing things. But so far my searching has
    led me in circles so I'm posting this question.

    How can I get around this file size limitation? If possible, I'd like
    to continue using tar for the sake of familiarity. But I'm willing to
    use something like pax to get it working because I'm very uncomfortable
    not having my backups running.

    I tried using pax like this:

    $ cd /home/david
    $ pax -wzf backups/mailbackup.pax Maildir

    But I basically got the same error:

    pax: Link name too long for ustar Maildir/.E-Mail Archives.2004.11
    November/cur/1100305690.93026_56777845505.soekris.localdomain.c om:2,RS

  2. Re: tar: Link name too long for ustar

    On 2005-06-15, blixel@gmail.com wrote:

    > The problem I'm running into is this:
    >
    > tar: Link name too long for ustar Maildir/.E-Mail Archives.2004.11
    > November/cur/1100305690.93026_56777845505.soekris.localdomain.c om:2,RS
    >
    > Apparently with OpenBSD's version of tar, I'm more limited with the
    > length of file and path names than I was before. That's ok - I'm all
    > about learning new ways of doing things. But so far my searching has
    > led me in circles so I'm posting this question.
    >
    > How can I get around this file size limitation? If possible, I'd like
    > to continue using tar for the sake of familiarity. But I'm willing to
    > use something like pax to get it working because I'm very uncomfortable
    > not having my backups running.

    You can install the gtar package. This'll give you gnu tar (as
    /usr/local/bin/gtar).

    --
    ratfood@food.skaterat.net
    All foods should be removed to reply

  3. Re: tar: Link name too long for ustar

    Thanks - that works.

  4. Re: tar: Link name too long for ustar

    John McGrail wrote:

    > On 2005-06-15, blixel@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > The problem I'm running into is this:
    > >
    > > tar: Link name too long for ustar Maildir/.E-Mail Archives.2004.11
    > > November/cur/1100305690.93026_56777845505.soekris.localdomain.c om:2,RS
    > >
    > > Apparently with OpenBSD's version of tar, I'm more limited with the
    > > length of file and path names than I was before. That's ok - I'm all
    > > about learning new ways of doing things. But so far my searching has
    > > led me in circles so I'm posting this question.
    > >
    > > How can I get around this file size limitation? If possible, I'd like
    > > to continue using tar for the sake of familiarity. But I'm willing to
    > > use something like pax to get it working because I'm very uncomfortable
    > > not having my backups running.
    > >

    > You can install the gtar package. This'll give you gnu tar (as
    > /usr/local/bin/gtar).

    I was under the impresssion that GNU tar had a hack involving a regular
    file holding the too large information. One would need to tar and untar
    with the GNU version.

    This small size limitation of the symbolic link destination in the tar
    format is the reason I try to use the "cpio" archive format. But usually
    with the "pax" interface and the apropriate option.

    --
    Hugo Villeneuve

+ Reply to Thread