Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages - BSD ; On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:12:12 +0200, Jan Lühr reported to us: >Greetings, > >I recently decieded to do some experiments with OpenBSD, I set up my box >today. However, I still have some troubles, surprised ain't yeh >1st. >I'm ...

  1. Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:12:12 +0200, Jan Lühr reported
    to us:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I recently decieded to do some experiments with OpenBSD, I set up my box
    >today. However, I still have some troubles, surprised ain't yeh
    >1st.
    >I'm still looking for a way to install packages efficiently.
    >Currently I do, (as told on http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#Packages)
    >Look at http://www.openbsd.org/3.6_packages/ for the right name.
    >manually type:
    >pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/packages/i386/$name.tgz.
    >
    >Press enter I home, that everything works allright. (However, things just
    >don't work that good, because links misses libX11.so.8.0, although I expect
    >him to start without X, but obviously some depencies went mad)
    >
    >Am I just spoiled by apt-* or is there a more efficient way to install
    >packages?
    >
    >Keep smiling
    >yanosz

    Look for pkg_path. Set that before you begin. If there are dependent
    packages it will know where to find them.

    Wally

    "No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
    Sir Frederick G. Banting

  2. Re: [Newbie] Installaling packages

    Greetings,

    Wally Bedford wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:12:12 +0200, Jan Lühr reported
    > to us:
    >
    >>Greetings,
    >>
    >>I recently decieded to do some experiments with OpenBSD, I set up my box
    >>today. However, I still have some troubles, surprised ain't yeh
    >>1st.
    >>I'm still looking for a way to install packages efficiently.
    >>Currently I do, (as told on http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#Packages)
    >>Look at http://www.openbsd.org/3.6_packages/ for the right name.
    >>manually type:
    >>pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/packages/i386/$name.tgz.
    >>
    >>Press enter I home, that everything works allright. (However, things just
    >>don't work that good, because links misses libX11.so.8.0, although I
    >>expect him to start without X, but obviously some depencies went mad)
    >>
    >>Am I just spoiled by apt-* or is there a more efficient way to install
    >>packages?
    >>
    >>Keep smiling
    >>yanosz

    > Look for pkg_path. Set that before you begin. If there are dependent
    > packages it will know where to find them.

    Thanks, perhaps this ought to be in the FAQ as well...

    Keep smiling
    yanosz

+ Reply to Thread