Multiple nics in OBSD box - BSD

This is a discussion on Multiple nics in OBSD box - BSD ; I'm going to need another nic in my box and need some feedback on implementation. Currently I have a dual port Intel card with one port going to my ADSL line and the other attached to my home LAN. I'm ...

  1. Multiple nics in OBSD box

    I'm going to need another nic in my box and need some feedback on
    implementation. Currently I have a dual port Intel card with one port
    going to my ADSL line and the other attached to my home LAN. I'm
    planning to add a wireless AP and would like to run both it and the
    wired LAN off the Intel card. I was planning to add an old 3c509b to
    connect to the ADSL line since I've run out of PCI slots on the board.
    It seemed like a decent choice since the ADSL line is only 640/256Kb.

    Can anyone using something similar comment on the
    advantages/disadvantages of such an implementation? Would I be better of
    buying some sort of 4port nic?

    TIA,
    Steve

  2. Re: Multiple nics in OBSD box

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:15:04 -0700, Generic wrote:

    > I'm going to need another nic in my box and need some feedback on
    > implementation. Currently I have a dual port Intel card with one port
    > going to my ADSL line and the other attached to my home LAN. I'm
    > planning to add a wireless AP and would like to run both it and the
    > wired LAN off the Intel card. I was planning to add an old 3c509b to
    > connect to the ADSL line since I've run out of PCI slots on the board.
    > It seemed like a decent choice since the ADSL line is only 640/256Kb.

    Why not just connect the WAP to the LAN switch? That works just fine here.

  3. Re: Multiple nics in OBSD box

    on Thu, 19 May 2005 at 03:15 GMT, Generic wrote:
    > I'm going to need another nic in my box and need some feedback on
    > implementation. Currently I have a dual port Intel card with one port
    > going to my ADSL line and the other attached to my home LAN. I'm
    > planning to add a wireless AP and would like to run both it and the
    > wired LAN off the Intel card. I was planning to add an old 3c509b to
    > connect to the ADSL line since I've run out of PCI slots on the board.
    > It seemed like a decent choice since the ADSL line is only 640/256Kb.
    >
    > Can anyone using something similar comment on the
    > advantages/disadvantages of such an implementation? Would I be better of
    > buying some sort of 4port nic?

    4 different interfaces... works like charm.

    Regards, Peter
    --
    Micro Credo:
    Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.

    MSN/Mail: pboosten at hotmail dot com

  4. Re: Multiple nics in OBSD box

    don't use the 3com. you won't be happy.

  5. Re: Multiple nics in OBSD box

    Peter Boosten wrote:
    [...]
    > 4 different interfaces... works like charm.

    Lucky guy.

    Seems problems with non-working multiple nics has a lot to do with the mobo.

    I have about a dozen boards in various boxes ranging in age from decrepit to
    middle aged (i.e. 2 yo).

    Most don't seem to handle 2 of the same type of (I admit: el cheapo mucho)
    card. But they all seem to handle multiple nics of different types.

    The fact the kinds of problems seem to change when cards are moved between
    slots tends to tell me it's more the mobo's problem (e.g. which slot
    gets which subset of irqs) than the nic or an xBSD driver (although some of
    these are also known to be "problematic").

  6. Re: Multiple nics in OBSD box

    In article ,
    daveuhring@yahoo.com says...
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:15:04 -0700, Generic wrote:
    >
    > > I'm going to need another nic in my box and need some feedback on
    > > implementation. Currently I have a dual port Intel card with one port
    > > going to my ADSL line and the other attached to my home LAN. I'm
    > > planning to add a wireless AP and would like to run both it and the
    > > wired LAN off the Intel card. I was planning to add an old 3c509b to
    > > connect to the ADSL line since I've run out of PCI slots on the board.
    > > It seemed like a decent choice since the ADSL line is only 640/256Kb.

    > Why not just connect the WAP to the LAN switch? That works just fine here.

    Rather than use a stand alone AP I wanted to get a PCI based 802.11 card
    and run it in host-ap mode.

  7. Re: Multiple nics in OBSD box

    tedu wrote:

    > don't use the 3com. you won't be happy.

    Why's that? I thought 3com and Intel PCI ethernet cards are reliable for
    BSD?
    Sam.

+ Reply to Thread