Other ways to boot FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Other ways to boot FreeBSD - BSD ; Hi, /boot/loader is the boot loader which boots the FreeBSD kernel and systems. Are there ways to utilize an other boot loader to load the FreeBSD kernel? Regards, Frank de Bot...

  1. Other ways to boot FreeBSD

    Hi,

    /boot/loader is the boot loader which boots the FreeBSD kernel and systems.

    Are there ways to utilize an other boot loader to load the FreeBSD kernel?

    Regards,

    Frank de Bot

  2. Re: Other ways to boot FreeBSD

    Frank writes:

    > /boot/loader is the boot loader which boots the FreeBSD kernel and systems.
    >
    > Are there ways to utilize an other boot loader to load the FreeBSD kernel?

    Not really, although you could always write one.

    I suspect, though, that what you want is to replace an earlier stage
    of the bootstrap process, not loader(8). For example, there are
    several bootloaders in ports/sysutils which you can use instead of
    boot0 to pass control to the FreeBSD slice.
    See, for example, the FAQ entry "How do I boot FreeBSD and Linux using
    GRUB":
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ml#GRUB-LOADER

+ Reply to Thread