PCMCIA diagnosis - newbie - BSD

This is a discussion on PCMCIA diagnosis - newbie - BSD ; I've just installed OpenBSD 3.6 on a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop, and I find that my Linksys wpc11 version 3 wifi card isn't recognized. I see that in dmesg, I get four instances of: pcmcia0 at cardslot0 pcmcia0 at cardslot0 ...

  1. PCMCIA diagnosis - newbie

    I've just installed OpenBSD 3.6 on a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop, and I find
    that my Linksys wpc11 version 3 wifi card isn't recognized.

    I see that in dmesg, I get four instances of:
    pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    pcmcia0 at cardslot0

    but the card's power indicator LED is off, and there's no mention of Linksys
    in the dmesg.

    ifconfig doesn't show anything relevant. iwconfig doesn't seem to exist.
    Is iwconfig just a FreeBSD (or some other OS) thing, or did I miss the
    package that contains iwconfig?

    Can someone point me to a general procedure for diagnosing this problem?

    Thanks!
    dumb newbie

  2. Re: PCMCIA diagnosis - newbie

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:59:54 +0000, Mr. Paranoid to you! wrote:

    > I've just installed OpenBSD 3.6 on a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop, and I find
    > that my Linksys wpc11 version 3 wifi card isn't recognized.
    >
    > I see that in dmesg, I get four instances of:
    > pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    > pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    > pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    > pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >
    > but the card's power indicator LED is off, and there's no mention of Linksys
    > in the dmesg.
    >
    > ifconfig doesn't show anything relevant. iwconfig doesn't seem to exist.
    > Is iwconfig just a FreeBSD (or some other OS) thing, or did I miss the
    > package that contains iwconfig?
    >
    > Can someone point me to a general procedure for diagnosing this problem?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > dumb newbie

    Hello Mr. Paranoid;

    I have a IBM Thinkpad 600E running OpenBSD 3.6 with a wpc11 ver.3 card
    No problems here. dmesg:
    pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    pcmcia1 at cardslot1
    wi0 at pcmcia1 function 0 "The Linksys Group, Inc., Instant Wireless Network PC Card, ISL37300P" port 0xa000/64
    wi0: PRISM3 ISL37300P, Firmware 1.1.0 (primary), 1.4.2 (station), address 00:06:25:2b:01:0e

    Is your wpc11 in working condition? (I.E. works on another laptop)
    If you have more than one PCMCIA slot, did you try all?
    Are those PCMCIA slots working with other cards?

    Rudy

    P.S.
    You can find "iwconfig" in some Linux distributions.

  3. Re: PCMCIA diagnosis - newbie

    God Rudy wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:59:54 +0000, Mr. Paranoid to you! wrote:
    >
    >> I've just installed OpenBSD 3.6 on a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop, and I
    >> find that my Linksys wpc11 version 3 wifi card isn't recognized.
    >>
    >> I see that in dmesg, I get four instances of:
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >>
    >> but the card's power indicator LED is off, and there's no mention of
    >> Linksys in the dmesg.
    >>
    >> ifconfig doesn't show anything relevant. iwconfig doesn't seem to exist.
    >> Is iwconfig just a FreeBSD (or some other OS) thing, or did I miss the
    >> package that contains iwconfig?
    >>
    >> Can someone point me to a general procedure for diagnosing this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> dumb newbie

    > Hello Mr. Paranoid;
    >
    > I have a IBM Thinkpad 600E running OpenBSD 3.6 with a wpc11 ver.3 card
    > No problems here. dmesg:
    > pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    > pcmcia1 at cardslot1
    > wi0 at pcmcia1 function 0 "The Linksys Group, Inc., Instant Wireless
    > Network PC Card, ISL37300P" port 0xa000/64 wi0: PRISM3 ISL37300P, Firmware
    > 1.1.0 (primary), 1.4.2 (station), address 00:06:25:2b:01:0e
    >
    > Is your wpc11 in working condition? (I.E. works on another laptop)
    > If you have more than one PCMCIA slot, did you try all?
    > Are those PCMCIA slots working with other cards?
    >
    > Rudy
    >
    > P.S.
    > You can find "iwconfig" in some Linux distributions.

    Thanks, God Rudy.

    The wpc11 works fine everywhere else.
    I only have one pcmcia slot.
    I haven't tried the slot with another card, but will soon.

    Lee (Mr. Paranoid)

  4. Re: PCMCIA diagnosis - newbie

    God Rudy wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:59:54 +0000, Mr. Paranoid to you! wrote:
    >
    >> I've just installed OpenBSD 3.6 on a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop, and I
    >> find that my Linksys wpc11 version 3 wifi card isn't recognized.
    >>
    >> I see that in dmesg, I get four instances of:
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    >>
    >> but the card's power indicator LED is off, and there's no mention of
    >> Linksys in the dmesg.
    >>
    >> ifconfig doesn't show anything relevant. iwconfig doesn't seem to exist.
    >> Is iwconfig just a FreeBSD (or some other OS) thing, or did I miss the
    >> package that contains iwconfig?
    >>
    >> Can someone point me to a general procedure for diagnosing this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> dumb newbie

    > Hello Mr. Paranoid;
    >
    > I have a IBM Thinkpad 600E running OpenBSD 3.6 with a wpc11 ver.3 card
    > No problems here. dmesg:
    > pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    > pcmcia1 at cardslot1
    > wi0 at pcmcia1 function 0 "The Linksys Group, Inc., Instant Wireless
    > Network PC Card, ISL37300P" port 0xa000/64 wi0: PRISM3 ISL37300P, Firmware
    > 1.1.0 (primary), 1.4.2 (station), address 00:06:25:2b:01:0e
    >
    > Is your wpc11 in working condition? (I.E. works on another laptop)
    > If you have more than one PCMCIA slot, did you try all?
    > Are those PCMCIA slots working with other cards?
    >
    > Rudy
    >
    > P.S.
    > You can find "iwconfig" in some Linux distributions.

    I've tried a network pcmcia card, and it doesn't seem to work either. But,
    it could be a conflict with the existing card. I just stuck in the card,
    rebooted, and ran ifconfig -a, and didn't see anything new.

+ Reply to Thread