256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry? - BSD

This is a discussion on 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry? - BSD ; PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7 boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to xterm-256color etc. I am using the command string: infocmp terminal-name | grep color to query the terminfo ...

  1. 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7
    boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to xterm-256color
    etc.

    I am using the command string:
    infocmp terminal-name | grep color
    to query the terminfo database, but all queried color modes all report 8
    bits of colour

    The termcap color terminal entries list a range of available colors, but the
    corresponding terminfo entries only seem to have 8 colors.

    Is there any way to get 256 colors via terminfo? Or is this a hard
    limitation?

    TIA
    Chris

  2. Re: 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:16:57 +1000, Christopher Bootland wrote:
    > PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7
    > boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to xterm-256color
    > etc.

    I've used 256 colors with PuTTY, OpenBSD 3.6, and elinks. All I had to do
    was set TERM=xterm-256color, configure elinks, and it just worked. What
    application are you trying to use?

  3. Re: 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    "Shane Almeida" wrote in
    message news:Ge6dnVnJ-pbCpjnfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
    > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:16:57 +1000, Christopher Bootland wrote:
    >> PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7
    >> boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to
    >> xterm-256color
    >> etc.

    > I've used 256 colors with PuTTY, OpenBSD 3.6, and elinks. All I had to do
    > was set TERM=xterm-256color, configure elinks, and it just worked. What
    > application are you trying to use?

    Nothing in particular, I was just experimenting as a side venture from
    grokking LDAP. Are you sure that you got 256 colours? All the colour
    terminal modes I checked displayed 8 colours, not the 16, 88, or 256 that
    they are supposed to (according to their termcap entries).

    Chris

  4. Re: 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:30:02 +1000, Christopher Bootland wrote:
    > "Shane Almeida" wrote in
    > message news:Ge6dnVnJ-pbCpjnfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
    >> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:16:57 +1000, Christopher Bootland wrote:
    >>> PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7
    >>> boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to
    >>> xterm-256color
    >>> etc.

    >> I've used 256 colors with PuTTY, OpenBSD 3.6, and elinks. All I had to do
    >> was set TERM=xterm-256color, configure elinks, and it just worked. What
    >> application are you trying to use?

    > Nothing in particular, I was just experimenting as a side venture from
    > grokking LDAP. Are you sure that you got 256 colours? All the colour
    > terminal modes I checked displayed 8 colours, not the 16, 88, or 256 that
    > they are supposed to (according to their termcap entries).

    I just built elinks 0.10.5 on OpenBSD-current. All the colors at this
    page look fine: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp. I'm
    connecting with PuTTY 0.58 and I did *not* set TERM=xterm-256color. With
    3.6, I think I had to set TERM, but that's not the case now apparently.

    That seems like a good test to me, but if you want to see the output from
    some commands, let me know what you want (and how to get it) and I'll send
    you that information.

  5. Re: 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    "Shane Almeida" wrote in
    message

    > I just built elinks 0.10.5 on OpenBSD-current. All the colors at this
    > page look fine: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp. I'm
    > connecting with PuTTY 0.58 and I did *not* set TERM=xterm-256color. With
    > 3.6, I think I had to set TERM, but that's not the case now apparently.

    Thanks Shane, I've now confirmed that I really do get 256 colours (using
    elinks & PuTTY).

    > That seems like a good test to me, but if you want to see the output from
    > some commands, let me know what you want (and how to get it) and I'll send
    > you that information.

    However, the command

    infocmp | grep colors

    returns the strings:

    xterm-256color|xterm with 256 colors,
    colors#8, cols#80, it#8, lines#24, ncv#32, pairs#64,

    Perhaps colors#8 means 8bit (2^8=256) colour rather than 8 colours? The
    description of the capability from the man page states that the 'colors'
    capability is "maximum number of colors on the screen", which can be read
    either way. Oh well, I don't have the time or inclination to delve into the
    code so that will have to do.

    Thanks again for your help, Shane.

    Chris

  6. Re: 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    Christopher Bootland wrote:
    > PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7
    > boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to xterm-256color
    > etc.

    > I am using the command string:
    > infocmp terminal-name | grep color
    > to query the terminfo database, but all queried color modes all report 8
    > bits of colour

    > The termcap color terminal entries list a range of available colors, but the
    > corresponding terminfo entries only seem to have 8 colors.

    > Is there any way to get 256 colors via terminfo? Or is this a hard
    > limitation?

    yes - it's not a problem with terminfo. I seem to recall that there was some
    unresolved issue when making a corresponding termcap entry (this is a while
    ago). But that works. Bear in mind that OpenBSD's ncurses is not current.

    ncurses (unless you're using the configure option to extend colors from current
    ncurses) doesn't support more than 8 bits for color.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  7. Re: 256 colours available in OpenBSD via a terminfo entry?

    Shane Almeida wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:16:57 +1000, Christopher Bootland wrote:
    >> PuTTY 0.58 can handle 256 colours but when connecting to OpenBSD 3.5/3.7
    >> boxes only 8 colours are available, despite TERM being set to xterm-256color
    >> etc.

    > I've used 256 colors with PuTTY, OpenBSD 3.6, and elinks. All I had to do
    > was set TERM=xterm-256color, configure elinks, and it just worked. What
    > application are you trying to use?

    elinks (and kindred) don't use terminfo - they hardcode terminal behavior
    within the application.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net