RaidFrame and multiple arrays on same disks - BSD

This is a discussion on RaidFrame and multiple arrays on same disks - BSD ; Hi. I've been reading the man-pages for raid and raidctl but can't seem to find any info about the following scenario. If I have 4 identical disks, would it be possible to create the following configuration with RaidFrame? Array 1 ...

  1. RaidFrame and multiple arrays on same disks

    Hi.

    I've been reading the man-pages for raid and raidctl but can't seem to find
    any info about the following scenario. If I have 4 identical disks, would it
    be possible to create the following configuration with RaidFrame?

    Array 1 - RAID1
    50% of disk 1
    50% of disk 2

    Array 2 - RAID1
    50% of disk 3
    50% of disk 4

    Array 3 - RAID5
    Remaining 50% of disks 1, 2, 3 and 4

    How would the config files look to accomplish this? Should I create 2
    disklabels on each disk or could I define in the config that only part of
    the disklabel should be used for a certain array?

    An extra bonus would be if I could stripe the two RAID1-arrays thus creating
    one RAID10.

    Regards
    PP

  2. Re: RaidFrame and multiple arrays on same disks

    In article ,
    "transpetaflops" wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I've been reading the man-pages for raid and raidctl but can't seem to find
    > any info about the following scenario. If I have 4 identical disks, would it
    > be possible to create the following configuration with RaidFrame?
    >
    > Array 1 - RAID1
    > 50% of disk 1
    > 50% of disk 2
    >
    > Array 2 - RAID1
    > 50% of disk 3
    > 50% of disk 4
    >
    > Array 3 - RAID5
    > Remaining 50% of disks 1, 2, 3 and 4
    >
    > How would the config files look to accomplish this? Should I create 2
    > disklabels on each disk or could I define in the config that only part of
    > the disklabel should be used for a certain array?
    >
    > An extra bonus would be if I could stripe the two RAID1-arrays thus creating
    > one RAID10.

    as a starting point ...
    for each disk use disklabel to create 2 partitions (or type RAID)
    (using f and g)

    riad0.conf would be
    start array
    1 2 0
    start disks
    /dev/wd0f
    /dev/wd1f
    start layout
    32 1 1 1

    riad1.conf would be
    start array
    1 2 0
    start disks
    /dev/wd2f
    /dev/wd3f
    start layout
    32 1 1 1

    and riad2.conf would be
    start array
    1 4 0
    start disks
    /dev/wd0g
    /dev/wd1g
    /dev/wd2g
    /dev/wd3g
    start layout
    32 1 1 5

    disklabel up raid0 and raid1 with 1 partition each - h and the

    raid3.conf would be
    start array
    1 2 0
    start disks
    /dev/raid0h
    /dev/raid1h
    start layout
    32 1 1 0

    Note the above is a starting point that should give you one raid 5 on
    dec raid2 and a raid 10 on raid3

    hope that helps
    R.

  3. Re: RaidFrame and multiple arrays on same disks

    > as a starting point ...
    > for each disk use disklabel to create 2 partitions (or type RAID)
    > (using f and g)

    > Note the above is a starting point that should give you one raid 5 on
    > dec raid2 and a raid 10 on raid3
    >
    > hope that helps
    > R.

    Thanks Ryoko. I will try these examples and and see if I can make any sense
    of them. :-)
    /PP

  4. Re: RaidFrame and multiple arrays on same disks

    Yes it is possible;

    Take a look to my configuration (It's a netbsd box but It works the same
    manner).

    I have 4 disks splitted in 3 raid5 array. (note: that's really not a
    good setting for perf).
    This is not exactly what you but you can easily adapt to what you want.
    Anyway there are my conf files :

    1 . disklabel for my 4 disks :

    # /dev/rwd0d: (first disk , but all are identicals)
    type: ESDI
    disk: ESDI/IDE disk
    label: IBM0 #(name each disk to avoid confusion)
    flags:
    bytes/sector: 512
    sectors/track: 63
    tracks/cylinder: 16
    sectors/cylinder: 1008
    cylinders: 16383
    total sectors: 241254720
    rpm: 7200
    interleave: 1
    trackskew: 0
    cylinderskew: 0
    headswitch: 0 # microseconds
    track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
    drivedata: 0

    16 partitions:
    # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
    c: 241250000 63 unused 0 0
    e: 80416666 63 RAID
    f: 80416666 80416729 RAID
    g: 80416666 160833395 RAID

    2. raid0.conf :

    START array
    # numRow numCol numSpare
    1 4 0

    START disks
    /dev/wd0e
    /dev/wd1e
    /dev/wd2e
    /dev/wd3e

    START layout
    # sectPerSU SUsPerParityUnit SUsPerReconUnit RAID_level_5
    32 1 1 5

    START queue
    fifo 100

    3. raid1.conf :

    START array
    # numRow numCol numSpare
    1 4 0

    START disks
    /dev/wd0f
    /dev/wd1f
    /dev/wd2f
    /dev/wd3f

    START layout
    # sectPerSU SUsPerParityUnit SUsPerReconUnit RAID_level_5
    32 1 1 5

    START queue
    fifo 100

    etc...

    --
    raf

    transpetaflops wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've been reading the man-pages for raid and raidctl but can't seem to find
    > any info about the following scenario. If I have 4 identical disks, would it
    > be possible to create the following configuration with RaidFrame?
    >
    > Array 1 - RAID1
    > 50% of disk 1
    > 50% of disk 2
    >
    > Array 2 - RAID1
    > 50% of disk 3
    > 50% of disk 4
    >
    > Array 3 - RAID5
    > Remaining 50% of disks 1, 2, 3 and 4
    >
    > How would the config files look to accomplish this? Should I create 2
    > disklabels on each disk or could I define in the config that only part of
    > the disklabel should be used for a certain array?
    >
    > An extra bonus would be if I could stripe the two RAID1-arrays thus creating
    > one RAID10.
    >
    > Regards
    > PP

+ Reply to Thread