Open BSD ATH Signal Strength - BSD

This is a discussion on Open BSD ATH Signal Strength - BSD ; Hello All, I recently installed Open BSD 3.7 off disks I ordered from OpenBSD. I am trying to setup up a firewall/wireless access point. My wireless card is a Netgear WG311T. I have installed everything successfully, got the card up ...

  1. Open BSD ATH Signal Strength

    Hello All,

    I recently installed Open BSD 3.7 off disks I ordered from OpenBSD. I
    am
    trying to setup up a firewall/wireless access point.

    My wireless card is a Netgear WG311T.

    I have installed everything successfully, got the card up and running
    and
    manage to get my laptop, which only has an 802.11b card to connect
    successfully. I am also able to run the host in DHCP mode.

    My only problem is when it comes to range. When I am about 10 feet in
    the
    same room from the card, it seems fine. But when I go about 20 feet
    outside
    of the room with my laptop, the signal degrades very badly. Surely the
    range
    should be better than that?

    I tried a couple of things, including locking to the card down to
    802.11b,
    but that doesn't seem to help.

    It may just be the card itself, but can you think of anything else I
    can try
    to improve my range?

    Thanks

    Here's my configuration

    ------------
    hostname.ath0
    inet 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.255 media DS11 mediaopt hostap nwid
    Network Name> nwkey 0x chan 11 mode 11b
    ------------

    ---------------------------
    #ifconfig
    ath0: flags=8863 mtu
    1500
    address: 00:0f:b5:63:e0:4f
    ieee80211: nwid chan 11 bssid
    00:0f:b5:63:e0:4f
    nwkey 0x
    media: IEEE802.11 DS11 mode 11b hostap (autoselect mode 11b
    hostap)
    status: active
    inet6 fe80::20f:b5ff:fe63:e04f%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
    --------------------------

  2. Re: Open BSD ATH Signal Strength

    akbillon@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I recently installed Open BSD 3.7 off disks I ordered from OpenBSD. I
    > am
    > trying to setup up a firewall/wireless access point.
    >
    > My wireless card is a Netgear WG311T.
    >
    > I have installed everything successfully, got the card up and running
    > and
    > manage to get my laptop, which only has an 802.11b card to connect
    > successfully. I am also able to run the host in DHCP mode.
    >
    > My only problem is when it comes to range. When I am about 10 feet in
    > the
    > same room from the card, it seems fine. But when I go about 20 feet
    > outside
    > of the room with my laptop, the signal degrades very badly

    Are you in a RF shielded room?

    http://www.lessemf.com/faq-shie.html#celltower

+ Reply to Thread