Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages - BSD ; Jan L?hr wrote: > Greetings, > > I recently decieded to do some experiments with OpenBSD, I set up my box > today. However, I still have some troubles, surprised ain't yeh > 1st. > I'm still looking for a ...

  1. Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages

    Jan L?hr wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I recently decieded to do some experiments with OpenBSD, I set up my box
    > today. However, I still have some troubles, surprised ain't yeh
    > 1st.
    > I'm still looking for a way to install packages efficiently.
    > Currently I do, (as told on http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#Packages)
    > Look at http://www.openbsd.org/3.6_packages/ for the right name.
    > manually type:
    > pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/packages/i386/$name.tgz.

    you should also read the pkg_add(1) and packages(7) man pages.
    they will tell you you can use the PKG_PATH environment variable to make
    things easier.

    > Press enter I home, that everything works allright. (However, things just
    > don't work that good, because links misses libX11.so.8.0, although I expect
    > him to start without X, but obviously some depencies went mad)

    there is a -no_x11 flavor for the links package. read about flavors in
    porst(7).

  2. Re: Installaling packages

    steven mestdagh wrote:
    > there is a -no_x11 flavor for the links package. read about flavors

    in
    > porst(7).

    Correction: ports(7)

    There's a pre-built package for popular flavors. For example, the
    package for no_x11 links is:

    If you're looking to use ports....
    I use this from the documentation for ports
    :
    -> env FLAVOR="-no_x11" make install

    You have to be in the "links" ports directory for it work, obviously.
    Check the makefile or other documentation to see what flavors are
    available. This will do everything including installing it.

    You can use that same format for other packages also. Just change your
    directory and the flavor variable's value.

+ Reply to Thread