Printing / Firefox - BSD

This is a discussion on Printing / Firefox - BSD ; I'm running 3.6 (wireless support looks brilliant in 3.7). I want to get my HP PSC1210 printer/scanner working. I run KDE and CUPS does not seem to be installed so what packages do I need? The manual seems to have ...

  1. Printing / Firefox

    I'm running 3.6 (wireless support looks brilliant in 3.7).

    I want to get my HP PSC1210 printer/scanner working. I run KDE and CUPS does
    not seem to be installed so what packages do I need? The manual seems to
    have nothing on printing.

    Also is there a port of Firefox?

    gtoomey

  2. Re: Printing / Firefox

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:06:21 +0000, Gregory Toomey wrote:

    > I'm running 3.6 (wireless support looks brilliant in 3.7).
    >
    > I want to get my HP PSC1210 printer/scanner working. I run KDE and CUPS does
    > not seem to be installed so what packages do I need? The manual seems to
    > have nothing on printing.
    >
    > Also is there a port of Firefox?
    >
    > gtoomey

    There is a port of Firefox in 3.6 and 3.7
    a quick check showed "mozilla-firefox-xxxxxxxx" in the packages
    and in "/usr/posrts/www/" as "mozilla-firefox"

    I'm using 3.6 and firefox daily on a Thinkpad witout problems.

    Rudy

  3. Re: Printing / Firefox

    Gregory,

    If you ever figure out how to print with OpenBSD, please tell me.

    A few years ago, I did manage to get OpenBSD 3.4 to print. I posted my
    solution to this newsgroup at that time. I had to download and
    compile the sources of CUPS and EPS-Ghostscript.

    Well, I used 3.4 for a while and then upgraded to 3.6. The same steps that I
    successfully used to get 3.4 to print did not work on 3.6. Recently, I
    tried 3.7 and still no luck.

    There is a CUPS package and it installs okay. But, I think CUPS requires
    EPS Ghostscript and there's no package for that. I tried downloading the
    source, but it would not compile on 3.7. I don't recall the error message
    and I was so fed up by then that I didn't spend much time on it. I again
    asked the newsgroup for help, but all I got was a response from a guy who
    said he was having the same problem!

    I'm mostly a linux user, but I liked the idea of having OpenBSD around as an
    alternative. I don't do a lot of printing, but I do need that capability.
    It's amazing to me that this problem exists in OpenBSD; it was solved in
    linux a long time ago. Don't any of these OpenBSD people print?

    Duane
    Duane A. Damiano duane@damiano.name
    841 East Fort Avenue #310 Phone: 410-685-6221
    Baltimore MD 21230-5117 U.S.A

  4. Re: Printing / Firefox

    Duane A. Damiano wrote:

    > Don't any of these OpenBSD people print?

    Sure.

    $ cat /etc/printcap
    ps|PostScript printer:\
    :lp=:rm=ps:rp=ps:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

    --
    Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

  5. Re: Printing / Firefox

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:02:24 -0400, Duane A. Damiano wrote:

    > Gregory,
    >
    > If you ever figure out how to print with OpenBSD, please tell me.

    Using the recipe here:

    http://umaxx.um.funpic.de/howtos/obs...on-openbsd.pdf

    I've gotten printing working in 3.7 (2005/06/20 snapshot) with cups using
    the following (slightly updated) steps:

    1) install cups from ports or packages.

    2) download and extract espgs from http://sourceforge.net/projects/espgs/

    3) download and extract jpeg-6b from http://freshmeat.net/projects/libjpeg/

    4) rename the jpeg-6b directory to jpeg and move it into the espgs source
    directory.

    5) configure espgs. I used "./configure --without-omni
    --with-drivers=HP,PS". Use "./configure --help" to discover your configure
    options as you'll need to select the proper drivers. I'm not sure of the
    value of "--without-omni" other than it works for me, so I'm not digging
    any further. If anyone cares to shed some light on this...

    6) compile and install espgs with "# gmake install". I couldn't install
    without first creating two directories "bin" and "obj" in the source
    directory.

    7) go to http://linuxprinting.org and copy the appropriate ppd file for
    your printer(s) to /etc/cups/ppd/

    8) start cups with "# sh /usr/local/share/cups/cups.sh start"

    9) point your browser to "http://127.0.0.1:631". Go to Printers/Add
    Printer to, well, add your printer. You'll need your root password to do
    this. Don't use spaces in the Name/Location/Description fields. I selected
    "USB Printer #1" for the device, "HP" for the model, and "HP LaserJet
    Series CUPS v1.1 (en)" for the Model/Driver options.

    10) The original instructions say "for printing use /usr/local/bin/lpr",
    but in all the applications I've used in KDE (including Firefox!) the
    print dialogs default to working options.

    Please note that printing works 100% except in Firefox, where the
    occasional page will crash the app. I haven't discovered any pattern yet
    to the problem pages; some short text only, some images, some mixed...

    Also note I got this working with the dreaded HP LaserJet 1012, which I
    would NOT RECOMMEND to anyone! It uses some weird sub-set of HP's
    proprietary printer language that has caused much suffering to many of
    it's users. My next printer will be a PostScript printer.

  6. Printing/ firefox

    Thanks to Brian L for the how-to on installing CUPS on OBSD. I have
    been trying for several days to get CUPS work. I am using 3.7
    GENERIC.

    Initially I was getting "Unable to create temporary file : No such
    file or directory" error message. Found out 'cupsd.conf' file set
    the 'TmpDir' default to '/var/spool/cups/tmp'. So I created the
    '/var/spool/cups/tmp' directory and CUPS worked.

    I can print to our HP4500 Color Laserjet printer with no problem.

+ Reply to Thread