Re: ntpd not listening ? - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: ntpd not listening ? - BSD ; The offset between client and server ntpd musn't be more than 1000 seconds or so to start synching. Furthermore, ntpd doesn't set your client to the appropriate time, it's more a speeding up / slowing down the clock until the ...

  1. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    The offset between client and server ntpd musn't be more than 1000 seconds
    or so to start synching. Furthermore, ntpd doesn't set your client to the
    appropriate time, it's more a speeding up / slowing down the clock until
    the actual time is met. This process may consume some time.
    Greets,
    Dorian

  2. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    In article , dorian.buettner@gmx.de says...
    > The offset between client and server ntpd musn't be more than 1000 seconds
    > or so to start synching. Furthermore, ntpd doesn't set your client to the
    > appropriate time, it's more a speeding up / slowing down the clock until
    > the actual time is met. This process may consume some time.
    > Greets,
    > Dorian

    The problem is not related to maintaining time on the OpenBSD machine with ntpd,
    that works great.

    What I am trying to troubleshoot is having a different client get time from the
    OpenBSD system. Since there is not even a response to the query from the client,
    it appears to me that there is more of a problem than being off by too much.

  3. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    George Pontis wrote:

    > In article , dorian.buettner@gmx.de
    > says...
    >> The offset between client and server ntpd musn't be more than 1000
    >> seconds or so to start synching. Furthermore, ntpd doesn't set your
    >> client to the appropriate time, it's more a speeding up / slowing down
    >> the clock until the actual time is met. This process may consume some
    >> time. Greets,
    >> Dorian
    >>

    > The problem is not related to maintaining time on the OpenBSD machine with
    > ntpd, that works great.
    >
    > What I am trying to troubleshoot is having a different client get time
    > from the OpenBSD system. Since there is not even a response to the query
    > from the client, it appears to me that there is more of a problem than
    > being off by too much.

    Check /etc/ntpd.conf. Right at the end there's a bit that restricts access.

  4. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    In article , invalid@frequentous.co.uk
    says...
    > George Pontis wrote:
    >
    > > In article , dorian.buettner@gmx.de
    > > says...
    > >> The offset between client and server ntpd musn't be more than 1000
    > >> seconds or so to start synching. Furthermore, ntpd doesn't set your
    > >> client to the appropriate time, it's more a speeding up / slowing down
    > >> the clock until the actual time is met. This process may consume some
    > >> time. Greets,
    > >> Dorian
    > >>

    > > The problem is not related to maintaining time on the OpenBSD machine with
    > > ntpd, that works great.
    > >
    > > What I am trying to troubleshoot is having a different client get time
    > > from the OpenBSD system. Since there is not even a response to the query
    > > from the client, it appears to me that there is more of a problem than
    > > being off by too much.

    > Check /etc/ntpd.conf. Right at the end there's a bit that restricts access.

    The only thing that I see is "listen on ...", and I have that covered already.

    With some further experimenting I find that ntpd does listen and respond to a
    different machine, and the other machine listens and responds to the original
    client. For some unknown reason ntpd does not respond to the original client. That
    client is an Efficient 5930 DSL router, which is said to observe V4 SNTP. I see
    that there are many ntpd changes in 3.7, some of which affect compatibility.
    Perhaps the fix will be found there.

  5. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    Hi,
    this is just another guess in the blue - in your original post you mentioned
    'native ntpd' which should be specified as either native shipped with O'BSD
    or the ntp daemon that is usually used around.
    The thing found in O'BSD base system from 3.6 onward is basically different
    from the 'original' implementation that can be found as port in net/ntp.
    And if I got things right they're incompatible. You may want to search
    undeadly for further discussion on this topic.
    Hope this helps,
    Dorian

  6. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    On 19/05/2005 8:55 PM, Dorian BŁttner wrote:

    > this is just another guess in the blue - in your original post you mentioned
    > 'native ntpd' which should be specified as either native shipped with O'BSD
    > or the ntp daemon that is usually used around.
    > The thing found in O'BSD base system from 3.6 onward is basically different
    > from the 'original' implementation that can be found as port in net/ntp.
    > And if I got things right they're incompatible. You may want to search
    > undeadly for further discussion on this topic.
    > Hope this helps,

    Interesting. I have a stable of OS X boxes that get their times from a
    single OBSD box running ntpd from the base install. No problems there.
    Only change I made to ntpd.conf is "listen on 10.0.0.254" to bind it to
    the internal NIC.

  7. Re: ntpd not listening ?

    In article , dorian.buettner@gmx.de says...
    > Hi,
    > this is just another guess in the blue - in your original post you mentioned
    > 'native ntpd' which should be specified as either native shipped with O'BSD
    > or the ntp daemon that is usually used around.
    > The thing found in O'BSD base system from 3.6 onward is basically different
    > from the 'original' implementation that can be found as port in net/ntp.
    > And if I got things right they're incompatible. You may want to search
    > undeadly for further discussion on this topic.
    > Hope this helps,
    > Dorian

    I have been using the ntp daemon that is installed with OpenBSD 3.6. I just
    upgraded to 3.7 and tried the updated daemon but it still does not respond to
    these particular clients. Even when I run in debug mode, there is absolutely no
    indication that the daemon ever sees the request.

    Since everything else on the network gets time from this same OpenBSD box, I
    simply redirected the request for these problem clients to a slave and that slave
    "forwards" the time to them successfully. The slave happens to be a Windows 2000
    server.

+ Reply to Thread