aac support in kernel - BSD

This is a discussion on aac support in kernel - BSD ; Let me start off by saying, I am completely behind OpenBSD's stance on disabling Adaptec raid support (aac) in the kernel of the 3.7 release and future releases. The way the open source community has been treated by these companies ...

  1. aac support in kernel

    Let me start off by saying, I am completely behind OpenBSD's stance on
    disabling Adaptec raid support (aac) in the kernel of the 3.7 release
    and future releases. The way the open source community has been treated
    by these companies is abhorrent and without people standing up and
    asking for documentation we will end up with insufficient software,
    hacks and otherwise unscrupulous work a rounds that frankly don't cut
    it in a NOC. As an aside, we run a complete Dell shop with
    perc3(Adaptec) based cards and though I have no future plans as of this
    time to buy Adaptec in the future. Is there a walk through out there to
    turn aac back on so that I can build a cdrom installation that works?

  2. Re: aac support in kernel

    Andrew wrote:
    > Let me start off by saying, I am completely behind OpenBSD's stance on
    > disabling Adaptec raid support (aac) in the kernel of the 3.7 release
    > and future releases. The way the open source community has been treated
    > by these companies is abhorrent and without people standing up and
    > asking for documentation we will end up with insufficient software,
    > hacks and otherwise unscrupulous work a rounds that frankly don't cut
    > it in a NOC. As an aside, we run a complete Dell shop with
    > perc3(Adaptec) based cards and though I have no future plans as of this
    > time to buy Adaptec in the future. Is there a walk through out there to
    > turn aac back on so that I can build a cdrom installation that works?

    Update, I was able to install by following the upgrade guide from 3.6 to
    3.7, although not as clean as possible, it works.

  3. Re: aac support in kernel

    Andrew wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Let me start off by saying, I am completely behind OpenBSD's stance on
    >> disabling Adaptec raid support (aac) in the kernel of the 3.7 release
    >> and future releases. The way the open source community has been
    >> treated by these companies is abhorrent and without people standing up
    >> and asking for documentation we will end up with insufficient
    >> software, hacks and otherwise unscrupulous work a rounds that frankly
    >> don't cut it in a NOC. As an aside, we run a complete Dell shop with
    >> perc3(Adaptec) based cards and though I have no future plans as of
    >> this time to buy Adaptec in the future. Is there a walk through out
    >> there to turn aac back on so that I can build a cdrom installation
    >> that works?

    > Update, I was able to install by following the upgrade guide from 3.6 to
    > 3.7, although not as clean as possible, it works.

    After some further work on a different machine, I was able to get 3.7
    installed without using 3.6. I made a RAMDISK_CD kernel with aac in
    /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/ then went into
    /usr/src/distrib/i386/ramdisk_cd and did a make. I found the bsd.rd in
    /usr/obj/distrib/i386/ramdisk_cd and was able to use that to boot with
    the enabled aac support. Note I also had to build a GENERIC kernel with
    aac support, to use after the install. Obviously aac is no longer
    supported in the kernel, so do with this info. what you will.

+ Reply to Thread