Installation CD can't boot into serial console. - BSD

This is a discussion on Installation CD can't boot into serial console. - BSD ; Hi, I tried to boot the 5.4 Release installation CD into serial console by following the instruction as described below: 1. Connect some sort of ANSI (vt100) compatible terminal or terminal emulation program to the COM1 port of the PC ...

  1. Installation CD can't boot into serial console.

    Hi,

    I tried to boot the 5.4 Release installation CD into serial console by
    following the instruction as described below:

    1. Connect some sort of ANSI (vt100) compatible terminal or
    terminal emulation program to the COM1 port of the PC you are installing
    FreeBSD onto.

    2. Unplug the keyboard (yes, that's correct!) and then try to
    boot from floppy or the installation CDROM, depending on the type of
    installation media you have, with the keyboard unplugged.

    3. If you don't get any output on your serial console, plug
    the keyboard in again and wait for some beeps. If you are
    booting from the CDROM, proceed to Step 5 as soon as you hear
    the beep.

    4. For a floppy boot, the first beep means to remove the
    kern.flp floppy and insert the mfsroot.flp floppy, after
    which you should press enter and wait for another beep.

    5. Hit the space bar, then enter

    boot -h

    But I don't have any luck to see the "boot" prompt appear when
    continusly hitting space bars. CDROM is the first device to boot in the
    boot order list.

    What else I have missing in this procedure?

    Thanks
    Sam

  2. Re: Installation CD can't boot into serial console.

    "sam" wrote in message

    > I tried to boot the 5.4 Release installation CD into serial console by
    > following the instruction as described below:
    >
    > 1. Connect some sort of ANSI (vt100) compatible terminal or
    > terminal emulation program to the COM1 port of the PC you are installing
    > FreeBSD onto.

    > What else I have missing in this procedure?

    The fact that this is an OpenBSD newsgroup?

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  3. Re: Installation CD can't boot into serial console.

    sam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried to boot the 5.4 Release installation CD into serial console by
    > following the instruction as described below:
    >
    > 1. Connect some sort of ANSI (vt100) compatible terminal or
    > terminal emulation program to the COM1 port of the PC you are installing
    > FreeBSD onto.
    >
    > 2. Unplug the keyboard (yes, that's correct!) and then try to
    > boot from floppy or the installation CDROM, depending on the type of
    > installation media you have, with the keyboard unplugged.
    >
    > 3. If you don't get any output on your serial console, plug
    > the keyboard in again and wait for some beeps. If you are
    > booting from the CDROM, proceed to Step 5 as soon as you hear
    > the beep.
    >
    > 4. For a floppy boot, the first beep means to remove the
    > kern.flp floppy and insert the mfsroot.flp floppy, after
    > which you should press enter and wait for another beep.
    >
    > 5. Hit the space bar, then enter
    >
    > boot -h
    >
    > But I don't have any luck to see the "boot" prompt appear when
    > continusly hitting space bars. CDROM is the first device to boot in the
    > boot order list.
    >
    > What else I have missing in this procedure?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sam

    Are you sure your serial port is COM1? Some devices (mouse pads on
    portables, internal modems, IR devices, etc.) will emulate a COM port.
    Most do not use COM1/2 (though I've seen some modems do that), but if
    you have devices like that (and your problem isn't already resolved),
    you could try disabling them in BIOS.

  4. Re: Installation CD can't boot into serial console.

    Keme wrote:

    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I tried to boot the 5.4 Release installation CD into serial console by
    >> following the instruction as described below:
    >>
    >> 1. Connect some sort of ANSI (vt100) compatible terminal
    >> or terminal emulation program to the COM1 port of the PC you are
    >> installing
    >> FreeBSD onto.
    >>
    >> 2. Unplug the keyboard (yes, that's correct!) and then try to
    >> boot from floppy or the installation CDROM, depending on the type of
    >> installation media you have, with the keyboard unplugged.
    >>
    >> 3. If you don't get any output on your serial console, plug
    >> the keyboard in again and wait for some beeps. If you are
    >> booting from the CDROM, proceed to Step 5 as soon as you hear
    >> the beep.
    >>
    >> 4. For a floppy boot, the first beep means to remove the
    >> kern.flp floppy and insert the mfsroot.flp floppy, after
    >> which you should press enter and wait for another beep.
    >>
    >> 5. Hit the space bar, then enter
    >>
    >> boot -h
    >>
    >> But I don't have any luck to see the "boot" prompt appear when
    >> continusly hitting space bars. CDROM is the first device to boot in
    >> the boot order list.
    >>
    >> What else I have missing in this procedure?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Sam

    > Are you sure your serial port is COM1? Some devices (mouse pads on
    > portables, internal modems, IR devices, etc.) will emulate a COM port.
    > Most do not use COM1/2 (though I've seen some modems do that), but if
    > you have devices like that (and your problem isn't already resolved),
    > you could try disabling them in BIOS.

    this is an old IBM desktop with K6 running chipset. It has an internla
    modem card. but too frustrated to find out the problem I execute the
    same command with the same serial NULL cable, and it works with com1.

    Thanks
    sam

+ Reply to Thread