Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse - BSD

This is a discussion on Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse - BSD ; Hi there, I recently discovered bug in ports that has kept me from using OpenBSD since its v2.x series. The problem is that my PS/2 mouse becomes erratic if I install Windowmaker or Openbox. When moved the mouse jumps all ...

  1. Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse

    Hi there,

    I recently discovered bug in ports that
    has kept me from using OpenBSD since
    its v2.x series.

    The problem is that my PS/2 mouse becomes erratic
    if I install Windowmaker or Openbox. When moved
    the mouse jumps all over the screen opening dialogs
    at will.

    I used to think this was a driver related bug but
    now that I by change tried the default Fvwm manager
    I started thinking otherwise.

    I have been triple booting to NetBSD 1.6.x/2.0.x
    and Gentoo/Slackware linux with the same
    hardware and windowmanagers but not had any problems
    with them. The serial mouse in OpenBSD works ok
    but I don't like having two mouses on my desk.

    How to repeat the problem with OpenBSD 3.7:

    Use generic kernel, configure X and start X =>
    the mouse behaves normally. Now exit X and
    install windowmaker/openbox and start X => the mouse
    is erratic.

    To recover:

    use pkg_delete to remove windowmaker/openbox and
    all their dependant packages. Start X to Fvwm =>
    mouse is still erratic. Reboot and start X =>
    mouse works OK.

    I have had this problem with three differend motherboards
    and three different graphics cards and as said before
    with all v3.x OpenBSDs. It occurs with Pentium and
    my current AMD64 systems.

    Any ideas?

    -pekka-

  2. Re: Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse

    Pekka Niiranen a écrit :
    > I have had this problem with three differend motherboards
    > and three different graphics cards and as said before
    > with all v3.x OpenBSDs. It occurs with Pentium and
    > my current AMD64 systems.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Do you use the wsmouse driver in your xorg.conf ?

  3. Re: Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse

    Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
    > Pekka Niiranen a écrit :
    >
    >> I have had this problem with three differend motherboards
    >> and three different graphics cards and as said before
    >> with all v3.x OpenBSDs. It occurs with Pentium and
    >> my current AMD64 systems.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Do you use the wsmouse driver in your xorg.conf ?

    Yes I do. I think the problem is related to
    my Belkin KVM switch. There are dozens of similar
    bug reports on net. However, why I experience
    problems with OpenBSD and certain windowmanagers
    remains a mystery.

    -pekka-

  4. Re: Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse

    pekka niiranen a écrit :
    > Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
    > Yes I do. I think the problem is related to
    > my Belkin KVM switch. There are dozens of similar
    > bug reports on net. However, why I experience
    > problems with OpenBSD and certain windowmanagers
    > remains a mystery.

    Well, I can tell you _this_ is your problem. I also have a Belkin KVM
    switch and experience the same problem under OpenBSD (and Linux).
    To my knowledge, there're no fix for that.

  5. Re: Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse: SOLUTION

    Thanks,

    I bought "Linksys Integrated KVM 2-port switch"
    (about 35 EUR) and problems disappeared.

    When I was using Belkin KVM the scroll wheel stopped working
    when switching from W2K to OpenBSD/Linux and back.
    Is was fixed too by Linksys.

    -pekka-

    Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
    > pekka niiranen a écrit :
    >
    >> Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
    >> Yes I do. I think the problem is related to
    >> my Belkin KVM switch. There are dozens of similar
    >> bug reports on net. However, why I experience
    >> problems with OpenBSD and certain windowmanagers
    >> remains a mystery.

    > Well, I can tell you _this_ is your problem. I also have a Belkin KVM
    > switch and experience the same problem under OpenBSD (and Linux).
    > To my knowledge, there're no fix for that.

+ Reply to Thread