Known working (well) SCSI HW RAID card for OpenBSD 3.7 - BSD

This is a discussion on Known working (well) SCSI HW RAID card for OpenBSD 3.7 - BSD ; Hi all, Has anyone yet install OpenBSD 3.7 onto a SCSI RAID controller with success. Some months ago we purchased our standard Adaptec RAID controller (2120s mainly for windows servers), did a brief HW list check and install OpenBSD 3.6, ...

  1. Known working (well) SCSI HW RAID card for OpenBSD 3.7

    Hi all,

    Has anyone yet install OpenBSD 3.7 onto a SCSI RAID controller with success.
    Some months ago we purchased our standard Adaptec RAID controller (2120s
    mainly for windows servers), did a brief HW list check and install OpenBSD
    3.6, wasn't brilliant (hoped 3.7 would be more stable), but it worked.

    Now after a more in-depth look on the web it seems Adaptec are @#!@~! (add
    your own bad words here) and won't release technical documentation so that
    the open source community can write stable drivers for their hardware. Due
    to this I believe support for the cards above has been removed by OpenBSD
    (as I cannot get the CD's or floppies to find the disks as in 3.6 and
    4.3)

    We therefore need to purchase replacement cards, however before we do, can
    someone please tell me if they have installed OpenBSD 3.7 successfully using
    any SCSI RAID controllers?

    If you have, please tell me

    - which one (make, model)?

    - for how long?

    - environment (commercial, private, development)

    - thoughts (highly recommend, happy, content, frustrated, won't used
    again)

    This new controller will become our new standard SCSI RAID controller, so
    any bad experiences with bindows will also be noted too.

    Many thanks

    SJP

  2. Re: Known working (well) SCSI HW RAID card for OpenBSD 3.7

    > We therefore need to purchase replacement cards, however before we do, can
    > someone please tell me if they have installed OpenBSD 3.7 successfully
    > using
    > any SCSI RAID controllers?
    >
    > If you have, please tell me

    Yes

    > - which one (make, model)?

    Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...dkey=ASR-3210S

    [viper@allevil viper]$ dmesg | egrep -i 'adaptec|raid'
    iop0 at pci1 dev 2 function 1 "DPT SmartRAID (I2O)" rev 0x01: I2O adapter

    ioprbs1 at iop0 tid 520: direct access, fixed
    [viper@allevil viper]$ uname -msrv
    OpenBSD 3.3 DMRT#2 i386

    > - for how long?

    A day or 2 after the release of OpenBSD 3.2 wich was May 1, 2003
    (Yes the 3.7 upgrade is planned very soon now

    > - environment (commercial, private, development)

    While it's our (as in friends) own hardware hosted in a 100mbit datacenter.
    Holding mail for about 50 power-users (approx -+10gb mail total)
    Hosting about 15 websites with about 500mb of mysql backend, doing
    imap,imaps,smtp,pop3,spop3,vpn,ldap,pf,spamassasia n,amavis,clamd,http,
    httpds etcetc. and it never ever failed us once.

    > - thoughts (highly recommend, happy, content, frustrated, won't used
    > again)

    What i'll never (try to) use again are Dell deliverd PERC 3 controllers,
    i have cursed those controllers in every manner. While Perc 3 should be
    supported, the dell boxes had some kind of modified roms in them.
    (Last time i checked was on 3.4 i guess)

    > This new controller will become our new standard SCSI RAID controller, so
    > any bad experiences with bindows will also be noted too.

    Avoid all Prommise sata raid's like the pleague if you love your data.
    Rebuilding mirror...... [freeze] / [reboot] [id0-dead] [id-1-dead]
    **** happens. But it should not happen 1 out of 5 times.

    > Many thanks

    Cheers.

  3. Re: Known working (well) SCSI HW RAID card for OpenBSD 3.7

    Thanks Bas,

    Has anyone else tried the " Megatrends Inc. MegaRAID" controllers? Anyone
    else got SCSI HW RAID controller working?

    Thanks
    SJP

    "Pritchie" wrote in
    message news:khDle.299$ci4.202@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Has anyone yet install OpenBSD 3.7 onto a SCSI RAID controller with

    success.
    > Some months ago we purchased our standard Adaptec RAID controller (2120s
    > mainly for windows servers), did a brief HW list check and install OpenBSD
    > 3.6, wasn't brilliant (hoped 3.7 would be more stable), but it worked.
    >

    > Now after a more in-depth look on the web it seems Adaptec are @#!@~! (add
    > your own bad words here) and won't release technical documentation so that
    > the open source community can write stable drivers for their hardware.

    Due
    > to this I believe support for the cards above has been removed by OpenBSD
    > (as I cannot get the CD's or floppies to find the disks as in 3.6 and
    > 4.3)
    >

    > We therefore need to purchase replacement cards, however before we do, can
    > someone please tell me if they have installed OpenBSD 3.7 successfully

    using
    > any SCSI RAID controllers?
    >
    > If you have, please tell me
    >
    > - which one (make, model)?
    >
    > - for how long?
    >
    > - environment (commercial, private, development)
    >
    > - thoughts (highly recommend, happy, content, frustrated, won't used
    > again)
    >

    > This new controller will become our new standard SCSI RAID controller, so
    > any bad experiences with bindows will also be noted too.
    >

    > Many thanks
    >
    > SJP

+ Reply to Thread