Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows - BSD

This is a discussion on Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows - BSD ; I have a question that may seem stupid to you all, but bear with me if you can. Currently I'm running a Duron 750 MhZ (or somewhere around there) and only 370 MB RAM. I'm about to do a huge ...

  1. Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    I have a question that may seem stupid to you all, but bear with me if
    you can. Currently I'm running a Duron 750 MhZ (or somewhere around
    there) and only 370 MB RAM. I'm about to do a huge upgrade of my system
    to an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.4 Ghz) with 1 GB RAM. I'm running Linux on my
    system. I wanted to take this old system and run it as a sort of
    firewall/router using OpenBSD. Will having this old system in that
    capicity slow down my main computer when accessing the internet? Linux
    will be what I use most of the time except when I boot up WinXP to play
    something online. Also, where is a good resource to learn how to get
    this kind of setup going? Thank you for your help.

    Lee

  2. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    "Lee" writes:

    > I have a question that may seem stupid to you all, but bear with me if
    > you can. Currently I'm running a Duron 750 MhZ (or somewhere around
    > there) and only 370 MB RAM. I'm about to do a huge upgrade of my system
    > to an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.4 Ghz) with 1 GB RAM. I'm running Linux on my
    > system. I wanted to take this old system and run it as a sort of
    > firewall/router using OpenBSD. Will having this old system in that
    > capicity slow down my main computer when accessing the internet?

    Unless your Internet link is in the multi-gigabit per second range or
    you have seriously awful quality network cards in it, any bottleneck
    will almost certainly be elsewhere. The main gateway at our office is a
    pentium 3, 450 MHz with roughly the same amount of RAM.

    > Linux will be what I use most of the time except when I boot up WinXP
    > to play something online. Also, where is a good resource to learn how
    > to get this kind of setup going? Thank you for your help.

    The FAQ is always a good resource. Then again, try installing OpenBSD.
    It's not difficult. The only part which might be a little scary to the
    uninitiated is the partitioning bit, where you actually need to enter
    numbers. When you've got it running, you can go on to configuring the
    gatewaying/firewalling bit. I've had good feedback on my PF tutorial at
    http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/, so you may want to check it out. For
    stuff you do not find there, try the PF faq and other references (I've
    included a few at the end).

    end of shameless plug - hope this helps.

  3. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    Lee wrote:

    > I have a question that may seem stupid to you all, but bear with me if
    > you can. Currently I'm running a Duron 750 MhZ (or somewhere around
    > there) and only 370 MB RAM. I'm about to do a huge upgrade of my system
    > to an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.4 Ghz) with 1 GB RAM. I'm running Linux on my
    > system. I wanted to take this old system and run it as a sort of
    > firewall/router using OpenBSD. Will having this old system in that
    > capicity slow down my main computer when accessing the internet? Linux
    > will be what I use most of the time except when I boot up WinXP to

    You have got to be joking !.

    My firewall is a P166 with 32 MB on a 500K DSL line and the CPU is running
    at 80% idle.

  4. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    On 2 Jun 2005 06:53:09 -0700, "Lee" wrote:

    > Will having this old system in that
    >capicity slow down my main computer when accessing the internet?

    Unless you have a very large pipe connecting you to the net it wont.

    A Pentium class processor with 64 meg will quite happily route Fast-E
    without running out of puff.

    I run a down clocked (for peace and quiet)

    ~ # grep -i cpu /var/run/dmesg.boot
    CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+ (1252.85-MHz 686-class CPU)

    it's complete and utter overkill for the task.

    For the past 24 hours Symon reports average cpu usage as

    2.61% User
    0.22% Nice
    1.32% System
    0.24% Interrupt
    95.65% Idle.

