ELF or a.out? - BSD

This is a discussion on ELF or a.out? - BSD ; What is NetBSD using? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! nk.ca started 1 June 1995...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ELF or a.out?

  1. ELF or a.out?

    What is NetBSD using?
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    nk.ca started 1 June 1995

  2. Re: ELF or a.out?

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:31:19 +0000, The Doctor wrote:

    > What is NetBSD using?


    ELF. But *why* did you ask that in an OpenBSD group?


  3. Re: ELF or a.out?

    In article ,
    Dave Uhring wrote:
    >On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:31:19 +0000, The Doctor wrote:
    >
    >> What is NetBSD using?

    >
    >ELF. But *why* did you ask that in an OpenBSD group?
    >


    Because binutils thinks OPenBSD, BSD/OS and
    probably other BSDs are using a.out . What do you expect when Red Hat
    is keeping binutils developed?
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    nk.ca started 1 June 1995

  4. Re: ELF or a.out?

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 00:20:10 +0000, The Doctor wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:31:19 +0000, The Doctor wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is NetBSD using?

    >>
    >>ELF. But *why* did you ask that in an OpenBSD group?
    >>

    >
    > Because binutils thinks OPenBSD, BSD/OS and
    > probably other BSDs are using a.out . What do you expect when Red Hat
    > is keeping binutils developed?


    Then why are you using the GNU binutils rather than the set of utilities
    which are integral with the BSDs?

    I don't have a NetBSD system on line right now but:

    # file /usr/bin/perl
    /usr/bin/perl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, for
    OpenBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

    That executable was certainly created using OpenBSD's binutils.


  5. Re: ELF or a.out?

    > Because binutils thinks OPenBSD, BSD/OS and
    > probably other BSDs are using a.out . What do you expect when Red Hat


    You are wrong.

  6. Re: ELF or a.out?

    The Doctor wrote:

    > What is NetBSD using?

    If I remember well NetBSD 1.5 used ELF, I'm absolutely sure that 1.6.x does
    (current is 2.0.2)

    Hope this helps.

  7. Re: ELF or a.out?

    In article , dieymir wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >
    >> What is NetBSD using?

    >If I remember well NetBSD 1.5 used ELF, I'm absolutely sure that 1.6.x does
    >(current is 2.0.2)
    >
    >Hope this helps.


    Let the binutils list know. They think
    BSD still uses a.out and never changed.
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    nk.ca started 1 June 1995

  8. Re: ELF or a.out?

    > Let the binutils list know. They think
    > BSD still uses a.out and never changed.


    Care to explain why there are so many *BSD ELF configurations in
    binutils, then? The fact that old BSD a.out configurations still exist
    for compatibility with older systems does not mean they are choosen by
    default.

  9. Re: ELF or a.out?

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:00:21 +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:

    > Plus, both NetBSD and OpenBSD still use a.out binaries on some (non
    > mainstream) platforms.


    So does Linux.

    > So they can't be totally wrong on this.


    Here is one such box (with OpenBSD 3.7 loaded):

    $ dmesg | grep -A1 -B1 cpu
    VAX 4000 100 [13000202 03260A01]
    cpu0: KA52, ucode rev 2
    total memory = 536682496

    --
    -Menno.


  10. Re: ELF or a.out?

    In article ,
    Menno Duursma wrote:
    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:00:21 +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
    >
    >> Plus, both NetBSD and OpenBSD still use a.out binaries on some (non
    >> mainstream) platforms.

    >
    >So does Linux.
    >
    >> So they can't be totally wrong on this.

    >
    >Here is one such box (with OpenBSD 3.7 loaded):
    >
    >$ dmesg | grep -A1 -B1 cpu
    >VAX 4000 100 [13000202 03260A01]
    >cpu0: KA52, ucode rev 2
    >total memory = 536682496
    >


    You probably don't realize the irony, but since Miod is one major contributor
    to some lesser used architectures in OpenBSD, including vax, and since he
    also happens to be one of the major contributors of upgrades and changes
    to binutils, trying to teach him about the specificities of OpenBSD on vax is
    just funny beyond words...

+ Reply to Thread