    And that's on a box running a ~36k entry ad blocking DNS cache, squid,
    jffnms and other bits and pieces in addition to gateway duties.

    greg

    --
    Contains minor peril

  5. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    Thanks for your help. I figured this was the case but wanted to
    double-check. I'm not worried about the installation part of it. I was
    using Linux back in the days before the whole fancy GUI installation
    was going, when installing was a bit of fun and I've had to use fdisk a
    few times, so I'm not eve going to be sweating with the partioning.
    It's just the gatewaying/firewalling that will be a new one for me.
    I'll try out your FAQ on it. Thanks again for the help. Peace.

  6. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    Lee wrote:
    > I have a question that may seem stupid to you all, but bear with me if
    > you can. Currently I'm running a Duron 750 MhZ .... I wanted to take this old system and run it as a sort of
    > firewall/router using OpenBSD. Will having this old system in that
    > capicity slow down my main computer when accessing the internet?

    "old system" LOL
    you kids kill me

  7. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    Well, let me try slightly older....I guess if you compare it to the
    Commodore, IBM PCjr or 8088 & 8086 my dad has at home....this is a
    pretty good computer. My father is an engineer and seems to have the
    belief that a computer should NEVER be thrown away. I have some of
    that. Upgrading was hard...I was sitting for days thinking. What am I
    going to do with THIS computer. I can't let it just sit there.

  8. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:53:09 -0700, Lee wrote:

    > I have a question that may seem stupid to you all, but bear with me if
    > you can. Currently I'm running a Duron 750 MhZ (or somewhere around
    > there) and only 370 MB RAM.

    A 486DX2 with 16 MB of RAM will handle the IP traffic from a 3 mbps cable
    modem while running at 90% idle.

  9. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    [...]
    > A 486DX2 with 16 MB of RAM will handle the IP traffic from a 3 mbps cable
    > modem while running at 90% idle.

    The fan on the PS of a DX2/50 has been busted for 10 years and it's still
    going strong. 'A corse it's a bit like the farmer's axe.

  10. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 04:30:06 +0000 (UTC), russell kym horsell
    wrote:

    >The fan on the PS of a DX2/50 has been busted for 10 years and it's still
    >going strong. 'A corse it's a bit like the farmer's axe.

    It thought it was a roadsweepers brush ;-).
    --
    Contains minor peril

  11. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    On 04/06/2005 12:30 AM, russell kym horsell wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    >>A 486DX2 with 16 MB of RAM will handle the IP traffic from a 3 mbps cable
    >>modem while running at 90% idle.

    > The fan on the PS of a DX2/50 has been busted for 10 years and it's still
    > going strong. 'A corse it's a bit like the farmer's axe.

    I ran a DX[something]/133 with a hacked PS with the fan disconnected for
    nearly a year. Things were fine until the summer and my apartment got
    a little too hot -- one of the NICs went crazy and wouldn't route (or
    even boot up properly when I restarted.) It was kind of cool (hot?)
    looking at the back, because _all_ the LEDs were blinking semi-randomly.
    It was failing the way hardware fails in the movies.

    The same box (with the same NICs) is still running after nearly 5 years
    as an edge box for a small home network. I just had to give in and
    reconnect the PS fan cable (and cover the holes I made in it for passive
    cooling.)

    I'll risk a metoo and report that I'm over 90% idle most of the time,
    even though I'm abusing the poor thing (and not following good network
    practice) by having this box serve up several virtual web sites, as well
    as providing a pile of acronyms (DNS, SMB, DHCP, SMTP, POP/IMAP) for a
    few internal clients.

    I've got a new low-power fanless mini-ITX I've been tracking latest OBSD
    on waiting for a switch-over. It is totally over-kill for this purpose.

  12. Re: Networking with OpenBSD and Linux/Windows

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:19:02 -0400, clvrmnky wrote:

    > I've got a new low-power fanless mini-ITX I've been tracking latest OBSD
    > on waiting for a switch-over. It is totally over-kill for this purpose.

    I replaced my 486DX2 machine about 5 years ago with a Compaq SFF box,
    P233-MMX, 32MB and 1.2GB drive. It was a much smaller case and almost
    silent. The HDD died about a year ago but otherwise it has been extremely
    reliable.

+ Reply to Thread